Audio Altec Lansing MX 5021 Modding

Re: MX5021 modding

Yup, those are not too bad, they're what I used in the motherboard (the Thermax caps). I use a pair of 4.7uF as input caps in one of my chipamps, and it's fairly transparent, with only the slightest touch of hash at HF. Very usable, and better than FCs.

I seem to remember that Railton on SP Road was a good source of industrial parts (which is = significantly more expensive and marginally better products). That said it's been ten years since I left Bangalore so I'm not really sure. I'm not sure you can get good electrolytics though. I've never found any in any market in the country, so I prefer to import mine.

As an update for anyone who's watching this thread, I changed out 4 or 5 opamps to NE5532 sourced locally. Made a pretty significant difference to the midrange, cleared out the last vestiges of grain. Those 4558 opamps are quite horrible, but in the bass section they'll be just fine. All the opamps relating to the satellite section were changed out, the opamps cost me 12 bucks each (INR).

I also added a pair of RCA jacks to the back instead of the wimpy little 3.5 mm jack, so finally one can use real interconnects. Alas, I find that the sound quality from the rear input is not up to scratch compared to the dock input. Earlier they sounded exactly the same (thus validating that the mods really did make a difference).

I have a modded SB Live hooked up from my download rig to the rear input (using the wimpy little jack) and the modded Delta 66 to the dock input (using a specially made interconnect). There is a significant difference in the midrange quality between the two inputs. The rear input passes through one extra opamp, so maybe some investigation is warranted, but I have no patience to do it.

Just so you all know, the main audio controller is a custom made ST chip, very difficult to find for sale. Be careful with the MXs, if you blow or otherwise damage the chip there's no way it can be replaced.

I also added small 10uF bypass caps on the satellite amp. I have no idea if it made any difference.

No more mods are planned for the MXs, and I plan to retire them from active duty in a few months' time when the Dynes are properly set up (thanks, Zhops!).

For the below mentioned caps,
C50, 52: 2.2uF
C41, 46: 1uF
Since I don't have the FC's can I replace them with white box type film caps(Don knw the technical term) or should I with thermax type.

There are two problems with the box type caps.

1. They can be either Metallised Polyester(MKS) or Metallised Polypropylene (MKP). the former is horrible for audio. If they are PP, then they are usually outstanding caps (my .47 Vishays are MKP types). Trouble is you have to be able to identify them when buying, or you'll waste your money.

2. They are usually very, very large, and their lead length is fixed, so soldering them in place of the electrolytics will be quite an ask. The Yellow caps can be soldered in, standing up vertically.

That said the good box types (MK series) usually provide far superior sound to the yellow tubes you find in India (exotics are made in the rolled up version, but those are not available here).

I would put the box types if I could figure out they were MKP for sure, and I found a way to fit them on the board. If I was unsure of any one of these two things, I'd use the yellow caps.

Sure, why not? Just send me your set for experimentation. If it works out, I'll make a new thread for it! :D

If it doesn't, well, those are the breaks!!

sangram said:
Sure, why not? Just send me your set for experimentation. If it works out, I'll make a new thread for it! :D

If it doesn't, well, those are the breaks!!

Oh man !! When I start working and can afford to, I'll definitely do it :D

Nikhil said:
Any similar tips for a Creative Megaworks 5.1 550 ?? :D

Bring ti to my place. We can dissassemble, take pics and send to him. Much cheaper :lol:

@IAUDJ : If you're picking up a set of caps, please get one set for me too :D

@sangram : no luck with the OPA2134 :( will try again in 2 days

Don't worry about the OPAs. I would suggest swapping in NE5532, which are easily available and deliver adequate performance for the speakers. After that it's diminishing returns. The amp is anyway not the best of performers, so exotic opamps may not help very much.

About the Megawoorks, trace the circuit for me too, as without that it's useless.

@SunnyBoi
Free? :no:
For a premium? :eek:hyeah:

@Sangram
The box type caps(bought locally) I have is not as large as you say. I think I have the wrong ones, because size wise I don see much prob in replacing the elect. caps with these.

A 2.2uF poly cap, even polyester, will be much larger and have a wider pitch than those small electros. Pretty sure you have the wrong cap, either the value or the type of cap does not sit with what I know. A 2.2uF/63V MKP has a 30mm lead pitch, whereas MKS would be 10mm minimum. Electros were 3-5mm, IIRC.

Sunny: YGPM.

Well, it's been here for 6 months ;)

Where were you? j/k :D

I hope you guys have fun with your set, I certainly did.

Nope, haven't ever seen them.

Generally I would ask myself where the weakest link is - I suspect a switch of drivers in the satellite are the place to start, unless I'm convinced they have potential.

The next stop is the amp. To be attempted only if you have knowledge and experience, or an appetite for adventure and the associated risk.

Nice to hear such mods available.Making the best sounding speakers even better. i am planning to buy this model. I am good at soldering, Soon i will carry this mod. Plz tell about amp mod too. picture worth 1000 words so plz post the pics incase you gotta cam:)

There are some pics over at flickr ( www.flickr.com/srakshit ) but I wouldn't hold out too much hope, as they were from a cell camera and are totally useless when it comes to the actual mods, as you can't see anything.

The amp mods include the recapping, the swap to the opamps (5 of them, I don't remember which but you can run a trace easily - they're the ones in the path to the satellite amp), the new wires for the sats and sub, the bypass caps on the poweramp for the satellites, and the fitment of RCA connectors on the rear panel.

Just so you know, I no longer have the speakers with me (they were sold) so I'm not going to be able to walk you through the specific bits that need to be changed. However if you post pics I can jog my memory to try and remember which opamps/caps I changed out. There is no other source of these mods AFAIK, so you're pretty much on your own otherwise.

Have fun with the mods. Remember the board tracks are very fragile and need extreme care or you'll be ripping up half the board when you start soldering.

Thanks sangram. I searched in the internet for almost 4hrs to find better op-amp reasonably priced. i came to conclusion AD8066 is highly regarded one with best sonic stage,smoother highs, well pronounced bass and its been sold at $4. if we just remove the older op-amp and replace with this will work fine?.

Please let me know.

Is OP-AMP model numbers available in India?

LM4562

AD8066

Offtopic: I am always interested in electronics. But i am an Automobile engineer:D any online reference to study about components and circuits?

vijaycool said:
Thanks sangram. I searched in the internet for almost 4hrs to find better op-amp reasonably priced. i came to conclusion AD8066 is highly regarded one with best sonic stage,smoother highs, well pronounced bass and its been sold at $4. Is this model available in India. And if we just remove the older op-amp and replace with this will work fine.

Please let me know.

I got a batch of caps and opamps from sangram for my MX5021 and E-MU1212m mods :D unfortunately i simply dont have time to do it :(

but whenever i do it, i'll def. post some high res pics :D

SunnyBoi said:
I got a batch of caps and opamps from sangram for my MX5021 and E-MU1212m mods :D unfortunately i simply dont have time to do it :(

but whenever i do it, i'll def. post some high res pics :D

Early waiting for your build. I am also staying in Bangalore

Back