Storage Solutions Your Pen Drive Might be Fake

The grey market is really a big challenge to vendors, distributors and consumers as well.

Nidhi Sethi, Sales Director, Flash Business, Kingston India has some inputs in this article, "Your Pen Drive Might be Fake".
We do hope the information is helpful for you, thanks!

Kingston Blog

Cheers,
Kingston Technology

Thanks for the link, and yes, stopping fakes is a big challenge. After my first experience with one of these, will never trust my data with unbranded stuff.

I bought a genuine Kingston Class memory card with bill (authentic seal and packing). But it didn't work more than 3 months. Comes with lifetime warranty but I see no means, no POIs to get it RMAd.

In short an original thing worked for 3 months. I'd prefer a fake one, if it works longer.

Spacescreamer said:
^^ Not a very strong reasoning to justify the purchase of fakes.
Not justifying the fakes. Just trying to accentuate the fact that to the end user what all matters is the livability of the product. Wouldn't you prefer a fake that works twice better than the original ? I'd. So mentioned.

I bought three cards later from SanDisk (including a 32GB, even when kingston was cheaper). To me after sales services matter. Otherwise whats the point in buying the originals ?

I remember reading an article posted here on how to make out fakes from real ones (Kingston pen drives).

It actually gave steps on how to check after you buy it and open the pack and all :p

Now that might not be extremely useful but can however surely tell you that you've been duped.

The problem with the pen drive i have is that once, on just falling from my hand, all the data was lost. Since then, am not trusting such products.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
I bought a genuine Kingston Class memory card with bill (authentic seal and packing). But it didn't work more than 3 months. Comes with lifetime warranty but I see no means, no POIs to get it RMAd.

In short an original thing worked for 3 months. I'd prefer a fake one, if it works longer.

Sure, an interesting way of justifying why to buy fakes................
Spacescreamer said:
^^ Not a very strong reasoning to justify the purchase of fakes.

Amen.
kestrel5915 said:
I remember reading an article posted here on how to make out fakes from real ones (Kingston pen drives).

It actually gave steps on how to check after you buy it and open the pack and all :p

Now that might not be extremely useful but can however surely tell you that you've been duped.

Yup. After which you have been duped, royally! :bleh:

But by checking the importer labels and all, we can check if genuine or not. Plus the quality of the product, the finishing will not be good.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also apart from mentioning about what steps are being taken to reduce fakes, it would be helpful if you mention a complete point list of how to identify them.

Kingston drives are all over stations and local trains in Mumbai of late and you can buy like 4gb for 100 bucks, presumably they are fakes so with the amount of stock I have seen all over the local station how does one make make sure one is getting a genuine Kingston drive or tell the real from the fake? I don't see any tips in the article from Kingston or other vendors on how one can do this. Can the Kingston rep here please let us know.

Vasishta.Sushant said:
Not justifying the fakes. Just trying to accentuate the fact that to the end user what all matters is the livability of the product. Wouldn't you prefer a fake that works twice better than the original ? I'd. So mentioned.

Well just cuz u got unlucky doesnt means u got to play a russian roulette with urself. Problem would be that every chamber gonna be loaded and u ll have only yourself to be blame later on.

Dunno how come a member like you came up with the justification like that mate. Its more like better than what they hoped for when they were manufacturing those fake stuff.

raul said:
Kingston drives are all over stations and local trains in Mumbai of late and you can buy like 4gb for 100 bucks, presumably they are fakes so with the amount of stock I have seen all over the local station how does one make make sure one is getting a genuine Kingston drive or tell the real from the fake? I don't see any tips in the article from Kingston or other vendors on how one can do this. Can the Kingston rep here please let us know.

Trains and stations are not the place to be purchasing such products. You purchase from place like a proper shop which have been in the trade since long or from sites like TE where you get the support readily.

raul said:

Dear raul,

You can get some tips here:
Kingston Blog
or play this game to know more:
Search For Genuine Kingston Products

But most tips can only let you know it is fake after you have purchased the products.
The best way is still to purchase from our official distributors, resellers or retailers.
To recognize the distributor's sticker on the package might be a pratical way.
And it would be more recommended if you can check our distributor list and contact with them before purchasing.
Kingston Technology Company - Where To Buy - India

Cheers,
Kingston Technology

vivek.krishnan said:
The problem with the pen drive i have is that once, on just falling from my hand, all the data was lost. Since then, am not trusting such products.

in that department the transcend ones have a better durability :p

my friends have literally broken my pen drive when i had loaned it to them but it is still working fine. :)

the cover is broken but with a cello tape job and its still working as good as new.

ggt said:
in that department the transcend ones have a better durability :p

my friends have literally broken my pen drive when i had loaned it to them but it is still working fine. :)

the cover is broken but with a cello tape job and its still working as good as new.

I know buddy, this was the only time i lost the data! Since then, i am not using the drive at all.

Back