CPU/Mobo Z68 or P67

Devan232

Disciple
I'm going to sell my RMA'ed P67A-GD65 motherboard. Should I go with the ASUS P8P67 PRO or ASUS P8Z68-V PRO? Which is better in terms of stability and performance? The pc will be primarily used for gaming and video editing. Both the motherboards have the same amount of SATA ports and USB 3.0 ports. Z68 supports onboard graphics but does it cause any performance issues while using a graphics card? Also are P67 motherboards better for overclocking than Z68?

Z68 chipset has got recent version of Lucid Virtu. match whole applications with GPUs for the best performance. Early versions of Virtu required the PC monitor to be plugged into the motherboard's video socket, Now the newer version allows users to plug directly into their GPU's output while still keeping Quick Sync enabled. As a result now you can seamlessly play games on a powerful video card and also code video files on the integrated Intel HD graphics core.

simply in terms of OCing the p8p67-pro will offer you better performance. Go with it if you dont require the quick sync feature of the igp. Also the z68 will offer slightly less graphics performance due to the lucid virtu. it is about 4-5% less than the p67 and in all practical purposes, negligible.

If I were you I would take the p67-pro because it overclocks slightly better and also costs around 1.5k less than the z68-pro

SSD caching is useful only for apps/stuff that you using, it caches them in the SSD. Performance wise yes, its there but there is a price tag attached to the ssd also.

Given a choice, go with the Z68 if you need QS. Which is said to be useful in media encoding/decoding. Due to virtu, there will be a small hit in performance but with QS, it makes sense if you do video encoding.

op if you plan on getting a ssd, then you are better off buying a fast small capacity ssd, and a large HDD. This is still the recommended config and will beat the socks off any ssd caching tech.

op if you plan on using QS deliberately,then obviously go for the z68.otherwise for the oc benefits and the slightly more graphics performance go for the p67.ssd caching won't give you magical results so don't bet your horses on that,devvfata1ity is right in this part.

vivek.krishnan said:
SSD caching is useful only for apps/stuff that you using, it caches them in the SSD. Performance wise yes, its there but there is a price tag attached to the ssd also.

Given a choice, go with the Z68 if you need QS. Which is said to be useful in media encoding/decoding. Due to virtu, there will be a small hit in performance but with QS, it makes sense if you do video encoding.

Help...pray tell me what is "QS" ..... :(

oOPS... Is it QuickSync = Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors have a feature called QuickSync, which is part of their integrated graphics. If you encode or transcode video, it can speed that up by a considerable amount. However, the P67 chipset does not support Intel's HD video, and so does not support QuickSync. You do need a program that supports QuickSync, but CyberMedia Espresso and DVDFab both do

terence_fdes said:
Help...pray tell me what is "QS" ..... :(

The integrated graphics with Quick Sync accelerate encoding/decoding/transcoding. If you do lots of video editing and converting videos from one format to another, Quick Sync can make that much quicker for you.

And the Z68 chipset with Virtu software allows you to switch to the discrete card for gaming while still using the integrated Quick Sync when you need to. No other chipset can do that

Devan232 said:
The integrated graphics with Quick Sync accelerate encoding/decoding/transcoding. If you do lots of video editing and converting videos from one format to another, Quick Sync can make that much quicker for you.

And the Z68 chipset with Virtu software allows you to switch to the discrete card for gaming while still using the integrated Quick Sync when you need to. No other chipset can do that

Thanks Devan

Back