Zero balance digital account with a number not linked to Aadhar

dpandey

Adept
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a zero balance account for upi on my secondary number (don't care about any other feature/interest rates etc). The phone is mostly switched off (with call forwarding), and is used only when I travel.

I read somewhere that zero balance accounts only work with the aadhar linked number. Is it true?

Would love to hear from anyone who is using such an account. I was considering kotak 811.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a zero balance account for upi on my secondary number (don't care about any other feature/interest rates etc). The phone is mostly switched off (with call forwarding), and is used only when I travel.

I read somewhere that zero balance accounts only work with the aadhar linked number. Is it true?

Would love to hear from anyone who is using such an account. I was considering kotak 811.

Thanks
Well, I don't know if that's possible but I think you won't be able to open an 811 account.
RBI has stopped kotak from onboarding customer's online

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
For online accounts, KYC is done through Aadhar number and for it, you should have the same mobile which is registered with Aadhar.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
have non-aadhaar zero balance SB but I have FD with them.

Well, I don't know if that's possible but I think you won't be able to open an 811 account.
RBI has stopped kotak from onboarding customer's online
I had heard about that. But they still seem to be offering similar products (they have added the word 'saving' in the name). No more 'limited KYC' or 'lite'.

What they offered earlier:

What they offer now:

Open account with primary number. Once opened and all set, change the mobile number to your secondary number after a week?
That is the plan. I was worried just in case they don't let me change my mobile number.

have non-aadhaar zero balance SB but I have FD with them.
Did they ask you to open the FD to make it zero balance. Most banks will allow zero balance if you open an FD (e.g. in HDFC, you have to open a 100k FD if the minimum balance req is 10k).

Last edited:
I had heard about that. But they still seem to be offering similar products (they have added the word 'saving' in the name). No more 'limited KYC' or 'lite'.

What they offered earlier:

What they offer now:

That is the plan. I was worried just in case they don't let me change my mobile number.

Did they ask you to open the FD to make it zero balance. Most banks will allow zero balance if you open an FD (e.g. in HDFC, you have to open a 100k FD if the minimum balance req is 10k).
I asked to open FD, they offered zero balance SB a/c along with FD.
So, in a way yes.

Back