Car & Bike Your preferred engine oil for car?

sri_k

Adept
Which brand of engine oil you prefer going for?

If synthetic or semi-synth or mineral please mention the brand...Also mention oil change intervals..

Mods if similar thread exists please merge it..:)

Similar query, but kindly specify which oil is good for petrol and which one for diesel engine. Also, does engine capacity (cc) matter in deciding the engine oil?

Skoda service guys are using Shell Helix, while Honda people are using Servo :| Need to change to better oils.

Mobil1 5W-50, Fully synthetic.

Around Rs 650/ltr.

Recommended oil change - every 10-12k kms.

This is for Getz 1.3. The CC of engine determines how much oil needs to be put in. In my case, 3.3 ltrs.

I dunno what Honda ASC puts in my Honda (I trust them blindly after 1.40 lakh troublefree kms!!!)... :p

But for the Xing, I use Castrol GTX Magnatec and interval is 6000-7000 kms.

nishantgandhi said:

Around Rs 650/ltr.

This is for Getz 1.3. The CC of engine determines how much oil needs to be put in. In my case, 3.3 ltrs.
nehaladsul said:
I dunno what Honda ASC puts in my Honda (I trust them blindly after 1.40 lakh troublefree kms!!!)... :p

But for the Xing, I use Castrol GTX Magnatec and interval is 6000-7000 kms.
You need to, they helped your car cover 100k+ kms.. ...:)

jovi said:
castrol magnatec it is semi synthetic n its viscosity is SAE 10W-40

go for it , it will b around 900 for 3 lts
I will change to semi-synth after the car covers 5k,need some suggestions on good mineral oil...Need some advice from fellow members,do you flush your engine while changing oil?

Its better if u wait till 10k to change to Semi Synthetic, it has something to do with the mineral oil being used in the first 10k km will help the engine to perform better in the longer run than semi synthetic oils.

After 15k or 20k u can go for fully synthetic oil.

I used to be finicky about oils. Used castrol magnatec etc. in those days. But the cars (Maruti 800) still didnt last much!! Now I dont spend anything extra other than the standard oil used by service center. Cars still work fine. In fact todays cars have good engines that will crosss 2 Lac KM without much of an effort. I guess that I wouldnt by keeping the car for so long.

Castrol edge,fully synthetic for innova d...the oil doesnt thicken after 15k(though i am not endorsing using it for so long)

nishantgandhi said:

Around Rs 650/ltr.

hey thanks for the info. just wanted to know where did u buy the mobil 1 at that price as in mumbai i purchased it for rs 800 per litre kindly let me know

Always trust on the Service Center guys what they put in my 50000 km old Santro . They should be using the engine oil which complies all the standards, right ?

Back