Graphic Cards Need Help !! now i can boil eggs on my 4850 :(

john117

Adept
need help !!
i had got my bro a sapphire hd4850 .. after sometime it started heating up a lot so i sent him artic silver thermal compound and told him to clean up the stock thermal compound and apply the AS-5 and reseat the heatsink . It worked fine for few days now its worse then ever ..
following is the screenshot when pc is idle .. no games no apps ,nothing is running.
49307113.jpg

on load ie while gaming temps go as high as 120 C and pc shutsdown .
so tell me what to do now .. :(

^^ Try cleaning heatsink and reseat heatsink with proper application of thermal grease. Also increase fan speed to 100%.

Also if this doesn't help, buy a aftermarket gpu cooler.

chk if the heatsink is properly installed.
I think dust has clogged the cooler. post pics of the cooler.

120 is seriously high even for HD 4850, wht is ur bro's case?
ANd Is the GPU dual slot or Single slot? Single slot HD 4850 reach 90 C under load.

And HD 4850 have this issue:

Fan operates only @ 30%. U will have to increase the rpm by a hack. Chk if u suffer this issue.

WingZero said:
check for dust clogging should be the culprit. Clean the card

4850hm1.jpg

post the pic of the card, model

^^ model is sapphire hd4850 its a single slot model .. catalyst version 9.3

he has set fan speed to 100% from catalyst control center .

About the case its some generic case and he runs it with both flaps open .Temps weren't that high in winters ,it used to reach 95C on load ( ambient temps being 10-15C) .He staying in college hostel and now in summers temps reach as high as 36-40C in room .. (yeah its that hot ) and card temps reach 120C and pc shuts down while running anything that stresses the gpu.He will be sending me the pics of card with and without heatsink in a hour or so.My guess is North indian summer is at fault and need to get a aftermarket cooler so please suggest one for 4850, also see the pics and tell me if the thermal compound is applied properly if not, then please tell me the correct way to do it.

I think its time for a custom cooler, or GPU change.

One advantage of staying in Bangalore is u dont need Ac. the last time I visited delhi I took bath @ 3am with cold water due to the heat. I couldnt sleep in the house, had to go and sleep in the car with AC on.:rofl:

I can see from your screenshot that FAN speed is at 100%, still card is reaching 80 degree at idle. That's a lot. As WingZero posted, check for clogged Fan. Also, I think that after applying the thermal grease, your bro hasn't secured the heatsink properly enough.

hmmm

few reasons

heat sink might have not set in

dust etc are basic hygine for the card

how is your proc temp please check that. use HWmonitor or something. In the end is your cabinet itself too hot and not enough air to cool down anything

i too have 4850 and i game a lot. but my fan is 38% and my game temp is 72-73 max. and i still prefer Riva Tuner for fan settings.

also I have ordered for Akasa Cooler once that comes in can tell you if its worth it or not.

has to be dust cloggin....single slot models had this prob. Ask him to clean the heatsink removing the plastic mesh and all....check the pic how the airflow is blocked.

ok now please take a look and tell me if thermal paste is applied properly and in sufficient amount, so wats proper way to apply the thermal paste .. my bro followed the method given on arctic silver's website also tell me how to remove the plastic mesh ..

dude clean the heatsink....the red plastic part open it and clean the heastink. M quite sure its dust clogging.

john117 said:

remove the red part covering part and you ll find the card like this with the blue ellipse marking the dust clogging

4850hm1.jpg

Get an Accelero S1 Rev.2. It's the only proper solution I found to this single slot cooling f*ck up that ATI had done. My earlier situation was same as your brothers. Although the temps wouldn't be as high as 120 degrees at load but would go to 105 degrees at load & 75 degrees on idle. Never experienced any shutdown though. Got the Accelero & strapped on a 120mm fan to it & since last 6 months the idle temps are 43 degrees & load barely crosses 50 degrees. It's worth the investment, trust me. :p

i dont think spending 2k on accelero is worthy for 4850 , better sell 4850 and get a 4770 which will run cooler and less power consumption

or RMA the current 4850 if it has local warranty and u should get dual slot version in replacement .

Back