Audio Z5500 Subwoofer dead?

I'm using Logitech z5500 speakers from past 3 years. Now suddenly i don't hear any BASS from the unit..i used the test option on the speakers remote and found that all the speakers are responding while there is no noise/sound from the subwoofer.

I even checked it from the speaker test in windows and again found that there is no sound playing from the Subwoofer...

I replaced the fuse and still the problem is not solved.

Now does this mean that the Subwoofer has gone kaput? :( And since the warranty period is also over..whom should i contact?

checked cables once again.. start from scratch.. check each and every points make sure u r have tested it 1000 times then you may have to take to nearest repair shop..We have a lot in bangalore...SP road have a lot of people to look into

ebro

open your sub woofer box and check the sub woofer with a small 3 v battery if there is any sound from the speaker if there is no sound then ur woofer is goner you might need to change your sub woofer membrane and you better talk to logitech if they can do it as any one else will just degrade the sound quality

It could also be that your sub's speaker coil has shorted. There's a process called winding, which may cost you ~1K. Approach a car speaker shop in-case that is the issue.

PhotostarSR said:
^^How do i check that the speaker coil is shorted or not??
manpreetsingh46 said:
open your sub woofer box and check the sub woofer with a small 3 v battery if there is any sound from the speaker if there is no sound then ur woofer is goner you might need to change your sub woofer membrane and you better talk to logitech if they can do it as any one else will just degrade the sound quality

Logitech will not repair the subwoofer, they even refuse to look at out-of-warranty Z series speaker. If within warranty, they simply replace entire set.

Open the subwoofer from the front side and check if the driver is connected to the cables, though it is very unlikely that the cables might have become loose. Or take the driver out and test it seperately at home or at a shop.

Rewinding will never restore the same SQ as the original one, and I am not sure the car speaker shops are even capable or know how to do rewinding or reconing.

UPDATE: I opened up the subwoofer and i what i saw was a total DISASTER! Some rats invaded it and ....i don't think i need to say anything else

Almost half of the membrane which can be seen from outside is bitten and couple of wires were also cut by those god damn rats...

I spoke to a svc guy listed on logitech website and he told he will repair it on a chargeable basis...

PhotostarSR said:
UPDATE: I opened up the subwoofer and i what i saw was a total DISASTER! Some rats invaded it and ....i don't think i need to say anything else

Almost half of the membrane which can be seen from outside is bitten and couple of wires were also cut by those god damn rats...

I spoke to a svc guy listed on logitech website and he told he will repair it on a chargeable basis...
How did the rats survive the thumping bass ? :p

What has he offered to repair ? The cone or the cables ?

yeah.. better give shelter for your rats elsewhere .. My guess the RATS are BASS head too.. I dont keep my Sub on ground or on Subroof... Please it where you can see it not hide it or house it for RATS...

Please Dont tell me you live next to Govt Ration Shop

eBro

Shakensoul said:
How did the rats survive the thumping bass ? :p

?
LOL it appears they are bass deaf. They have a frequency range of 100 to 60,000 Hz says What do rats hear?

And it so happened that in the previous hostel I stayed, a rat went into the sub of my MX5021 through the port while we were cleaning the room and it was inside the sub for sometime. We played all sorts of non-sense at high volumes and bass and it refused to come outside until we managed to knock the rodent out by shaking the sub violently. :ashamed:

Well, i have called up the logitech again and now they are saying that they deal only with products under warranty and they just replace them :(

Holy sh!t guys how can a company like logitech cannot repair its own products?? They themselves asked me to get it repaired locally in sp road..!

Now taking these huge speakers to sp road is going to be serious PITA :(

Any of you guys know any other shop in blore apart from in SP Road...somewhere in Indiranagar?

Can you post a pic of the inside of your subwoofer box to get an idea of the extent of damage?

Its no use reconing the same driver unless done by a professional individual or shop. Your best option would be join the wiring yourself if the damage is not much and look for a replacement 10 inch 8ohm driver for the subwoofer which will be almost impossible to find.

My logitech z680 subwoofer driver is also crackling and its been almost 2 years since I've been looking for a replacement without success.

^If you are sure that the other components and the circuitry is intact, you can disassemble the sub and take that alone to the repair center instead of dragging the entire box.

Scary shit indeed! Did you not notice the cone being eaten away through the grill of the sub? The wires and the circuitry seem intact to me. Get the sub rewired and reconed - there may be guys who repair these. Do enquire and hit the yellow pages! Best of luck!

If you observe those pics closely...you can see ~50% of one capacitor has been chewed off by those great great rats :/

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys an important update:

I opened up the whole unit including the sub again. Connected the sub to 3v dc and i could hear some sounds from it and the membrane was also vibrating so i guess there is not much of an issue with the sub.

Then i soldered all the disconnected wires and tested the sub and PHAIL.... :( Theres no sound at all.

If you observe one of the pic...you can see that the rat has chewed off one capacitor almost completely and another capacitor is also almost gone. So can these 2 capacitors make a difference between PASS and FAIL?

After seeing the nearby capacitors and with little logical thinking, i found that both these capacitors are 22uF, 50v each. So can i buy the capacitors with these ratings and replace them? Will i get these capacitors easily? Do you guys think that it will work after replacing the two capacitors?

Back