Windows Your preferred backup method for installed Windows 10

Pimpom

Disciple
Can you please share your preferred method of backing up a Windows 10 installation to a bootable USB drive?
I know there's a ton of information out there and I've read some of them. What I'm asking for is your personal experience and preference in terms of speed, ease of use and restoration.

Note: In the old days (Windows 98 - Win7), I used the DOS version of Norton Ghost many many times for myself as well as for others. The DOS version didn't need installation and could be run from a floppy disk, CD, thumb drive, Hiren's Boot Disk or the HDD itself. But it no longer works for GPT/UEFI systems.

Just to clarify, you're asking about backing up the entire install including installed programs, settings, all files in the user profile folders, etc?

Basically yes. Although it's more likely to be used for the basic Windows installation without drivers, programs, settings, etc.

To continue with my reference to Norton Ghost:
I used it for both basic Windows installations and for everything - drivers, programs, settings. With the hardware of 25 years ago, it took a few minutes to back up and restore a basic Win98, longer with everything else installed. Those times grew shorter as hardware became more powerful until Win98 could be restored in 15-20 seconds. The same thing happened with Windows Me, XP and 7 (I never used Vista or 8).

For a fresh install, I used to windows boot media creation tool and use the usb drive that it created.

I used this for cloning.

I used that for an ssd to ssd but I think it can do usb drives also.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I know about Macrium Reflect, MiniTool, EaseUS, Windows' built-in backup tool and a host of others.
I have to get up earlier than usual tomorrow. So saying good night. I'll check the thread again later.

Can you please share your preferred method of backing up a Windows 10 installation to a bootable USB drive?
I know there's a ton of information out there and I've read some of them. What I'm asking for is your personal experience and preference in terms of speed, ease of use and restoration.

Note: In the old days (Windows 98 - Win7), I used the DOS version of Norton Ghost many many times for myself as well as for others. The DOS version didn't need installation and could be run from a floppy disk, CD, thumb drive, Hiren's Boot Disk or the HDD itself. But it no longer works for GPT/UEFI systems.
Do you require a solution for only 1 PC, few (5 to 10) or many (50+) ?
Or if you can share, why backup only to bootable USB drive.

Or if you can share, why backup only to bootable USB drive.
Not backup TO a bootable USB, OP means they want to boot from a USB drive and image an Windows partition

@OP Clonezilla is free, fast, and looks like DOS too. Used it as recently as a few days ago.
I have an E2B USB drive containing multiple ISO utilites in case of emergency

Back