Audio Z5500 and Roccat Kave On Asus STX

hey guys i just ordered a STX and i wanna know whats the best way to use the card for with Z 5500 and my headphones

i mean i use the normal jacks with the headphones and speakers but is there a better way to use my card and speakers?

if its included in the package its good but if i have to buy a new cable to listen it to its best potential let me know please

thanks

The Xonar STX card is a stereo card. So if you would like to use the superior DAC/Amp of the Xonar STX(well thats what you've paid for ;) ), i'd say stick to Stereo sound via the 1/4 inch jack or the RCA connector.
This would especially make sense while listening to music(being recorded in stereo format) would not make sense using in 5.1 mode.
Where you would lose out while being connected on the stereo mode is while watching movies and gaming. This is where 5.1 would generally triumph.

Essence can output 5.1 with Dolby Digital Live encoding from S/PDIF out connector by coax or optical (with included adapter) cable. I've used the STX with both headphones and external A/V receiver and 5.1 setup - works great! ---- Not simultaneously.

bennysachdev said:
I'm using STX with both headphones and external A/V receiver and 5.1 setup - works great!

Does the card transmit the audio signal on the stereo and digital-out ports simultaneously?

^^ I don't think he meant simultaneously. It depends on the settings in the ASus xonar software(this assuming it's the same for xonar stx and dx).you can switch between 2,4 etc channels and Dolby 5.1.thre is a option to turn on the spdif output and switch it off.when u switch off it sends normal 2,4 channel sound.

Talking about whether it can happen,well I assume it does.in the ps3 you get a option for multiple channel output(via hdmi and RCA) but this as assumed will be in a stereo format.

Errr I guess the 5.1 output from the SPDIF out will be a digital unprocessed signal ? What is the use of the buying an STX in that case :S

FaH33m said:
Errr I guess the 5.1 output from the SPDIF out will be a digital unprocessed signal ? What is the use of the buying an STX in that case :S

Exactly. Pointless it is unless the requirement is headphone amp but WTH the STX card on the PCI-E slot is a worthy show off! :p

Random guy: "Hey I have the STX audio card with the Jap. Nichicon caps and replace-able opamps."

Friend: "Oh wow that must be awesome!" o_O

/No offense to OP.

Gannu said:
Does the card transmit the audio signal on the stereo and digital-out ports simultaneously?

I din't try it simultaneously, simply cuz its absurd to use headphones and a 5.1 speaker setup at once. But I'm guessing you won't be able to do it either as you have to switch your output from Xonar's Control panel. I'll confirm this once to go home after office and check it out.

And Faheem is right, using Coax/toslink would output the audio in a digital format(as opposed to analog) which completely bypasses the brilliant DAC of the Xonar STX card. This simply means that the SQ would be of the Z5500's onboard DAC which isn't even close to the DAC of the STX.
Which means your computer is basically just storing the music/movies, the xonar just sends the audio data to the Z5500(which kinda means u bought the card for nothing), and then your using the Z5500 (not so good) SQ.
But considering your requirement, I'd say, this is the best bet right now :) (Unless you get an A/V receiver).

Hook up your headphone to the Gold plated 1/4" headphone out connector and buy a toslink cable from a local a/v store and your good. :)

I din't try it simultaneously, simply cuz its absurd to use headphones and a 5.1 speaker setup at once. But I'm guessing you won't be able to do it either as you have to switch your output from Xonar's Control panel. I'll confirm this once to go home after office and check it out.

My point is, if I have the STX connected to a stereo amp which is powering a pair of bookshelves and then I also have it connected to the AVR powering a 5.1 system, if either of the systems are off at a time, will I get the output through the other? So if I decide to watch a movie, I can simply switch off the power amp and turn on the AVR and vice-versa for music. I don't think this can be done without switching the output from the control panel since the signal needs to bypass the onboard DAC.

^^ np guys but i wont be using both together i just wanna know the best way to use my speakers and the STX in the best fashion alone

wether it be digital or audio i dont care just wanna know how can i make the system use to its full potential

^You know what you can connect the Z5500 to your motherboard's optical/coaxial out and get the same SQ if if the Z5500 was connected to the STX. Save the moolah and spend it on something else.

Its an Audiophile card, meaning the card is meant to deliver the best possible sound in music.

First of all when we're talking music, there is no such thing as 5.1 surround sound. So just forget about that completely.
Secondly, all music is recorded in stereo format, so you can never get true positional 5.1 surround sound outta music, whenever you hear 5.1 sound in music, its not true 5.1 but just stereo sound being muxed to 5.1.

The Xonar STX is a stereo card and it will do that pretty darn good. So stick to what I suggest for now since you've already bought a new card, save the money for a great headphone ranging from 10k-15k and ditch the Roccat Kave. Get a coax/toslink cable and hook it up with the Z5500 and enjoy 5.1 sound.
If you don't wanna use headphones, get a Denon/Marantz/Cambridge Audio AVR and hook it up to your speakers(something faaarrrr better than your logitech's).

And thats it. Kudos.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

O yea I forgot to mention, if your getting the AVR, you might as well sell off the Xonar STX cuz its pointless and connect the AVR through a spdif cable from your machine's onboard sound card as Gannu suggested.

thanks benny but i aint an audio crazy but enjoy music in finesse like music etc

i will buy this cable Digital Coaxial Audio Cable SPDIF Dolby Digital 1.5M | eBay its around 300 and i think it should do the job good?

also dude in the asus software should i set my speaker to 5.1 or 2.1 or something other after connecting this cable ( coax )

i wont be buying any AVR coz i aint an audio guy and not much into music just casual enjoyment of music

^ You still don't get it .You are wasting whatever money you spent on the STX if you got it to hook it to 5.1 speakers . It's meant for a stereo analog setup . It will in no way enhance a 5.1 setup .

^^ so what should i do ? what should i buy later?

also ill tell u my requirement from my sound card

i want awesome gaming experience coz iam a gamer at heart and always would want awesome sound details in the games like stepping,bombs,explosions,firing etc ( in general )

and to compliment this i want a card which can give me good overall music like romance etc iam not a hard music player who likes the dhum dhum kind of music

any help now?

If you want the gaming experience get the triton ax pro or a astro a40 and pair it up with the optical connection in xbox and ps3 and also the optical of your ASus xonar.this are top of the line"true 5.1" dolbydigital headsets specifically made for gaming.no disrespect to the roccat Kave but it's a budget gaming headset.

I have used astro a40 with the astro mix amp and Thats a great gaming combo,currently I am using the Asus xonar dx & triton ax pro combo.

Back