Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikon S9300

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nolasco

Disciple
Dec 15, 2007
Hi Guys,

A friend has asked for suggestions for a pocket zoom and after quite a bit of research I have narrowed down to the Sony WX200 and the Panasonic TZ30.Both cameras seem to have their pros and cons but eventually my main criteria is image quality.

The PASM Modes, Better battery life, Better screen legibility outdoors, GPS, touchscreen, much better zoom make the Panasonic a compelling buy however have read a lot of people saying there is quite a bit of noise even at base ISO and image quality is not upto the mark.

As for the Sony, its much slimmer and lighter with decent zoom, has Wifi, seems to have a better sensor with a lot of people praising the image quality, 18 mp though that doesnt mean much, supposedly better high iso image quality however have read a couple of reviews where people have mentioned that again there is noise at base ISO.

The Canon SX260HS is out of the contention due to focus hunting during lowlight and mediocre battery life whereas both the Panasonic and Sony seem to be excellent at quick focusing.
The WX 200, TZ30 & SX260HS are available for 11.5k, 12.7k and 13.8k. Budget is 14k max so while I would like to suggest the RX100 thats not possible.

What would you guys suggest? For those of you who have used these cameras, what do you think? While the Panasonic seems to have the most features and seems a very good overall buy, is the image quality too much of a let down? The manual mode though useful can be sacrificed for overall better image quality.

ankit360

Disciple
May 24, 2012
Thane
i m using TZ30 so if u have any questions ask me.

camera is great as they told . HD @ 1080P is awesome .
not happy with battery . they don't provide battery charger so u need to charge it from camera itself which take 3-4 hours to fully charge battery

external charger & battery is difficult to find in local / online store .

Power OIS won't work great ..

rocky_jvm

Adept
Aug 23, 2007
Why don't you look at for SONY HX10v , probably will get it on your budget in grey market. Else try to look for older sony hx9v. Excellent PQ in a Pointnshoot