Graphic Cards Need Help !! now i can boil eggs on my 4850 :(

@Rockfella: that hell of a guide :) I don't know that ati/amd shipped their card with such a crap cooler.does nvidia cards (in the same league of 4850) has the similar stock cooler problem ?

wingzero you were right all along .. it was friggin dust clogged to the fins of heat sink.. see for ur self

when ma bro cleaned his card and rebooted .. he coudnt believe that its the same card which was boiling eggs ten minutes ago..

thanks mate !!:hap2: a beer is due whenever u r in town :cheers: .. just gimme a holler :D

does nvidia cards (in the same league of 4850) has the similar stock cooler problem ?
nvidia stock coolers are of similar design. But their chips run relatively cooler than their ATI counterparts.

satyanjoy said:
@Rockfella: that hell of a guide :) I don't know that ati/amd shipped their card with such a crap cooler.does nvidia cards (in the same league of 4850) has the similar stock cooler problem ?

i have the same card n the cooler is quiet decent....the only problem is the red enclosure...remove it n its good to go for months...
i have my card idling at 35c n max load condition is 65c.... ambient here in navi mumbai is 34c...

that all wid 45% fan speed at idle n 55% at load.

going forward wid rockfella mod gives me stock fan at 20% or even less (less than 1000rpm)
card idles at 33c n max load temp is less than 55c

i will try to post some pics later...

@john117, make sure u have ur bro monitor the temps and clean the card on a monthly/bi-monthly basis, the cooler design helps dust clog pretty fast. Also ensure that he has an input fan for his cabinet (along with the exhaust ofcourse)

madnav said:
iremove it n its good to go for months...
you say 4850 with stock cooler owners are better off just removing part of the cooler? plz do post pics - thanks

john117 said:
wingzero you were right all along .. it was friggin dust clogged to the fins of heat sink.. see for ur self

when ma bro cleaned his card and rebooted .. he coudnt believe that its the same card which was boiling eggs ten minutes ago..

thanks mate !!:hap2: a beer is due whenever u r in town :cheers: .. just gimme a holler :D

Glad to help:D . Good that its back working fine.

Thanks everone for helping me. But it seems that my problems r far frm over...
Now i got idle temp 52'C and a load temp of max 70'C. But when i play games, they still crash just after 4 or 5 minutes... Only justifiable reason i can think of is that my branded PSU has died a week ago,thus i am using a local psu untill i get a new branded one. Second reason is that i had checkd my card on Cryostatis only,which is a buggy game. I'm installing warhead now which used 2 run rock solid @max settings before all these problems. Will post the findings soon. Till then, helppppp me.

^^ till then wt to help buddy??....it should be your psu or maybe the 120 degrees took its toll on the gpu.. lets hope its the former one.

Its PSU after all... Warhead blew my local PSU up.. I had similar experience with two previous PSU which i used before getting a branded one. Now all PSU are dead.
What kinda psu should i buy?? I know that thermaltake offers separate vga psu. There is a 250watt pure power psu,450watt&600 watt available. 250watt should be enough for my card as this is a dedicated psu for vga only. So using such a psu should be cheap 4 me as a local psu will hold the rest of the system & a branded vga only powers the card.
Where can i buy this psu in india?(even online will do). Are there any other brand vga psu in market?

I hve also found a ocz 700watt psu for rs 1500. I think that much power shud b 'nuff. . . I just wanna knw how good ocz products are?
So now what shud i do? Get a 250watt vga psu or 700watt psu??? Help me...

Jason Bourne said:
I hve also found a ocz 700watt psu for rs 1500. I think that much power shud b 'nuff. . . I just wanna knw how good ocz products are?

there is no way on earth a 700w OCZ psu costs only 1.5k

Jason Bourne said:

lola......big lol......OCZ which is on par wid CORSAIR for 1500:O

i wl buy 100 of those n sell it for 3K:eek:hyeah:
evn d thrd hand wl cost more, forget abt 2nd hand:rofl:

:rofl: from where did u get these prices .. get something locally coz if u get it shipped from some dealer and if it blows up then ur in deep shit , remember what happnd with the psu i got from TE and then u cudnt got it replaced.So try getting some psu with 600-700w rating and it should be fine .

Jason Bourne said:

Where are you getting an OCZ for 1500/-? sounds like a scam.

The PSU is basically THE MOST underrated component of a PC. A bad PSU can compromise not only its own safety/lifetime but also that of the OTHER components in your rig.

Since you are anyway in the market for a new PSU, I would suggest that you get a really good one. However, to be able to recommend a good PSU, we would need you to list out the rest of your config.

No they dont have any problems. It was ATI's desperate comeback card, they wanted to make it most VFM. They did this by giving shitty cooler.
satyanjoy said:

have used insulated conductors widin cat5 cable to serve the purpose of cable ties...very flexible, strong n cost effective substitute for normal cable ties.

have used 3fans to slot adjacent to sapphire HD4850 vanilla
1st fan closer to the rear of the cabinet is 92mm fan off an after market cpu cooler i had lying around...powered by chassis fan power header on mobo. it operates at ~3000rpm at all times. silent it is.

the central fan is 80mm fan off amd stock cooler i got wid my athlon X2 5200+.
it is powered by cpu fan header on the mobo...it operates at Cool n Quiet(/Q-fan) settings for cpu...i assumed that cpu wud be at load while the gpu is too..so it remains silent when idling.sometimes i switch it too full speed incase i feel temps are nt so good... its loud at 4500+rpm.(cpu fan...i.e fan wid ccf is powered via power fan connector on mobo..speed control is manual so nt an issue)

the last fan is a generic 92mm fan that comes wid bijli... costs below 50...not so great bt its right above the stock fan of the gpu. it assists the ram sink / vrm area watever it is :p
what i have noticed is.. the stock fan pf the gpu slows down as i increase the central fan speed...maybe they have opposite air flows. so not to put pressure on the stock fan..i run it at the minimum speed all the time.

sorry for the dusty pics :)

madnav said:

have used insulated conductors widin cat5 cable to serve the purpose of cable ties...very flexible, strong n cost effective substitute for normal cable ties.

have used 3fans to slot adjacent to sapphire HD4850 vanilla

1st fan closer to the rear of the cabinet is 92mm fan off an after market cpu cooler i had lying around...powered by chassis fan power header on mobo. it operates at ~3000rpm at all times. silent it is.

the central fan is 80mm fan off amd stock cooler i got wid my athlon X2 5200+.

it is powered by cpu fan header on the mobo...it operates at Cool n Quiet(/Q-fan) settings for cpu...i assumed that cpu wud be at load while the gpu is too..so it remains silent when idling.sometimes i switch it too full speed incase i feel temps are nt so good... its loud at 4500+rpm.(cpu fan...i.e fan wid ccf is powered via power fan connector on mobo..speed control is manual so nt an issue)

the last fan is a generic 92mm fan that comes wid bijli... costs below 50...not so great bt its right above the stock fan of the gpu. it assists the ram sink / vrm area watever it is :p

what i have noticed is.. the stock fan pf the gpu slows down as i increase the central fan speed...maybe they have opposite air flows. so not to put pressure on the stock fan..i run it at the minimum speed all the time.

sorry for the dusty pics :)

Innovative, yes. But, cost effective? a packet of 100 ties costs 10 bucks. Am i missing something here? :ashamed:

+ ties will have limited circumference to cover. n reuse of ties take a lil time coz of its lock mechanism.

also i had cat5 lying around so cost effective in that sense :)

btw..i didnt know cable ties were that cheap..

definitely buying a pack next time i go lammy :) ..thnx for the tip :)

Back