Graphic Cards Zotac GTX 460 AMP vs Sapphire HD 5850

Hi Guyz,

This is my 2nd thread here in techenclave....I got in into the forum and was in a hurry and posted in the wrong section..... [ APOLOGIES TO THE MOD/ADMIN ] :ashamed::ashamed:..Then I found out this section so thought of posting here...

Previous Thread

Now, After many research I have came down to 2 cards ...That is within my budget of 16k

What is your budget? 16k
Current rig Specs :
CPU : i7 860
Motherboard : MSI P55 GD65
RAM : 4GB DDR3 CORSAIR
Monitor : LG 32" FULL HD TV
Which PSU/SMPS will you be using? Corsair 650TX
Primary use? (Casual gaming, Hardcore gaming, Just for display, Movies/HTPC) : Hardcore Gaming + HTPC
What resolution do you game on? 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
Interested in Crossfire/SLI? NO
Open to both Nvidia/ATI? YES

The 2 cards are ::

1> ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB AMP
2> SAPPHIRE HD 5850 (stock) 1GB

So, Guyz please help me choose one...and state some reasons to think about...

Thanks
With regards
Dragon Hunter

Has to be the 460 for me. Overall better card and with those clocks it will be as good as a 5850. Plus the option to run another in the future is great.

Yeah, the 5850 is faster than the 460 and both can be overclocked significantly so my vote goes to the 5850 too.

If sli\crossfire is priority then 460 is best other wise 5850 wins the battle, i like the way 460 scales while overclocking, but i doubt it will cross 5850 if both are overclocked to the max!!!

Sapphire 5850 sells for 16k and its a older card now (Sep 2009) whereas i hope the 460 Zotac Amp version to be some 1.5-2k less in cost and almost in par/better compared with 5850 and really better in DX11 games.

Also Phyx,CUDA etc.. i feel 460 is a better deal if you are going to get it now or wait for another 2-3 months for the 6xxx series from AMD which should surely bring a big price drop in the existing 58xx series and also make nVidia to reduce the existing prices and also release new cards...

I would say that if you cqan increase your budget by 3k odd, then go for the GTX 470.
The card overclocks well and does not heat that much.
Mine is oc'd to 750MHz for 24/7 usage. Easliy does 800MHz (use it for benching and when playing Mafia II).

thegame said:
Sapphire 5850 sells for 16k and its a older card now (Sep 2009) whereas i hope the 460 Zotac Amp version to be some 1.5-2k less in cost and almost in par/better compared with 5850 and really better in DX11 games.
Also Phyx,CUDA etc.. i feel 460 is a better deal if you are going to get it now or wait for another 2-3 months for the 6xxx series from AMD which should surely bring a big price drop in the existing 58xx series and also make nVidia to reduce the existing prices and also release new cards...
@thegame : I cant wait for 2-3 months. I am getting 5.5k for my GTS 250 so in a hurry to sell it to that guy..My Mobo doesnt have onboard vga so I will need another gfx card to run my tv/machine..Thats why I will be buying a gfx card by this week or the next...

hellgate said:
I would say that if you cqan increase your budget by 3k odd, then go for the GTX 470.
The card overclocks well and does not heat that much.
Mine is oc'd to 750MHz for 24/7 usage. Easliy does 800MHz (use it for benching and when playing Mafia II).

@hellgate: I am not a very good fan of the GF100 chipset...Anyways , I cant increase my budget by 3k...otherwise I would have bought the HD 5850 Toxic 2GB which is faar better...

Guyz Plz compare the stock 5850 with the GTX 460 amp...and not the stock one.....As far as I can see in the reviews the AMP edition beats 5850 in many games...

^ You are not going to overclock the cards ?

If so the the GTX460 Sonic Platinum edition fom Palit should be the best for you but if you d plan to OC, take the 5850.

sid1712 said:
^ You are not going to overclock the cards ?

If so the the GTX460 Sonic Platinum edition fom Palit should be the best for you but if you d plan to OC, take the 5850.
I am not planning to overclock that much because I am a n00b in OC....I wanna take out the card from the box and have a go at it...

I would have taken the HD 5850 stock if I could OC welll since its a dream overclocker...

As far as the palit GTX 460 sonic platinum is concerned...It looks make me question...and the GTX 460 amp is the fastest GTX 460 as far as I can see in the whole internet...

And it can also be OC about 5% more...

Both are good and it all depends upon the price but yes the AMP would be better due to the longer warranty.

How much are you getting it for ?

Having used both the 5850 and the gtx 460 i will say the 5850 if you want a single card solution and the 460 if you are going for multiple cards.

People who are going on about the overclocking potential of the gtx 460 must understand that the 5850 is no way less .... just for eg: i got my 5850 stock sapphire to clock @ 951/1253 compared to stock 725/1000 that is a huge increase ... i did with a marginal increase to the volt, i am certain that the 5850 with better cooling gets past 1000/1300 but anything above that dosen't give any performance boost. At around 880 clock mark the 5850 beats the 5870 stock in performance.

So single card i will close my eyes and recommend the 5850 for 1920x1080.

dragon hunter said:
@thegame : I cant wait for 2-3 months. I am getting 5.5k for my GTS 250 so in a hurry to sell it to that guy..My Mobo doesnt have onboard vga so I will need another gfx card to run my tv/machine..Thats why I will be buying a gfx card by this week or the next...

@hellgate: I am not a very good fan of the GF100 chipset...Anyways , I cant increase my budget by 3k...otherwise I would have bought the HD 5850 Toxic 2GB which is faar better...

Guyz Plz compare the stock 5850 with the GTX 460 amp...and not the stock one.....As far as I can see in the reviews the AMP edition beats 5850 in many games...
Palit Sonic review
techPowerUp :: Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1 GB Review :: Page 31 / 35
Zotac Amp review:
techPowerUp :: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 460 Amp! Edition 1 GB Review :: Page 31 / 35

In the above review they are comparing with the stock 5850 and when you look at the the overall performance the zotac amp beats the 5850 by 2%:clap::clap: but point to be noted is that for resolutions above 1920*1200 HD 5850 beats the 460:huh:.

Even though i own a 5850 i still don't know why i am so loving towards the green camp:p:D and keeping the price and other extra options like Physx,CUDA i still would go for the Zotac 460

@game

When I have increased the budget there is no point thinking about value....The only thing I am thoughtful is the physx....

Still I will go for the RED BULLS..... :p

Back