Samsung Galaxy Note - Discussion Thread

Just finished flashing AbyssNote 2.5 as @freaky suggested. The new kernel version reads:
2.6.35.14-ver2.5
AbyssNote@angelom-K50IN#3

Can anyone confirm that i've got it right? Also can i turn off 'Unknown Sources' & 'USB Debugging' off now that it's done?

^^Factually slightly incorrect. They have not SOLD 1 million devices, they have shipped them(to resellers). There is a difference between selling and shipping :)

plsoft said:
Just finished flashing AbyssNote 2.5 as @freaky suggested. The new kernel version reads:

2.6.35.14-ver2.5

AbyssNote@angelom-K50IN#3

Can anyone confirm that i've got it right? Also can i turn off 'Unknown Sources' & 'USB Debugging' off now that it's done?
That is correct. And yes you may turn them off though I wonder why you should :p

Sent from The Note using T'talk Pro

Saw battery life improvement after flashing to AbyssNote 2.5 all thanks to this thread & @freaky. So, my new battery performance is:

With stock kernel: Charged battery full before sleep, in the morning remaining battery was 80%.
With AbyssNote kernel: Charged battery to 98% before sleep, in the morning remaining battery was 92% :eek:hyeah:

plsoft said:
Saw battery life improvement after flashing to AbyssNote 2.5 all thanks to this thread & @freaky. So, my new battery performance is:

With stock kernel: Charged battery full before sleep, in the morning remaining battery was 80%.

With AbyssNote kernel: Charged battery to 98% before sleep, in the morning remaining battery was 92% :eek:hyeah:

Good to know that! Just keep track for 3 ~ 4 days. Charge to 100% and when removing reset CPU Spy and check if the phone is indeed in Deep Sleep when idle. If it is, you're set :)

And if you haven't installed too many apps or customized the phone yet, move on to a custom rom now!

Planning on installing Rocket ROM V13 tomorrow. Currently on stock 2.3.6 (KL3). I am rooted and have CWM installed. Is a full wipe recommended?

Never installed a ROM without a wipe before so just wanted to know if I will lose all the apps currently installed. Also, do is it better to perform a nandroid backup through CWM or Rom manager?

TIA

dafreaking said:
Planning on installing Rocket ROM V13 tomorrow. Currently on stock 2.3.6 (KL3). I am rooted and have CWM installed. Is a full wipe recommended?

Never installed a ROM without a wipe before so just wanted to know if I will lose all the apps currently installed. Also, do is it better to perform a nandroid backup through CWM or Rom manager?

TIA

A wipe is definitely recommended since the base are different. You may, just may, encounter random issues. Put the rom on the phone, boot into CWM, do a nandroid backup, wipe data and cache and flash all in one go :p

And yes, you'll lose all data if you do a wipe

Gave into temptation and installed DarkyNote v2 (KL7). Will test and post observations. Not sure if I like the initial impression though - battery drain seems quicker and phone gets warm on slightly heavy usage which I did not notice with the stock KL3 with Abyss Note 2.3. This rom has Abyss Note 2.5. Maybe that is the difference. Quadrant score is also the same as the stock rom which is quite wierd. Initial impressions though. Will post in detail after 3 ~ 4 days of usage

Sent from The Note using T'talk Pro

dafreaking said:

TIA

Wipe is must as you are coming from odexed rom (stock rom) and these custom roms are deodexed roms. You will end up getting a boot loop if you do not do complete wipe.

@Freaky

DarkyRom is not ready for prime time yet. I tested it (even the 2.1.4) and regardless the kernel I use, the battery drain is higher. They have added few GPU scripts and probably that is the reason behind it. Its not yet ready to be a primary rom.

PErformance is good but as a whole package. not on par with Rocket yet.

Shripad said:
Wipe is must as you are coming from odexed rom (stock rom) and these custom roms are deodexed roms. You will end up getting a boot loop if you do not do complete wipe.

@Freaky

DarkyRom is not ready for prime time yet. I tested it (even the 2.1.4) and regardless the kernel I use, the battery drain is higher. They have added few GPU scripts and probably that is the reason behind it. Its not yet ready to be a primary rom.

PErformance is good but as a whole package. not on par with Rocket yet.

Hmmm.. Using strictly for testing over 3 ~ 4 days. Moved on to Abyss 2.6. Let me post result. Else, Rockit it is :p

Edit: Agreed! 6% drain in deep sleep over 7 hrs!

Oiiii. Go for the Indian one. They both are the same. And I use it. I got mine for about 350 and it's a BEAUTIFUL cover. My third phone with this cover. Used it for my Infuse, S2 and now the Note.

Back