Tailor Made Suits in Delhi. Which are the good ones?

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
rite said:
I would like to know which good tailors can make good quality men suits within a budget of Rs.20-30k.
For what occasion does one need a suit that cost this much ?

Is there that much of a difference between a suit that cost 12K & 25K ?

and more importantly could those you seek to impress do so.

whatsinaname

Skilled
Apr 18, 2007
blr_p said:
For what occasion does one need a suit that cost this much ?

Is there that much of a difference between a suit that cost 12K & 25K ?

and more importantly could those you seek to impress do so.

I usually eschew branded clothes and expensive trousers/shirts, etc. because, after a particular price range, they are not worth it.

In the case of getting a suit tailor made, going from a 10-15k budget to a 25k-30k budget directly reflects in the material of the suit. Wool with high thread count feels amazing.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Where you live wool makes sense but what about in India ?

Aren't we limited to linens here.

I can think of maybe less than a month in the year where it would be bearable to wear such a wool suit. Different story in the north i suppose.

BUt you did not answer the main question i had, can anybody tell the difference visually. Maybe its more shiny but what about the style of cut etc does it look better.

dhruvrock2000

ex-Mod
May 4, 2009
New Delhi
Feels great.. have to side with Rite on this one. You get what you pay for. Looks and feels perfect. The cloth and tailoring all come together and make you look n feel great.

Frick... i sounded like a PR agent for a suit stitching company #Facepalm

whatsinaname

Skilled
Apr 18, 2007
blr_p said:
Where you live wool makes sense but what about in India ?

Aren't we limited to linens here.

I can think of maybe less than a month in the year where it would be bearable to wear such a wool suit. Different story in the north i suppose.

BUt you did not answer the main question i had, can anybody tell the difference visually. Maybe its more shiny but what about the style of cut etc does it look better.

Actually, no. Linen suits are never for formal/business occasions.

Wool suits are more wearable than suits of any other material, even in India. They are very breathable and easier to wear than material with polyester in it. Even I, someone who doesn't wear a suit everyday, can tell the difference between suit materials. (Maybe not the difference between $1000 suits and $5000 suits, but definitely between non-wool/worsted wool/fine wool). And people who wear suits to work everyday, middle management/upper management can definitely tell.

The cut and style and fit is completely dependent on the tailor. A more expensive tailor will do a better job. (Though I should add... Good fit + mediocre material will always look better than good material and mediocre tailoring).

rite

Skilled
Apr 27, 2007
As for me, I wouldn't buy regular brands available in India. I would either go for tailor made bespoke or decent brands like Tommy/CK for around 12-20k through SYW from Macy's, or similar price for brands like JCrew and stuff. Boss will cost upwards of 25-30k through yoox.com.

Armani and other top brands easily start around 35-60k or even more, if you import through SYW. Indian price will probably be 1.5-2 times of that.

whatsinaname

Skilled
Apr 18, 2007
stalker said:
@whatsinaname, so which brands would you suggest in India?
In India, the best option is buying material + giving it to a tailor. For a first time buyer, I would suggest Raymonds for the material. For the tailor, ask around among friends and family or the Raymonds showroom will have an in house or contracted tailor.

rite

Skilled
Apr 27, 2007
I went to Vaish at Rivoli today. I ordered an Italian made wool based suit, two button, trouser and suit coat. Italian Super 140.

Jet black.

It cost 31500.

The shirt was baby pink, again Italian, 3800.

Will need to next Monday for my first trial!

Gauge

Adept
May 14, 2011
yeah do post a pic when you get it done, how much time do they usually take to get a piece done?

i might get one too at my sister's wedding but even 7-8k on a suit is much more than too much for me. So i'll have to settle with normal brands i believe.

rite

Skilled
Apr 27, 2007
Vaish's range starts at 12k but most of their stuff is well above 20-25k.

For 8-10k you will need to try Raymonds or Reid and Tailor etc.

These guys claim to take 3 weeks for a suit.

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
rite said:
I went to Vaish at Rivoli today. I ordered an Italian made wool based suit, two button, trouser and suit coat. Italian Super 140.

Jet black.

It cost 31500.

Wow. Am absolutely dying to see you in this wonderful suit. :) Please do post pictures.

sid_donnydarko

Disciple
Dec 1, 2006
rite said:

Jet black.

It cost 31500.

Baby Pink? You should've chosen lavender instead...

The reason being the tie. Only executive tie's suit a baby pink shirt. Everything else screams GAY! That's why you'll only find masculine male models with a fair complexion wear an outfit such as yours. They can pull it off without raising an eyebrow. If this is the first time you are trying on a suit (or) If this is the first time you'll appear at a party or an event amongst people whom you know, then your outfit will give everyone the impression that you're screaming for attention. Take my advice VERY seriously.

rite

Skilled
Apr 27, 2007
The next suit will probably be a few months down the line, my second suit.

Should I go for Boggi Milano (Made in Italy, really, and doesn't cost more than 25-30k for a two piece). They have sizes up till 48 and I guess 46-48 should fit me just right.

Or should I go with Vaish at Rivoli once again, around the 25-30k budget with 100% Italian wool.

My first suit will probably take a few more weeks to come out. But a Made in Italy suit for just like 20-25k sounds too tempting. And I do have a few trousers from Boggi and they are pretty much perfect for the price. Although they cost like 5-6k each, but they are too good. I doubt there would be much competition to them unless you want to spend like 10-15k on a pair of trousers.

What say?

Boggi Made in Italy OR Vaish in Rivoli Bespoke with Italian wool???