Credit score went down in one month.

NikhilSingh25

Disciple
Dec 19, 2023
Gpay reports CIBIL. Sometimes scores between different bureaus may be wildly different.
usually I was seeing 4-5 points difference between Cred and Gpay score , but this time the difference is huge . Will see what Cred reports on next refresh.

guest_999

Adept
Apr 5, 2012
That's why. Utilizing more than 30% of your limit tanks your score.
It is a common myth among many cc users. Using more than 30% of your combined credit limit of all CCs for 1-2 months isn't going to affect your credit score beyond 4-5 points as long as you pay all the due amt on or before due date.
@vishal_k

Reactions: vishal_k

PunkX 75

Adept
Aug 10, 2020
It is a common myth among many cc users. Using more than 30% of your combined credit limit of all CCs for 1-2 months isn't going to affect your credit score beyond 4-5 points as long as you pay all the due amt on or before due date.
@vishal_k
He was paying off only the minimum due at the end of each cycle, that's why.

guest_999

Adept
Apr 5, 2012
Yes that's the reason not just high credit limit utilization. Even if he had 2-3 more cc with higher limits which would have lowered his credit utilization ratio the significant drop would still be there.

NikhilSingh25

Disciple
Dec 19, 2023
I asked a friend of mine who used to work as credit card salesman and he said as long as you make the payment even the minimum the CC company does not care , your score would be the same as long as you keep paying them. And i did confirm this with another guy who haven't made a single full payment in 8 months his score went from 739(last year) to 760 now.

guest_999

Adept
Apr 5, 2012
I asked a friend of mine who used to work as credit card salesman and he said as long as you make the payment even the minimum the CC company does not care , your score would be the same as long as you keep paying them. And i did confirm this with another guy who haven't made a single full payment in 8 months his score went from 739(last year) to 760 now.
It also depend on credit bureau's algorithm being used at the time. For example, experian recently changed its algorithm leading to a drop of around 100 points in many ppl experian score while still having good cibil score as usual.

NikhilSingh25

Disciple
Dec 19, 2023
It also depend on credit bureau's algorithm being used at the time. For example, experian recently changed its algorithm leading to a drop of around 100 points in many ppl experian score while still having good cibil score as usual.
That could be the reason why my score went down that much.

vishal_k

Disciple
Jun 3, 2012
Chhattisgarh
@vishal_k
Didn't knew that. I never went beyond this limit in past 11 yrs. Through credit card, I spend only that much amount which I can pay through debit card. Only difference is I gain some additional interest through sweep in facility till next bill date.

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Mar 24, 2005
51nD m3!
www.techenclave.com
If you keep paying only the min. due amount and think your are paying off the entire bill which is illogical is obviously going to affect the credit score few months down.
As for credit utilization, if you are constantly using up to 50% quite often and occasionally beyond 50-60% and ensure to timely/before due date pay the entire bills the score never gets affected. My personal exp.

PunkX 75

Adept
Aug 10, 2020
If your utilization stays beyond 30%, and you only pay off the minimum due, your score will drop at some point.

NikhilSingh25

Disciple
Dec 19, 2023
If your utilization stays beyond 30%, and you only pay off the minimum due, your score will drop at some point.
No point in worrying about it anyways, will be making the full payment on this next month. Let's hope it doesn't take long to recover the score