Camera zoom lens suggestion- urgent help

Hi friends,
I am a super noob on photography and camera, i have a pns canon which i rarely use, recently i developed some interest in photography, i am getting a deal of canon 1100D for 17k which is 2 months old, now i.came to know that the kit lens which comes with it is 55 mm, which is roughly 3x optical zoom in noobs language, correct me if i am wrong, i have seen super zoom pns cams of nikon n cannon with upto 30x zoom optical, My question is- which lens i should buy for the canon 1100D which will be equivalent to 30x optical zoom of normal pns cams.
Might be this is a dumb question i asked, but i need help,
Thanks in advance.

You will need a canon 100-400L or a sigma 150-500mm(exceeds the 30x reach) to have a tele reach close to that of 30x PnS camera.
But currently there is no zoom lens for DSLR which have both the wide and tele reaches of a ultra zoom camera.

Thanks for clearing my doubt, that means if i need to do wildlife photography or anything where zoom is required than its better to get a high zoom pns of 30x or more from canon or fuji which are lot cheaper comparble to dslr and its expensive zoom lens which needs to be bought separately, rite?

Thanks for clearing my doubt, that means if i need to do wildlife photography or anything where zoom is required than its better to get a high zoom pns of 30x or more from canon or fuji which are lot cheaper comparble to dslr and its expensive zoom lens which needs to be bought separately, rite?

The better bridge cameras fare well in comparison to a combo of entry level dslr + 70-300mm lens, especially so in the hands of a casual user. Make sure you get one with an atriculated lcd.
The Fuji HS50exr would be a good choice because of its manual zoom which should help in framing. I have a Panasonic FZ200 which does a good job as well due to its large aperture.

The newly announced Panasonic FZ70 has a zoom range of 20-1200mm though it lacks an articulated lcd.

thanks all for the replies.. but as i am on a tight budget now, i am looking for PnS within 20-24k range, how is the Nikon Coolpix L820 and Fujifilm FinePix HS28EXR?

look for a tamron 18-270 PZD lens. Will cost about 30k and is a decent all-in-one, if thats what you are looking for. Plonk on a tele convertor and you are boosted to a higher value. Remember to keep an eye on the 'f'.

guys i went to croma store today.. they offered me a nikon 3000D DSLR for 15k only with kit lens and warranty.. when i asked about the less price, they told its a discontinued model and it was a single piece which was used as a show piece.. but i'll get full warranty.. so do you think its a good deal ?

Dont go for it , you can get d3100 used one under guaranty for that amount or new canon 1100d for 15 -17 k . D3000 has an old gen sensor which wont give good low light performance

Good work on getting a decent DSLR.

Nikon 70-300 is a brilliant lens but costs 30K.
55-300 is very good but its performance from 250-300 is very average. Costs 20K
55-200 is okish lens. very VFM but slow autofocus. Costs 12K.

Good purchase, Go for the 55 200 VR its a good starting lens, if you scout around you will get one under warranty for 7 to 8 K . once you get a hang of you DSLR buy a cheep manual focus prime lens ( any brand but with an aperture ring ) you will get one for 2 to 3 K buy a extension tube for 500 rupees you are equipped for awesome macro shoots.

7 or 8K.

Links?
Good purchase, Go for the 55 200 VR its a good starting lens, if you scout around you will get one under warranty for 7 to 8 K . once you get a hang of you DSLR buy a cheep manual focus prime lens ( any brand but with an aperture ring ) you will get one for 2 to 3 K buy a extension tube for 500 rupees you are equipped for awesome macro shoots.

Back