CPU/Mobo Z68 board selection

^ hmm it is the great board i have see many review most of them improve at all but the problem u will face A.S.S problem from rashi due to worst service

so i suggest u should look for Gigabyte z68 depend on various model on your budget, and u can option for i5 2500 only non overclocking

and for z68 board your need SSD for faster boot with better transfer speed

^^ This is for 9.5k in Prime, whereas the cheapest Gigabyte Z68 board is for 12k. For motherboard ASS, Prime is very helpful, and in the past 2 years have not been diss-appointed with them including a low end Asus board.

I dont have any intention of buying an SSD at present, but I was not satisfied with the specs of H67 boards..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hmm spoke to almighty bikenstein, and P8H67-M LE fits my bill :)

I am choosing the P8Z68-V-LE.

The board you chose doesn't have internal headers for front USB 3.0 panel. So if you want to use USB 3.0 on front of case, you will have to add a separate PCI card to your mobo.

Aces170 said:
Hmm spoke to almighty bikenstein, and P8H67-M LE fits my bill :)

So you do not intend to use unlocked processors correct?

EDIT: Just noticed the i5 2400 part. The board Rishi suggested seems fine.

I had got hold of a Asus P8H67 M-Pro from Prime ABGB last week for Rs. 7900.

Gannu said:
^Awesome! Started from the i5 2400 and ended up in a 2500K! :p

Congrats man.

I started off to buy i5 2400, and a H67 board. But the prices of i5 2400 have shot up by 1k (10.3k) while i5 2500k was the same (11.3k). So thought even the 200mhz at 1k extra seemed worth it, in addition I was never satisfied by the H67 features. Rishi and Shatul, convinced me to buy the p8p67 pro, and I love the board. Although had a hell of a time installing SATA hdds, on those SATA ports (upright ones).

Now just need to save up for SSD :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Aah and not to mention, I had gone to Shatul's place (Toolius) to pre-assemble the system. He had a 120gb OCZ Vertex (I think 2) lying around and showed me the Windows 7 installation through USB, 4.5 mins flat from start to finish!!

I was convinced, that SSD alone can make a huge visible performance difference in the system!!

Aces170 said:
Got the i5-2500K and P8P67 pro (rev 3.1) finally on the weekend. The machine flies after coming from an AMD x2 4000+ :)

Whoaaaa.....Sahil looks great. But I am Curious to Know Why you settled for "P8P67". I need some HELP out here.

1] What RAM have you installed [would help if you give us the precise code/latency]?

- In the i5 series of proc's Intel has DDR3-1066/1333 Only. Whereas your mobo has upto 1600 & 2200(O.C)!!! Now Intel cautions "running equipment outside of their suggested guidelines violates their warranty". Have some guys out here on TE tried 1600 (PC3-12800) at 9-9-9-24. Across different forums I have seen that in the long term there are "stability issues".

2] Are you using a separate GPU? Which one?

3] If you are using just the Integrated GPU - then why did you rule out the Asus Z68 boards with this feature - "LucidLogix® Virtu (Universal Switchable Graphics) - Auto Switching between Integrated Graphics and NVIDIA/AMD Cards". Is there any Z68 Asus mobo with internal usb 3.0 headers?

Apologies, if these are too many questions ..... but I am flummoxed mate.

Your responses would really help me in a great way as I am in a dilemma [need a new RIG before Diwali and was veering towards Intel i5] - I had narrowed down on the AMD A8-3850; ASUS F1A75-V Pro; 8GB RAM 1600 or 1866 [I need USB 3.0; Direct X 11; HDMI 1.4a - if possible].

Thanks mate

Terence, my thoughts:

1. I chose the p8p67 pro, as I was not satisfied by the general build quality of H67 boards, plus they were falling short of connectivity options at the lower end. In addition as I got an "unlocked processor" it made sense that I either get P67 chipset or Z68 chipset.

2. Intel says you cant overclock your proccy, but they unlock the multiplier :). I have a Corsair Vengeance 4gb DDR 3 1600mhz kit, it was not my first choice, but Prime had a deal going on where I got it for 2.8k :) I am running the RAM at 1600mhz since past 48 hrs without any stability issues. And unlike previous generation, Sandy hardly benefits from tighter timings

3. Yes I am using my older GPU (HD 4850), and trust me all the games have shown a tremendous improvement from my older CPU.

4. I am never gonna use the integrated GPU, and when I get an SSD it is gonna be 120gb hence SSD caching is not gonna be much of a help. Intel does not natively support USB 3.0 but almost all mobo manufacturers provide 3rd party USB 3.0 solutions.

5. AMD Llano prices are high, look at i3 2100 solutions (you can squeeze in a HD 4670 gfx card) at the same price point.

Aces170 said:
Terence, my thoughts:

AMD Llano prices are high, look at i3 2100 solutions (you can squeeze in a HD 4670 gfx card) at the same price point.

Thanks Sahil..... I guess I will have to look closely at all the iterations of Asus mobo's to see what fits best in my budget.

Incidently the AMD Llano prices that I have from prime are

AMD A8-3850 - Rs 7250 and mobo ASUS F1A75-V Pro - Rs 8765 = Total Rs16045

I have not looked at i3 at all :( ..... will consider it

And If I am not wrong the i5-2500K [Rs 12K] + Asus P8Z68-V LE [Rs 9900] = Total 21900/- ...... so that's a good Rs5855/- EXTRA !!!

So does the Llano make sense at all [suppose I take the saving of Rs5855 & add Rs 3145 and get the Sapphire HD 6850 for Rs9K] - WOULD THIS COMBO BEAT THE i5 & Z68 in performance

All rates are sourced from prime

[EDIT added]

I am running the RAM at 1600mhz since past 48 hrs without any stability issues
- Good, but are you sure that there would be no problems whatsoever after 6 months or so. I am looking to hold onto my new system for 4-5 years at least & not interested in OC. So RAM at 1600 or 1866 worries me on the i5

The i3 will be a better proccy, but Llano has better IGP. However if you are planning a discrete gpu, then I would say go with Sandy Bridge eyes close.

So does the Llano make sense at all [suppose I take the saving of Rs5855 & add Rs 3145 and get the Sapphire HD 6850 for Rs9K] - WOULD THIS COMBO BEAT THE i5 & Z68 in performance

Since you are a regular at JJMPF, let me put it this way? Which is better a Canon 550D or a 5D mark 2? :) You cannot compare both of them, and I feel the SB gives more bang per buck at present. Tech report has done a very good job at putting all this information on a matrix, figure out whats your need:

AMD's FX-8150 'Bulldozer' processor - The Tech Report - Page 19

Nope and running RAM at 1600mhz will not lead to stability issues.

Sigh....mate it seems like a "catch-22" situation for me.

Incidently, I am a Nikkonite & Canon is like AMD in the geek world [so Nikon = Intel] and I should stick to i5.....hehehee. Now why is it that I want to Laugh & Cry out loud at the same time........ 'coz I see lotsa $$$ going down the bottomless pit...... What about the "Asus P8Z68-V PRO @13.5K........... and NO Direct-X 11" again on my RADAR and more moolah going down the drain.

Will sit back & catch my breadth Sahil for the next 2-3 days & try to digest all this. Incidently, I am away tomorrow for the "Broadcast India Exhibition" @ NSE-Goregaon .... you & your gang should join in

Broadcast India 2011

I am not into modding; gaming or OC. Was looking at a good & VFM system with sufficient "bang-for-the-buck" features too. I would have preferred an good onboard IGP for Full HD & Blu-ray content, also 3D stereoscopic playback [HDMI 1.4a]; Direct-X 11. Ocassional [rare] rendering in Maya or for TESTING ONLY professional High-End Video & Compositing softwares. I would add a discrete GPU maybe, if the need arises after 3-4 months.

So thanks.

Lastly what latency in your 1600 RAM.

Ciao

I'm in the process of narrowing down my Z68 board selection and these were my options and prices (in Bangalore). I'm going with an Intel 2500k (not OCing right now, but may be later). Those in Blue Bold letters highlight my "narrowed down" choices. I am primarily looking for 4 USB 3.0 ports to be future ready. Note that prices may have changed since I did the research on them (10 days back):

ASUS P8Z68-M PRO - 9,450 INR

ASUS P8Z68-V LE - 10,500 INR

ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z - 12,500 INR

ASUS P8Z68-V - 12,600 INR

Intel DZ68DB - 7,200 INR

Intel Dz68BC = X

MSI Z68A-GD55G3 (B3) - 8,700 INR -> Am confused here. Is this really this cheap? Why?

MSI Z68A-GD65G3 (B3) - 10,600 INR -> Can I go for this one? It's within my budget and has all the bells and whistles.

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 - 9,700 INR

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 - 10,750 INR

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 - 13,150 INR

Any other suggestions?

Hmm just a small update for peeps using Adobe LR and Photoshop. I have seen a huge jump in performance in these apps, especially Lightroom, which use to struggle on my older dual core. Exporting Camera Raw files to Jpeg after all adjustments is a breeze, ( I can process 70-80 5MP Jpegs from 10MP CR2 files in a minute, where it took more then 10 mins on my X2 4000+ earlier!!). Cant wait to upgrade to an SSD now.

I was very hesitant earlier splurging on a Sandy Bridge platform, especially when I am not gaming that much. But I am glad I made the decision.

What is the reason that you've moved from Z68-M Pro to your current mobo? I've recently bought the M Pro, although I still haven't opened the box, so I can still exchange it if needed. Hence would like to know. My usage is same as yours i.e. Photo editing. In the M-Pro I'll be missing the front USB but anyway I don't have any USB 3.0 devices as of now.

Back