New AC suggestions.

I am living in Delhi & am looking for a Split AC to be installed in my room. The room size is 12 X 10. Would 1.0 ton be sufficient for my room?

Please suggest me a good AC with 5 star rating and which lasts long without giving any troubles.

Budget : Rs.25000/-

Please provide more details like what is the direction of room.. Is it an apartment, does the sunlight fall on walls roof.. How many hrs typical use, Split or window preferred...

Among others..

The room is East facing with a balcony which is covered and currently i am using LG window a/c but as it has gone old i am now looking to sell it and buy a Split (indoor) a/c.

Yes this is an apartment. Usage : 8-10 hrs a day.

IF you can afford a 5 star then depending on your budget you can get Hitachi Quadricool /Ogeneral/Daikin/Carrier Esterella... Lower budget you can try... Onida/Whirlpool... LG/Samsung are better avoided...

I don't recommend 3 star AC's but that's a personal decision...

Also if you can then you should try Scroll compressor based AC's... Now almost every brand has them.. They can save you a lot of money in the long run but still cost upwards 45k...

IF you can afford a 5 star then depending on your budget you can get Hitachi Quadricool /Ogeneral/Daikin/Carrier Esterella... Lower budget you can try... Onida/Whirlpool... LG/Samsung are better avoided...

So do you think that LG & Samsung are the worst brands among the above?

voltas 5 star ac vertis gold 1.5 Ton = Rs 26,000. you can get the 1 ton for even lesser.

rohitshakti2 said:
So do you think that LG & Samsung are the worst brands among the above?

Their quality is questionable by & far.. I have both LG & Samsung air conditioners. Now Samsung started giving trouble from first month itself. The power cord was getting insanely hot. Even when I installed proper & separate wiring from the electric meter for the AC itself it was still heating albeit not like earlier. Its compressor died & had to install a new one. The control panel stopped showing display..

With LG I was lucky, but I presume 'coz i didn't went for a generic model but a Premium model with extra cooling compressor. Its working for me but the noise level is more than even a desert cooler (nagpoori types)... I cannot use it in Energy Saving mode 'coz when the AC starts it makes a loud thud & I wake up from sleep... :p

Just buy the Hitachi 1.2 ton split (5 star rating). MRP - 31k approx. I had picked it for 28k w/o exchange last year during recession. Its superb.

I think its saving me a grand every month in elec bills. But maybe thats coz I had an old assembled AC earlier.

if you are not gonna run it 24x7 and use it for sleep time alone, picky up 3 star A/c.'s not much diff in running cost/ Godrej are really good. I am using a 1.5 for my room and a 1.0 for kids room.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had visited many dealers nearby and most of them told me to avoid Samsung & LG as they are the worst in their eyes.

They also told that Samsung, LG, Voltas, Whirlpool & Videocon are all made in china and if i want to buy a good ac, then i should go with O-General, Panasonic or Mitashi as these are Japanese made brands.

Pls give your comments on it.

General & Hitachi are a class above LG/Samsung without doubt. Hitachi are famous for their reliability. I am running a 1 ton window AC since the last 2 yrs without any servicing whatsoever !! (I actually keep forgetting to renew the service contract)

I live in Bangalore and have a 12x10 room with two windows facing west. The max temp we touched in April this year is 37.6C. I purchased a Godrej GSC12FP3 1 ton AC for 18.5k which also includes a stabilizer and installation cost. The AC has been working very well. We mainly use it at night. Probably you need a more powerful AC for Delhi. It's been a value buy for me and during my visit to Chennai recently, in a serviced apartment I observed that the 1.5 ton Onida AC there had the same exact remote which I have at home. Looks like Onida and Godrej uses the same parts to build the AC. I found that most used Samsung in Chennai and the famous premium brand there was O General. Just by 50p :)

^... Its impossible. There are more than 150 models across brands & nobody can track each & every model. So go by the brand & narrow it down to a specific model depending on your budget...

Almost all AC's have rotary compressors & power consumption varies from 50-350watts across numerous models. Features are more or less same but each company gives fancy names but nothing rocket science here...

In a generalized manner recommended brands are mentioned already... Look around & select few models then it would be easier to recommend out of those selected few.. :)

Back