Shipping from US to India/UAE

Never ordered 2 units myself but I have heard of custom guy getting pissed and charging 40% or asking for an import licence. I'm not sure if it was with the forwarding companies or a normal courier

^ There was a thread about some guy who ordered 5 iPhones and got it through Fedex, with value total greater than 1L. In that case it was a problem, but for two Nexus 4s with combined value of 40-50k I don't think its an issue. Even I have ordered two units for my friend and it reached India yesterday. Will call Fedex and check how much is the duty.

And with PPO Box, its never an issue.

Just got overcharged crazily for a phone through SnS. Usually it used to be 10 - 20% more, this time the valuation was more than double the declared (and actual paid) value. Guess I should try PPO Box. I am just concerned about their volumetric pricing. Do they have a repacking and / or bundling service?

@mjumrani, mine was an iPhone too - my first iPhone import actually and it is terribly depressing to pay so much more. Thankfully it is 2% customs.

Last edited by a moderator:
@mjumrani, mine was an iPhone too - my first iPhone import actually and it is terribly depressing to pay so much more. Thankfully it is 2% customs.

I have orders around 10 iPhones from US using SNS. Never had this issue. Half the time I'm never charged custom duty.
So it's a very different experience between people. Can't say that's a good thing

With SnS, I haven't ever received a package custom free, and I have got lots of them till date. I don't mind paying the customs as long as it is the correct amount. Marginal differences are understandable, but this is the first time I have been charged 2.2 times. Already they overcharged me for another shipment because it was 4 grams (yes 4 grams) above the 500 gram weight. They aren't even ready to a weight re-evaluation.

^ There was a thread about some guy who ordered 5 iPhones and got it through Fedex, with value total greater than 1L. In that case it was a problem, but for two Nexus 4s with combined value of 40-50k I don't think its an issue. Even I have ordered two units for my friend and it reached India yesterday. Will call Fedex and check how much is the duty.

And with PPO Box, its never an issue.

He got it cleared as a personal Package . It had around more than 10 shipments in Total and duty was charged on actual basis (2%)

Just got overcharged crazily for a phone through SnS. Usually it used to be 10 - 20% more, this time the valuation was more than double the declared (and actual paid) value. Guess I should try PPO Box. I am just concerned about their volumetric pricing. Do they have a repacking and / or bundling service?

They are somewhat lenient on the weight, recently I got a package with a volumetric weight of around 700gm and actual weight 200gm. They charged me only for 1 lb. There was another instance where the weight was around 590 gm and they charged only for 1lb.

They offer repacking / consolidation only for their Professional service but for that you need to guarantee at least 20 packages a month. The rates are a bit less too, 8 USD for the first lb and 5 USD for each additional lb. You can however share it with any number of people I believe as they said you can get it delivered to any address as its not tied to any particular address.

Another plus point of PPO Box, is they offer a NJ address too so you can buy items tax free from Amazon and few other sites.

- - - Updated - - -

I have orders around 10 iPhones from US using SNS. Never had this issue. Half the time I'm never charged custom duty.
So it's a very different experience between people. Can't say that's a good thing

Same case as @agantuk, never received a duty free package and the last couple of times I did try SnS, I got overcharged with customs and delivery delays etc. Haven't used SnS for over a year.

$24 as tax fro NJ? Then isn't HopShoGo the same as their Shipping is 20 but the address is tax free?

- - - Updated - - -

Ask them, they will give the NJ address. I had posted it in the Nexus 4 thread too.
Tax in NJ is lesser than in NY, comes to about 7% and no tax when ordering from Amazon.

Can you tell me the weight of the package for a N4?

It will be around 23k if you get it through PPO Box or HopShopGo even after considering the tax for PPO.

QtyCostShippingAfter TaxTotalIn INRShipping + CustomsFinal Price
PPO Box134913.99373.9535387.943521977120023177.00
HopShopGo134913.99349362.9920563.38225622819.38

Shipping weight will be 1 lb. In case of HopShopGo, they may open the package during clearance, and the duty amount can't be guaranteed, it depends on the mood of the customs officer! :p

In case of PPO Box, you will get a sealed pack for sure.

Thanks for that table. Pretty much sums up my doubts.

I have already written a mail to PPOBox asking for a NJ address. So waiting for it now.

I would like to know which proxy did you use to access and pay for in the US google play store?

Back