Laptops Suggest a Netbook

apollyon

ex-Mod
I've gone through Techies thread but still need some more recco's :)
Don't want to buy off ebay so inquired locally and was quoted the following prices
14.5k for Acer Aspire One 250 AOD, 16.25k for Asus 1005HA, 17.5k for HP Mini 1104VU, 16.5k for Lenovo S10 and 14k for the sammy n128
i want a Asus notebook preferably but the 1001HA is not available locally yet.
BTW whats the difference between the 1001HA and the 1005HA?

TIA

Acer Aspire One 250 AOD seems to be a good deal @ 14.5K if it is with 6-cell battery.

The main difference between 1005HA and 1001HA is that 1005HA has a sea-shell shape (as claimed by Asus), which is thinner in front and thicker at the back. I suppose dimensions will be smaller for 1005HA, and it comes with Atom N280 Vs. N270 of 1001HA. Also the 1001HA has a textured finish while 1005HA has glossy finish.

dennis_nail said:
The main difference between 1005HA and 1001HA is that 1005HA has a sea-shell shape (as claimed by Asus), which is thinner in front and thicker at the back. I suppose dimensions will be smaller for 1005HA, and it comes with Atom N280 Vs. N270 of 1001HA. Also the 1001HA has a textured finish while 1005HA has glossy finish.

Actually, 1001HA is also a seashell model. The only difference i can find are the finish (textured in 1001 vs Glossy in 1005) and the omission of Bluetooth from the 1001HA seashell, alongwith the already mentioned CPU difference (N270 vs N280). Also the 1001 HA has a multi-touch support on the the touch pad, which can be used for zooming etc by using the PINCH action.

ok looks like asus notebooks are out cuz replacing the hdd is a pita.
will inquire about the acer whether its a 6 cell.
also please note my budget is ~ 17k :p

The only problem with Acer AOD 250 is smallish keyboard. Asus and Samsung models have better keyboards. Otherwise, it is a capable netbook.

Get the pricing of Samsung N140, out of all the options, id say thats the best since you already ruled out the 1005HA

I got a Acer 150H, almost a yr back and its still awesome and serves its purpose... Acer netbooks I find good. Can you check the rates of the 751H... that has good specs :)

The Samsung N140 will set you back by 14890 + 1000 shipping (COD without shipping charges available if you pick it up at Mumbai) from veedeedirect on ebay. Got one for a friend just a couple of days back. Build quality is good. Check it out and include it in your shortlist.

Samsung N140. Heck why the N140, just get the N128 and save up for some other purchases! :p

Is there a particular reason you chose Asus over the rest?

thanks for the replies guys :)
@gannu, naa asus ruled out not cuz of the hdd issue. (apparently changing a hdd is quite tedious)
will inquire about the samsung n140 tomorrow
@stalker, thanks for the offer :) but i prefer getting something like a netbook locally for warranty purposes :p

after googling a bit i found that changing the hdd of the n140 is just as difficult as the asus, so i think it will be acer after all.
aside of the cramped keyboard (which i can live with) is there any other disadvantage to this netbook?

apollyon said:
I've gone through Techies thread but still need some more recco's :)
Don't want to buy off ebay so inquired locally and was quoted the following prices
14.5k for Acer Aspire One 250 AOD, 16.25k for Asus 1005HA, 17.5k for HP Mini 1104VU, 16.5k for Lenovo S10 and 14k for the sammy n128
i want a Asus notebook preferably but the 1001HA is not available locally yet.
BTW whats the difference between the 1001HA and the 1005HA?

TIA

http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/asus-eee-pc-1001ha-only-15-a-156057.html

The Asus 1001HA is available for 15250 from SMC :D

Appo saar, please tell me you did go thru my review, at least once! :gap:

Seems like the N128 does fit every requirement of yours except the hard drive accessibility part. The Acer (Aspire ?) netbook has a glossy screen and feels too much plasticky - well that's just my take. Maybe you should drop in at Chroma to see it in person and buy it cheaper from another outlet. :p

Btw why do you need to swap hard drives too often?

There is a lot of sense in Gannu's post. Nothing like seeing the options in person, and then pick up the best one that suits your purpose. I personally would prefer a non-glossy screen, but others may prefer glossy screens.

Umm.. IMO swapping HDD's is something one wont be doing so often in a netbook. So buy something that you like working with. With Acer's the Home and End keys are half keys (Need to press the Fn key) I just cant adjust to something like that. Check the functionality part and if you wanna swap the HDD get it done once for all from a laptop repair guy. Trust me you want ease of use with a netbook not HDD swapping ease :bleh:
BTW if you swap HDD's u'll lose warranty anyways... why not buy from ebay then ? :)

yeah re gunman, read your review thoroughly.
i know about the glossy screen disadvantages but reviews of the acer say that the glossy screen on it is quite good?
and i dont need to swap hdds too often just need to change once to a 500gb. but a short review of the n140 which i read says that unlike the n128 the hdd is not swappable

Back