Samsung Galaxy Note - Discussion Thread

Gifted myself Note this Christmas, really happy with the performance for the screen size. However i've a question regarding battery life. Fully charged my note before sleeping but in the morning batt level is 80%. Data mode is turned off so i'm guessing no data related activities during this period. Is this normal, or should i go for custom roms/kernals (noob) to improve battery perf? All i want is improvement in perf, not too keen on changing the UI.

That is slightly weird. I used the note without a custom ROM for two days and didn't have to charge the battery more than once in those two days.

In fact the data was on all the time, so was sync and I am on HSDPA. Also, I am a heavy whatsapp user.

I think you should give a brand new battery it's judgement only after 4 or 5 recharges.

plsoft said:
Gifted myself Note this Christmas, really happy with the performance for the screen size. However i've a question regarding battery life. Fully charged my note before sleeping but in the morning batt level is 80%. Data mode is turned off so i'm guessing no data related activities during this period. Is this normal, or should i go for custom roms/kernals (noob) to improve battery perf? All i want is improvement in perf, not too keen on changing the UI.
Please confirm firmware version - 2.3.5 which is the stock firmware did have issues with battery drain. KL3 which is 2.3.6 has sorted that. I have posted the method to root and install CWM in an earlier post here. Do that and flash Abyss Kernel 2.5 from XDA. Should take care of all this. Even if you're not sure of the rooting and CWM part, just update to KL3 and you'll see a massive difference

Sent from The Note using T'talk Pro

Freaky said:
Please check this thread - [16Nov11]How to Root/Unroot Samsung Galaxy Note + CWM (simple step at end of post) - xda-developers

At the end of the first post is a very easy method - download file, run the batch file and it does everything on its own! Remember to enable installation of apps from Unknown Sources and USB Debugging (Both under Applications in settings)

thanks man. got root. just one more thing, if I use this to flash the KL7 firmware, that too wont affect the binary counter right? and can I also use that to install custom kernels?

@freaky, thanks, will try it after office hours and get back.
As for the firmware version.

Android Version: 2.3.6
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-N7000XXKL3-CL793489 root@DELL136#2
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XXKL3

@red dragon
Thanks, will check and get back.

Also, is there any service under 'Running Services' that i can terminate without affecting the OS? Maybe they also affect battery performance?

manu1991 said:
thanks man. got root. just one more thing, if I use this to flash the KL7 firmware, that too wont affect the binary counter right? and can I also use that to install custom kernels?

Yes - Mobile ODIN Pro works just fine! KL7? - which custom rom?
plsoft said:
@freaky, thanks, will try it after office hours and get back.

As for the firmware version.

Android Version: 2.3.6

Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-N7000XXKL3-CL793489 root@DELL136#2

Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XXKL3

@red dragon

Thanks, will check and get back.

Also, is there any service under 'Running Services' that i can terminate without affecting the OS? Maybe they also affect battery performance?

Wierd! You're on KL3 already. Download CPU Spy, reboot phone and run CPU Spy before going to sleep. Check in the morning the frequencies the phone has been running on - should be Deep Sleep for almost the entire duration. Else, time to flash custom kernel :p

manu1991 said:
I was talking about the stock XXKL7 ROM dated 19 December
Don't think that makes any difference. It seems to be just the German version of 2.3.6 :p If you're on KL3, stick to it or move to custom roms (DarkyNote or Rocket ROM)

Saw the phone yesterday, and just wanted to express my views about it..

SIZE:

Firstly, Its WAAAAAAY too Big to call it a Phone, and not Big enough to be a Tablet, Starting a New Name, PhaBlet...

It wont fit properly in any pocket.. Even if it does, it would be very uncomfortable..

The Best way would be to Keep it in a pocket of the Jacket/Coat. Else, a Flip Cover..

That Defies its use as a tablet as it cannot give full experience of a Tablet..

Holding it in one hand was a bit troublesome. Typing using two hands was Great, but one hand - IMPOSSIBLE!!!

PERFORMANCE:

Performance was too good... Very fast, rarely did it lag when used at the Showroom...

Watching Movies was just Awesome!!!! Audio Performance was better than SGS 2 and Loudspeaker felt enough for watching a Movie.

CALL:

Fortunately, the showroom piece had a Sim Card... So, I made a call to my phone.. It was difficult to hold it and talk for even 2 min..

Only Possible way was to Pair a BT Headset and call...

BROWSING:

Browsing was OK, but I felt we should keep Zooming in and out to read some text properly..

It fell short of a Tablet over here..

My View:

No way it can be used as a Primary Phone/Tablet due to its huge size, and Cant be used as A tablet..

For an Average user, I would never recommend it.. For Business Professionals, who use BT and keep the Phablet in their Coat/Jacket.

For A Multimedia user, Who wants to have a great PMP+ Phone, I may recommend it, only if the Audio Quality is as good, and if the Battery Lasts well..

I just recommend it for those who wants to have an Exclusive and Great gadget, But you may not use it much.

Hybrids like this will surely be a Hit, if the Battery Backup is great.. Note has it, and till date,it has achieved Enough.

But even then, it could not even reach the sales of SGS2 even if it is just 2K More.

Finally I feel, it wont be used much in day to day life..

NOTE: These are just my views, don't intend to hurt anyone's views...

Well, lot of people here will not agree with the views posted here. Yes, the phone is big but it fits just fine in your pocket - your pant pocket (and I drive a 2 wheeler 40 kms everyday with it in my pocket) without any issues. My colleague had the same view on the size as yours but was pleasantly surprised to see it fit comfortably in his pant pocket as well!

As for usage, have had it for a month now and I always use the phone without any BT headset - no issues there as well. Have spoken for over 20 minutes without any difficulty.

As for using it as a tablet, yes it may not be a full fledged one but to me it beautifully blends a phone and a large screen - one that is good enough for me to read pdf books as well and is easy to hold at the same time

Audio quality when using earphones is excellent and my TF10 forms a great combination with this :p Movie watching was a pleasure too. Now to get a MHL adapter and use this as my portable HD player :p

Appreciate your detailed views though :)

I had the same first impression as teja, but I got used to the size, and for me it's perfect. I absolutely love viewing natgeo magazines on it. It's one of the best devices I've ever bought really.

Well, Are you guys sure that people will get used to it??

My Father wanted to buy it, but backed out after he saw the phone yesterday.

It had awesome performance, and with CM9, it will be complete.. Even Battery Backup is found to be good..

oh he will most certainly get used to in .

i also had my apprehensions for the first few hours but in under a day it just worked its magic on me and now i cant do without it. all other devices feel small in my hand now

Freaky said:
Ahhh.. Good! Anybody bought a MHL adapter ?

A friend got that MHL adapter for me for 450rs only. I got S2.. The retail one costs 1.3k I guess. This is the same stuff, just imported from outside without warranty. Works like a charm..

yogi7272 said:
A friend got that MHL adapter for me for 450rs only. I got S2.. The retail one costs 1.3k I guess. This is the same stuff, just imported from outside without warranty. Works like a charm..

Locally or on eBay ?

Back