Mac OS I finally get it about Apple fanboys

When I was looking for a new laptop, I thought of the Air, and then was reluctant to switch after years of Windows. I was looking at the new ultrabooks etc, but my wife yelled at me and said, "at least TRY a Mac and sell it if you don't like it". I had in fact posted that I might have 2 Airs for sale here, but it was deleted by the mods, as I did not know the rules about the sale forums.

So, I got an Air 2 weeks ago and completely fell in love with it. Best computer I have ever used. Ordered another for my wife, and am getting an iMac for my daughter. That is how much I like the Mac.

So, I finally get it that when people talk about the ultrabooks on other forums, Apple fanboy's just say "it does not run the Mac OS".

So, for those 'thinking' of switching, just do it. You will not be disappointed. Playing with a Mac for a half hour or so at a store just does not show you what the Mac can do. The hardware is of course totally sexy, but the software is what is the beauty behind a Mac.

Regards,

New fanboy :hap5:

This makes me curious too. I will lookout for a MAC too. :)

The problem is they are expensive and entering a new territory is scary.

Can you just tell the general usage that you put into the Mac?

destiny said:
welcome to the Apple Family

Thanks
linuxtechie said:
hey doc,

Dont mess with the hornet's nest! :)

+LT

LT, you're a mod here? Didn't want to stir anything, and hence posted in the Mac section. Posting this in the Windows sections would be trolling right? :)
dhruvrock2000 said:
Might want to elaborate on it a bit ?

Was that addressed to me? Elaborate on what I like about Mac OS?

Interesting to hear. What are the exact uses that made you fell for the MAC ? Would ve got a mac if they ve released the OS alone supporting all hardwares. btw, if you have used ubuntu or other distros with some creative mods, please tell how would you compare it to mac?

ive used mac only at office, and troubleshooting it was a mess, as Ive no pre mac experience. (just some 5~10 mins at some friend's MACs only).

BikeAdvice said:
Steve Jobs once told Eben that Apple is a software company. The hardware is just the enabler for their software.
deepakvrao said:
LT, you're a mod here? Didn't want to stir anything, and hence posted in the Mac section. Posting this in the Windows sections would be trolling right? :)
Keep it healthy guys and all is good, but no bashing, seriously.

+LT
:mad: Somehow I don't believe, if its going to stay that way.:no:

Its simply the fact that Apple products are closer to an appliance than a general purpose device

Awesome at what they are designed to do, but will do only what they are designed to do.

Sarath_ said:
This makes me curious too. I will lookout for a MAC too. :)

The problem is they are expensive and entering a new territory is scary.

Can you just tell the general usage that you put into the Mac?

Surfing, mails, plenty of MS office work, some photo work including editing, movies & music, no video editing or any other CPU intensive stuff.

What I like and is different in my opinion?

Sexy hardware - from the small power brick, to the magnetic plug, backlit keyboard [I guess all Win laptops also have them now but my earlier Dell did not], and of course the AMAZING trackpad

Software stuff - just a few that come to mind off hand

Multi touch gestures

Spotlight search - just amazing speed and great searching, seeing a preview of the result by just hovering the cursor on a result, search includes search inside documents

Different options in Finder on how to preview a file, especially scrolling thru the previews

Seeing previews without opening the main apps

No hanging, crashing, rebooting

Connecting back to my wifi every time without having to do it manually ever, or having to 'repair' my connection'

Time machine back up

Expose, I think its called mission control now with multiple desktops

The 3 finger up swipe to see all open apps, the three finger down swipe to see all open windows of the app you are working on

The hot corners

Dashboard with amazing widgets like currency converter, translation, dictionary, world clock, area/weight/volume convertor etc

Installing apps/programs is simple, and uninstalling even easier

Wake from sleep is like one second most of the time and max 2-3

Boot is 25 seconds

Connects and maintains connection to my NAS HDD allways, while I always had some issues with Windows

Somehow working with multiple windows is much easier than on Windows. I use a dual monitor Win setup in my office, and that makes it easier, but on the Air I do almost as much, as fast on a single screen. Can't really explain it.

RAM usage is much better than in Windows

iTunes works much better than on my Win PC

Look up dictionary at the click of a button

Date and day of week on menubar [small thing but immensely useful]

Calendar works great

No viruses

Few things that come to my mind.

Disclosure:

1. I am not a geek, but just an average user. I think that is what Apple really targets I guess. Like someone said, you can do a lot with Macs, as long as you do it 'their' way. I'm OK with that as long as the computer just works.

2. I come from xp, so don't really know what Win 7 is capable of

EDIT: Used Win 7 for about 5 days in a guest house PC, so while I say I dont know what Win 7 is like, I mean I have no long term exposure to it.

I really am not here to bash Windows, Linuxtechie, but like I said, I'm sure there must be many others in my shoes who are debating the switch. Just to push tem over the edge ;)

I just wish I had done this at my last purchase 4 years ago.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

abracadabra said:
just another wasted thread, rather he should ha put his Mac Book air in the Show OFF!

Why would you say that? See the detailed post I have made on the benefits that 'I' perceive.

deepakvrao said:
Congrats, good sir :) Which MBA's did you buy btw, 13 or 11?
Also, 25 seconds is quite slow for an SSD bootup, so you should go to Disk Utility and try Repairing Disk Permissions, that will probably shave off a couple of seconds of the boot. (I'm saying this cause my boot averages around 14-16 seconds) :)

Enjoy your Macs!

^^^13" 128gb models.

Boot is a bit less, maybe 20 plus, and thats with 'reopen windows when logging back in' clicked, so all the apps also open up in that time. Will time it without and post back.

Edit: 17 seconds to boot and launch this browser window, timed. Just amazing.

deepakvrao said:
^^^13" 128gb models.

Boot is a bit less, maybe 20 plus, and thats with 'reopen windows when logging back in' clicked, so all the apps also open up in that time. Will time it without and post back.

Ah, that dreaded Resume feature. There are only a handful of gripes I have with Lion, and that is one of them. That, and the stupid realisation of scrolling the wrong way when you use someone elses Snow Leopard machine.

At least the scrolling the wrong way can be changed in preferences. BTW, I have it set like Windows which is the right way for me. Pretty sure your right way would be the opposite?

deepakvrao said:
At least the scrolling the wrong way can be changed in preferences. BTW, I have it set like Windows which is the right way for me. Pretty sure your right way would be the opposite?

If you turn off natural scrolling the 4 finger switching between (what used to be) spaces gets inverted, and for someone who uses those spaces on a fairly regular basis, its far more important. So i had to get used to the way Lion handles 2 finger scrolling by default

Back