Laptops Suggest a Netbook

djmykey said:
BTW if you swap HDD's u'll lose warranty anyways... why not buy from ebay then ? :)
why would i lose warranty if i swap the hdd? :S the guide to change hdds is given on acers website itself with acer specifically saying that hdd and ram are user upgradeable parts

apollyon said:
yeah re gunman, read your review thoroughly.

i know about the glossy screen disadvantages but reviews of the acer say that the glossy screen on it is quite good?

and i dont need to swap hdds too often just need to change once to a 500gb. but a short review of the n140 which i read says that unlike the n128 the hdd is not swappable

I'm not sure about the N140 but I managed to change mine to 500GB. Yesterday. :p

At least I felt the Acer Aspire a bit plasticky with screen sides kinda bending with a feeble touch.

So let me guess - is this your next download machine? :p

Upgrading HDDS and RAM does not void the warranty in most cases. Almost all rather. The rest of it may have the 'warranty void if tampered seal' on them.

Well after seeing quite a few netbooks and using one myself, my suggestion to you would be to buy an ASUS netbook. Because the ASUS netbooks have far superior build quality compared to the rest available in the market. Samsung & Acer have lousy build quality, this is what i feel. I own an Samsung NC-10 btw. SMC has come up with a good deal, and shoving the broadcom card into the ASUS which has an extra mini pci slot would mean using it for watching hi-def videos as well. But one thing you cannot beat about samsung is the home pick up and drop service that they are offering for all of their netbooks and notebooks.

Well Appo Saar.. since it was turning into a chat :ashamed: I refrained from replying... :bleh: Anyway.. my point was that although Acer says that the HDD is a customer serviceable part but they might also add that the warranty wont void only if you use Acer spare parts. Now am pretty sure that wont be the case. But if all is legit then buy something that will give you the least hassle and yenjooy :eek:hyeah:

A snipping from the Acer site..
This warranty shall be rendered null & void if:

1. The product is physically damaged
2. The product is modified, maintained or repaired by a party not authorized by Acer India.
3. The product is installed, maintained and operated in ways other than as recommended by Acer India.
4. The product is faulty or damaged due to electrical faults external to the PC
5. The model number, serial number or warranty stickers have been removed or tampered with.
6. A non Acer India certified product is added on to the Acer India product.

Check point #6.. :(

apollyon said:
why would i lose warranty if i swap the hdd? :S the guide to change hdds is given on acers website itself with acer specifically saying that hdd and ram are user upgradeable parts

i Suggest you should go for the "New Just Launched" Samsung N138 or N140 with 06 Cell, N280, 2GB and 250 GB HD with non glossy screen.. wil cost u around same ..

bought the acer today, swapped the hdd and ram :)
config was n270, 1gig, 160gb, 10.1", 6 cell for 14.25k
@gannu, na not a download pc. this is more like a secondary notebook. my current hp lappy is a 15" behemoth and i hate lugging it around :mad:

apollyon said:
bought the acer today, swapped the hdd and ram :)
config was n270, 1gig, 160gb, 10.1", 6 cell for 14.25k
@gannu, na not a download pc. this is more like a secondary notebook. my current hp lappy is a 15" behemoth and i hate lugging it around :mad:

Ha ha congrats! :D

Get the drivers I told you about here - Acer Support - Download Drivers :)

Can I see it.. I also wanna upgrade my Aspire 1's HDD; now that the warranty is over... any tips would be helpful :D Is it a D250 ?

Yeah battery life does get affected, because the netbooks are optimized for the windows xp power settings. But there is not much of a decrease in battery life, you can pretty much live with it. I have personally not turned back to XP after using Win7.

I have stuck to Windows XP Home since its good, does all of the required tasks and boots pretty fast. Windows 7 dumped when I installed IDM so I trashed it :bleh:

I'd anyday opt for Win 7 for the features, ease and simplicity of use over the battery life. In any case, your laptop is going to be plugged to the socket all the time when you intend to do the tasks you'd be doing. :bleh:

ASUS N10JC is availabe for 18.5 K at Vijay Sales.

And here is the best part - integrated nVIDIA 9300m graphics! much bette rthan the GMA 950 on other netbooks!

Go Figure!

^What's your point? Did you even bother reading the posts above yours' before posting? The OP's settled for an Acer Aspire already.

I was looking at the N128 that many have picked up for 13.5K all incl. iirc- for a friend(female). :no:

needs- surfing, IMing, FB, Orkut, mails, ... and music. :(

So do i need stereo speakers too and what is the cheapest one out there with okish/decent speakers. :ashamed:

Or is the N128 mono speaker ok for music? :ashamed:

Mono speakers just sound ok'ish and not loud. But if she's comfortable wearing IEMs/earphones this shouldn't be a problem. :)

^^yup, i dunno why people care so much about laptop speakers :S who uses them anyways? almost everyone uses iems or headphones. also why does the fact that a netbook cannot play HD content matter? who would want to see HD on such a small screen anyways

HD content.. forget abt it. I don't even browse the net on my netbook... its being used for dling only.. since that's what it does the best :) Consumes very less power and does the work of dling efficiently

How's the lenovo S-10 2 netbook. Getting it for 14k thru a friend. How's the keyboard and can the ram be replaced without opening up the netbook.

Back