Video You Digivision - A word of caution

sydras

Skilled
I've recently seen a lot of ads for this You Digivision service with a picture of a Scientific Atlanta Z60 DVB(digital video broadcaster) being provided by them.

I have one of these such boxes provided by my cable operator to replace my Zenega DVB. I'd just like to share my experience with this Z60 DVB.

The Z60 is manufactured by Scientific Atlanta which is associated with Cisco. One would imagine that a Cisco backed company would produce a decent set top box but I've found the Z60 extremely difficult to use and downright disgusting most of the time.

I used to crib about my Zenega DVB but the Z60 has managed to take user unfriendliness to a new level. For starters, channels are not selectable with the 0-9 keys on the remote. They also can't be changed with the 4 direction circular pad. Setting favourites is very difficult and unlike my old DVB, a menu of available channels does not exist.

A user has no way of knowing where a particular channel is and has to wade through a bunch of channels whose positions are decided by your cable wallah. In this day and age of flexibility, the Z60 behaves like something from the distant past. Hell, there was more flexibility on an 80's TV remote.

The only way to alleviate one's suffering to some extent is to create a favourites list and remember the channel positions from say 1-20(remember you still can't just simply use the 0-9 keys which makes me wonder why they were provided in the first place :no: ). Even that is very difficult to do.

I don't have the time to do a complete review of the device but I just want to warn people considering this new "You Digivision" service. I would expect this kind of set from some cheap chinese company but not from a Cisco affiliated company :no: .

Seems like consumer friendliness is just not considered by cable operators these days. Right now, I am the only one using this box whenever I can and my mom has just thrown the remote in a corner as she can't figure out how to use it. I would suggest you spare your family the trauma of using such a device.

Seems you have been given a faulty box/remote. I am using this same STB provided by my cable operator, but its woking fine. This was the second box, the initial one he brought would not stat at all, it was not configured.

Yes there is glitch that I cannot programme my own faves. But its has al the channels sorted beforehand.

There also a cool feature where in I can watch 4 News channels or 4 cartoon channels together and switch between them. Mine is working fine and its much faster than aTata SKy or Disht TV STB. Channel swicthing is relly better with this box.
Let me know if you need more help on this.

Google and get the manual (which is not truly updated) from the Scientific atlanta Website.

ElectroManiac said:
Seems you have been given a faulty box/remote. I am using this same STB provided by my cable operator, but its woking fine. This was the second box, the initial one he brought would not stat at all, it was not configured.
Can you elaborate? I did not say it was faulty :S . Just that it is difficult to use. Mine works ok.

ElectroManiac said:
Yes there is glitch that I cannot programme my own faves. But its has al the channels sorted beforehand.
It should not be that way right? I mean, I should be able to decide how the channels are sorted. Anyway, I now use the favourites only.

ElectroManiac said:
There also a cool feature where in I can watch 4 News channels or 4 cartoon channels together and switch between them. Mine is working fine and its much faster than aTata SKy or Disht TV STB. Channel swicthing is relly better with this box.
Let me know if you need more help on this.
Google and get the manual (which is not truly updated) from the Scientific atlanta Website.
I don't know about watching 4 channels together. But maybe you can post how to do that. W.r.t it being fast, it's nothing compared to how fast I can switch channels on my TV and it's still slower than my former Zenega DVB. My gripe is mainly that there is poor usuability of these remotes that come with these set top boxes nowadays.

not able to change challens is not something new. it is the same in the United States. It makes it easier when people say channel 20 is not working, so they dont have to wonder which channel is number 20, also anywhere u go where its the same service , channel 20 wil be the same. :)

SharekhaN said:
not able to change challens is not something new. it is the same in the United States. It makes it easier when people say channel 20 is not working, so they dont have to wonder which channel is number 20, also anywhere u go where its the same service , channel 20 wil be the same. :)

Yes, I often wondered about that. I've often heard references on some british TV shows wherein they refer to the news or something on channel 5. Someone then told me that a certain no.of channels are always reserved for national broadcast or something like that :p .

Btw, I just checked my box and found out that it starts from channel 101 and ends at channel 981 :O . Don't think there's any logic here.

Also, did I mention that this crappy box has to boot everytime I switch on the TV. I guess most boxes do. My old one had to search service too but was ready for use in 10 seconds. This damn Scientific Atllanta takes a whole minute to be ready :mad: .

Back