Linux Your favourite linux distro?

Hi all, a bit off topic but hopefully someone can help me. I'm getting very slow speeds in Ubuntu 20.04 while using the apt function for downloading anything - I get barely 100kBps on my 300Mbps connection. Have tried changing to different servers in India as well as globally (using rhe settings from "Software & Updates") but to no avail. I was using Manjaro a few days ago and was getting about 1000-3000kBps using yay, but this is absurdly slow for me.

Any pointers?

Hi all, a bit off topic but hopefully someone can help me. I'm getting very slow speeds in Ubuntu 20.04 while using the apt function for downloading anything - I get barely 100kBps on my 300Mbps connection. Have tried changing to different servers in India as well as globally (using rhe settings from "Software & Updates") but to no avail. I was using Manjaro a few days ago and was getting about 1000-3000kBps using yay, but this is absurdly slow for me.

Any pointers?
Issue may be with your wifi drivers. Do a speed test and check

It's a wired connection to my desktop, and drivers are correctly installed. I get 250-300mbps as per speed.cloudflare.com, but slow speeds with anything from terminal
Issue may be with your wifi drivers. Do a speed test and check
Actually never mind, speeds are back to 4Mbps+ once I rebooted after changing server to Main Server.

Last edited:
It might be a temporary issue with the Ubuntu India mirror hosted by Esto or it might be using IIT server which is always slow.

Ensure your servers specified in /etc/apt/sources.list file is in.archive.ubuntu.com and you can change the country code from "in.xxx" to European server such as Germany, Sweden, France etc... which are de se fr respectively.

On my bsnl 300mbps connection I get decent speeds from dk.archive.ubuntu.com mirror.

But I get very slow speeds from ppa.launchpad.net server.

Btw try this tool called apt-fast it is hosted on github and maintained... it uses aria to download in multiple chunks which boost the speed a lot. Check it out @TheCoolerPlayer

Back