Audio Z2300 with Xonar DX a good combo?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Yet another "please advice/suggest [strike]to[/strike] me" thread by a non-audiophile audio-tech-noob :)

I've been scanning the audio section threads and at the moment I believe this is a "good" combo (Xonar DX with Logitech Z2300). I mostly listen to MP3s and online radio at 24 kbps AAC streams - electronic/techno music mostly.

Currently listening with standard "AC97" (I think) onboard Intel mobo audio driving cheap (Rs 1200 or so when I got it many years ago) Creative 2.1 speakers and was satisfied in an "ignorance-is-bliss" kinda way... then when I played the same MP3s on my stock car stereo (Civic) they "came alive" so to speak (and I'm no audiophile though) so now I'd like to upgrade my desktop sound. :eek:hyeah:

Questions:

1. Xonar DX + Z2300 a good combo?
2. DX is mostly fixed, should I get different speakers?
3. Any 2.1 or even 5.1 (z5500) speakers to take advantage of DX digital outputs?
4. Can I carry over the DX (and speakers) to a new desktop if I upgrade a year later (no standards/format/slot changes expected) to say latest Intel or AMD mobo platform?
5. Prices (and where to buy) in Pune for the DX, Z2300 and Z5500 and any other models you might suggest?

As you can see, my budget is variable :p Looking for "very good" sound (mostly mp3/online music, but also am considering Z5500 for movies) but not "audiophile" level. Xonar DX mostly fixed due to its popularity and things like Linux support, speakers are mainly for what I'm asking your advice and please note I should be able to get it easily meaning drive down to a shop locally or at the max get it shipped via trusted/popular TE dealers or online stores since I'm wary of online shopping/shipping.

1. Xonar DX + Z2300 a good combo?
U havent considered MX 5021??

4.yup u can carry over the speakers and soundcard without any issues for atleast another 10 years.

5.i have noiced DX price has increased by almost 750 bucks in India....Keep looking On ebay global u can get really good deals.....I saw a D2X new go for 40$

Why don't you switch to FLACs and other such lossless audio formats instead of listening to .mp3? Improves the SQ with the right equipment. :)

As for your queries -

1. It is a good combo but do consider the MX5021 as well. Beats the Z2300 hands down, in the music department. Once the speakers have completely burned-in, it's going to sound even better. If it's going to be music and music only, do consider the Audioengine A2. Although these are a pair of active bookshelves, they suit you the best for music. Can be easily driven by the Xonar DX.

2. Do consider the MX5021 and the Audioengine A2.

3. For music, stereo sound is the best. Minus the fact that the sub adds to the base, the soundstage isn't going to improve. So there's no point of investing in a 5.1 speakers.

4. Yes.

5. No clue.

+1 to 5021 or A2.

@Vishalsir: If you want to audition the exact same setup (DX + A2) ping me anytime. Will give me a chance to host you. :)

Also as Gannu syggested, do consider switching to FLAC/Any lossless format you'll never regret it.

As for the Z3200 or Z5500 its a matter of taste. Its better you listen to the gear in question before jumping the gun.

thanks sarang, i will ping you should i settle on the A2 and want to get a live demo :D for some reason i have mental block against speakers which dont come with separate subwoofer unit though :p

@gannu, ok, so mx5021 moved above z2300 in preference, but like sankhadeep, is it even available? I saw some fx5051 model (5.1) listed on the site but no longer mx5021 (discontinued model)?

btw, i also am considering 5.1 for movies, in that case, is z5500 good/worth it? or any other 5.1 suggestions to go with the DX?

so im now thinking its first preference "DX with mx5021", next is 5.1 option "DX with z5500" unless anyone has other recommendations for a 5.1 model...

@gowtham, probably will skip other soundcard models for couple of reasons, DX seems to be cheap/popular everywhere including TE owners :D also im looking at linux support which i believe DX now works well with latest distros.

edit: yea, will also try moving to flac once and for all...

@Vishalrao: You must listen to these kiddies (A2) to belive what people are saying about them.

For 5.1 the Z5500 is an option if you want them strictly for movies and games. If its anywhere close to music run, run like hell. :)

I'd suggest you demo the HK 133 + JBL scs140 option at ~22K at the JBL shop on east street. That is one setup you'd not regret. It'll be fine for movie/games and definitely listenable for music.

@sarang: yikes, hk133+jbl140 looks like a premium option - i'll think about it (suggest it) for some relatives' (or even if i decide on a) real home theatre purchase including flat LCD/LED TV and what not but not now... i know it will be a good choice.

heh, ok, i'll try to setup a visit to your place one of these fine days to take a listen, even though i'll probably just go with a recommended 2.1 or 5.1 anyway (which doesn't seem overkill for a simpleton non-audiophile like moi) - stubborn i know.

@all: but im at a loss (back to square one) about those options again now. the 2.1 reco (mx5021) is probably discontinued and the 5.1 i thot about (z5500) you say "run run run" if you want music?

**** what are the alternative recommendations for a 2.1 and a 5.1 set for my PC desktop? (usage: mainly music, occasional movie rip, probably hardly ever any gaming)

thanks for the advice folks. my next questions once i get an idea of what to get will be sourcing/pricing of these parts :)

The MX5021 could have been discontinued. The MX6021 Expressionist Ultra might have replaced it. But you should still be able to find the 5021 on the local shops.

As for 5.1, you maybe able to find a Z5500 for about 17~18k. Performs average for music and just about good for movies and games. Accepts digital inputs over coaxial/optical which no other system in this price range could offer.

Check with STech on JM Road for the 5021. Also do consider the Klipsch GMX 2.1(or whatever goddamn model name it sports now :p)

I got Xonar DX about 6 months ago for 4.5k along with z5500 and they rock . It was a huge leap for me from onboard sound . I have listened from both MX -5021 and z5500 ( Z2300 is like 2.1 version of z5500 ) and believe me the z5500 are not as bad compared to the MX ones . Although the MX's were tad little clearer but you wont notice the difference if you are an audiophile . Z5500 got more power and even at 80% volume i can shatter my neighbours windows but i hardly go beyond 60-70% . Recently (in december ) my friend and i went to lamington road to get mx5021 for him but couldnt find it anywhere and hence had to settle for z2300 .

Audioengine A2 or A5 without a shadow of doubt. Assuming that you want to go for good clear music.

Whether or not you get the sound card is optional, and I say that by experience. The sound card will make a very significant difference but is not absolutely essential or better still, you can upgrade it later when you get more cash.

But don't go for anything less than an A2 setup.

If you can invest more than Whaferdale + Norge would be the way to go I guess.

DX + 5021. :)

Don't waste a paisa more- take it slow and easy and upgrade your senses and audio source steadily. :p

Switch to higher bit-rate stuff please else almost everything will sound bad on that.

You can already see how anks22402 has gone from some creative+onboard to DX+5021 to STX+A5. :)

I will give the A2 a skip as a friend had to rma his thrice in 9 months nd the warranty is only for a year iirc. :)

Plus i always find A2 a sort of compromise over the A5.

STX+A5 is where i aim to be at and hopefully stay there for as long as possible;

coz once bitten, the path only goes upwards and there's almost no limit. :gap:

p.s. Z2300/Z5500 and "music" in true sense do not occur in the same sentence imho. :ashamed:

ok, second person to say logitech-Zxxx and music dont really go together, but both of you seem to be audiophile kinda folks, compared to rohan_mhtr's post.

so i guess im settling on the DX (fixed) plus either mx5021 (first pref) or z5500 (next preference) depending on availability and/or if i really want 2.1 (music) or 5.1 (movies).

i dont mind getting the DX from and have it shipped by a TE deal(er) or any online source (ebay etc) - speakers i will try and look around pune itself.

thanks a lot folks for letting me pick yer brains :)

Read through your thread... I got the Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1 from vasim. Give it a listen... crystal clear high's and deep lows... You can drop down to my place for a demo. I seriously love them over MX5021 (no offense to the MX :) its just my personal preference) And a sound card is ok be it anything, actually it doesn't really matter to me; am on onboard and it still rocks :bleh:

djmykey said:
Read through your thread... I got the Klipsch Promedia GMX A-2.1 from vasim. Give it a listen... crystal clear high's and deep lows... You can drop down to my place for a demo. I seriously love them over MX5021 (no offense to the MX :) its just my personal preference) And a sound card is ok be it anything, actually it doesn't really matter to me; am on onboard and it still rocks :bleh:

ur onboard? and u expect to know what ur talking bout. u dont have a clue on what ur missing out on.

winXPHE said:
ur onboard? and u expect to know what ur talking bout. u dont have a clue on what ur missing out on.

Well dude... no offense... but my ears are dead on this subject so it don't care even if I buy a 2L ka Yamaha setup... all I can hear is low's and high's; SQ don't make any diff to me.. :bleh:

hey @dj i was going to ping you on this topic once holidays got over :) "vasim" meaning a dealer or you got it used from him? how much? i will definitely keep it as an option, really whichever is easier (and not too costly) to acquire :D

i'm trying to get a DX and mx5021 at the moment, lets see if it does not work out i will consider other models.

btw, do you know good local pune sources (preferably near my areas hadapsar or yerwada) to get new DX and mx5021?

Back