Audio Z5500 Subwoofer dead?

The driver looks like a goner, I doubt you'll be able to repair it unless you're lucky enough to find a competent professional who can recone the driver.

Yes the capacitors will definitely matter and I would advise not to the run the speakers with these blown capacitors, you risk the chance of frying the whole amp.

Are you sure the rating of the capacitor is 22uF and not 2200uF ? Your best bet of finding genuine and matching capacitors would be rsonline.

Welcome to RS Online

Though I would wait for the experts to tell you which is the exact capacitor you'll need from their online catalog. :p

Bottom line is, it does not look very good. Be on the lookout for a complete new replacement driver and find a competent electrician to do the soldering or be ready for an exciting DIY. :bleh:

U should check capacitors ratings carefully before replacing them or it will fry other components (whatever is left), yes u can try it on ur own or take it to some professional as u have got nothing to loose now.

Damn those rats, have u taken care of them?

MAJOR UPDATE:

I had given it to a big enough service center..they took 15 days and Rs.1600 to repair and got back the product today. They replaced an IC and reconed the driver.

But all i can say is...i'm dissapointed :( Though the sub works...its nowhere near what it used to sound before :( That guy said..they need to replace 2 more ICs to get the original sound and it cost 2k more....

Now i'm totally pissed off and don't want to spend anything more on this. Looks like i have to live with no (almost)BASS music and movies :/

Looks like your home can do with some cleanliness rather. No offense meant but you can get rid of those rodents, if they have found refuge inside something like a sub enclosure! :)

I think Sangram Sir can answer that. :)

Anyways, if those guys have promised you that the replacement chips can bring back the sound, perhaps you should take the plunge IMO. Did you repair the driver? It had a damaged diaphragm IIRC.

Looking at the pics it seems that rat have distroied the sub drive, few caps and some wires, then how can a IC go dead. Power Amp IC is TDA7294 which have a short circuit protection.. so no chance of any dead chips.

No speaker company recones their speakers instead they ask to replace them since their orignal perfomance is lost (this can be due to type of paper used in the repair cone, coil impedance and power handling, etc).
So your drive is reconed locally and 100% speaker repair guy have replaced the orignal 8ohms voice coil with some local 4 ohms coil..

The two TDA7294 IC's in bridge mode drives the sub and these IC in bridge mode need load impedance of 8ohms so that both IC can have shared 4ohms load. But now you are giving 4ohms total ie 2ohms per Chip will reduce the performance in bridge mode.
I think there is no IC based problem... (Check your self what is the impedance of the sub drive. Also check any resoldering marks on any amp IC's legs, there should be some marks if guy have replaced one IC)

Post some new pics... may be can help.

^^Thanks a lot for that reply man :)

Actually thats what even i was thinking. How can a IC get spoilt when rat ate only the driver along with with capacitors and couple of wires. I'm not sure about the bridge mode and impedence...

but will post some pics of the circuit tonight...

Back