YouTube Ad Blocker Crackdown Is Ramping Up

nRiTeCh

Skilled
It the same ad is injected at the same spot in the timeline for everyone, Sponsor Block can take care of it

If it's dynamically injected at random spots, I'm sure someone will write a script to "watch" the video 100s of times and filter out everything except the legit video content

Enshittification continues...

User has to pay them in one form or another, either by paying for premium, or by watching their ads, or by their time fighting with the scripts. The amount of content that youtube has is unmatched, it just can't be for free specially from a private company.

Odysee is the only alternative I find which can become something big if they get lucky.

I actually don't have issues with ads that are not intrusive but the amount of times I have been annoyed and downright found them disgusting is way too much. You literally can't surf web and have decent-ish experience without adblockers. That being said youtube thinks they can still force us to watch ads. This will be a cat and mouse game and it will be adblockers who will come out on top everytime. So GL Youtube.

Last edited:
I've said this before, but I'll repeat it: Google won't stop until they are shoving ads at us through every TV, watch, phone, etc. If you think buying Premium will spare you, you are mistaken in the long term: they can make more money from showing ads than the pitiful amount "you can afford" to pay to NOT see ads.

Look around you: newspaper have full front page ads, TV channels show ads about 33% of the time, theatres show ads before movie starts and during intermission. These are all things you paid for, AND seeing ads on.

To believe YT won't do the same is not only naive, but stupid. Which is what they want: if you're too stupid to click on a button to install ad blocker extension that auto updates itself, you're stupid enough to keep paying increasing premiums, and then one day watch ads inspite of paying. Further you will blindly buy whatever the ads seem to be promoting, even if they're scams.

Google is an ad company: it wants to own every digital display via Manifest v3 for the sole purpose of showing ads. The search engine is so bad now, out mostly shows only promoted results.

If you're too afraid to give up a service, their strategy worked and you are a blind sheep that will walk to the slaughter house without question.

User has to pay them in one form or another,...or by their time fighting with the scripts.
One click install is easier than setting up a recurring subscription. If only you had tried it once, you wouldn't have wasted your time typing all that. Also deja vu : we've had this convo before I feel.

It the same ad is injected at the same spot in the timeline for everyone, Sponsor Block can take care of it

If it's dynamically injected at random spots, I'm sure someone will write a script to "watch" the video 100s of times and filter out everything except the legit video content

Enshittification continues...
The Sponsorblock Github is more informative. However, detecting randomly placed ad chunks will not be easy. If fingerprints of the ad chunks don't change, then eventually they can be fingerprinted with crowdsourcing, but Google will probably not make it that easy.

Well, all is fine until revanced and ublock are working fine.
1718547421938.png

Not anymore, just yesterday while watching yt I got this message and it cannot be bypassed, on the next screen it asks or kinda detects which YT blockers you are using and you have to select and I guess it starts uninstalling them on the spot before resuming or so. I closed the tab.

I'm on ublock, and other YT adblockers.

So, they might be targeting random users or how dont know but soon this might even affect the google account we use for YT logins.

Actually, Google is planning to add/implement server-side ads on YouTube (Source LTT). These bas**rds want to turn every human life into a source of ad revenue. Let's see how far they go. Anyway, when push comes to shove, I can live without YouTube, I mostly watch two or three channels and they have their dedicated website anyway.

I am only using uBlock on firefox, and I have yet to see any ads. Also adding that I am not logged in, so that might be a factor as well. Maybe youtube is detecting these "other YT adblockers" you have installed. Or maybe whatever new method of detecting adblock that youtube has concocted is only being implemented on few selected users before being rolled out to everybody.

Afaik, talking about my surroundings, people generally don't use Ad-blockers. I am not sure why they are going all in with this. Has the number of Ad-block users soared so significantly in the last few years among non-techies?

Last edited:
I've recently rediscovered jdownloader : and it nowadays works surprisingly well for a huge majority of videos. Once I have the video downloaded, I'll be much more comfortable with ads even if they sneak in because I have learnt to skip sections of videos adeptly.

Though right now jdownloader is not embedding ads in downloaded videos.

Afaik, talking about my surroundings, people generally don't use Ad-blockers. I am not sure why they are going all in with this. Has the number of Ad-block users soared so significantly in the last few years among non-techies?
I was wondering the same, I once installed ublock for a family member and he asked me to remove it because he WANTED to see ads.

View attachment 199277

Not anymore, just yesterday while watching yt I got this message and it cannot be bypassed, on the next screen it asks or kinda detects which YT blockers you are using and you have to select and I guess it starts uninstalling them on the spot before resuming or so. I closed the tab.

So, they might be targeting random users or how dont know but soon this might even affect the google account we use for YT logins.
To bypass this temporarily you need to clear your browser cache and then click "update now" in ublock origin settings (click the cogwheel to enter its settings). This method used to work for that exact error popup so it should still work.

Back