Energy star rating

rahulbmg

Disciple
Sep 18, 2009
Guys ,..Last day i went to buy a washing machine.And a man in that shop told me that the star rating is of no use and it is fake..can any one tell me how this energy star ratings work..I mean how dose it save energy..

amd999

Adept
Nov 17, 2009
he is talking about BIS (bharat energy star rating ) and not EPA star rating of USA.THE BIS star rating is a similiar rating enforced by Govt.of India, the higher the star the lower the energy consumption.

No need to worry about star ratings on imported multinational brands, as they may be of intl quality made for exports to many nations so all of them are made with strict energy norms.

If its a "made in INdia product", then you must check its BIS star ratings !!!!!

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
amd999 said:
he is talking about BIS (bharat energy star rating ) and not EPA star rating of USA.THE BIS star rating is a similiar rating enforced by Govt.of India, the higher the star the lower the energy consumption.
No he was talking about BEE, and being a usual salesman, ie full of crap.
amd999 said:
No need to worry about star ratings on imported multinational brands, as they may be of intl quality made for exports to many nations so all of them are made with strict energy norms.

If its a "made in INdia product", then you must check its BIS star ratings !!!!!
Oh so just because something is foreign then its more energy efficient ?

heh, you do realise we get the cheaper 'foreign' models here because they have a 30% markup already. So more efficient ones sell for more abroad, then imagine how much more it is here.

@OP here is the list of appliances tested by BEE.

I don't see washing machines in that list (!)

maybe this is why you were told the ratings were fake :lol:

amd999

Adept
Nov 17, 2009
many imported international brands have more energy effialceint technology rather than local made in India makes.India still dont have the basic quality control on any thing ...the new bharat energy ratings are just a new !!!!!....

Imported washing machines sold in India such as from Siemens,whrilpool (few models),sharp,Hitachi, Panasonic (few models)are all international models so its quality & energy consumption levels meet intl quality. European union & US enforced these polices more than 10 years ago, India just begun just now.... also with basic things !!!!!!!

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
amd999 said:
many imported international brands have more energy effialceint technology rather than local made in India makes.India still dont have the basic quality control on any thing ...the new bharat energy ratings are just a new !!!!!....
Depending on the model, yes, as a blanket statement as you made earlier NO.

amd999 said:
Imported washing machines sold in India such as from Siemens,whrilpool (few models),sharp,Hitachi, Panasonic (few models)are all international models so its quality & energy consumption levels meet intl quality. European union & US enforced these polices more than 10 years ago, India just begun just now.... also with basic things !!!!!!!
Quality levels yes, that too again depending on the model. I'd check beforehand what ppl are saying about different models regardless of whether they are intl or not.

Go through the BEE lists for various appliances and you will notice its not surprising to find foreign 1 & 2 star (amongst higher rated) by BEE stds in them.

All I'm saying is you can't go into a shop and just use this simplistic foreign good, domestic bad, way of thinking. If the price is 50% more for a foreign vs a domestic and the foreign breaks down at some point where are you then ?