The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes yes, i will not do anything to this phone (poor thing will lie in its box for a month before it is put to use :p) unless i have gathered all the information required to safely go ahead with jail-breaking and unlocking.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I will want to cut the SIM to Micro SIM and i am so so reluctant to do that. I am planning to get the Micro SIM cutter which i guess costs like 5$ or so on ebay at least. Any other place to buy the cutter ? And is it completely safe ? Because if i screw the SIM, especially my Indian SIM, i am gone as i will have a hard time getting another SIM from India.

Sim cutters are totally safe i did cut my vodafone sim the same way. Few tips before you cut the sim.

1) Write down the numbers on the sim in a safe place they will be usefull incase u need the PUK code

2) After inserting the regular sim in to the cutter make sure the chip is not in the way of the cutter ( i mean insert the sim properly)

For iOS 4 there was a tweak called recovery gaurd in cydia.pushfix.info repo to fool itunes that the OS in ur phone is the latest. I am not sure if this tweak works in iOS5

mjumrani said:
Why not just go to the service provider and get a new micro-sim for peace of mind?

It won't sound good if he comes back to India From US just for getting a Micro Sim , also he will end up paying atleast 1,00,000 RS (flights are getting Expensive ) for the Micro sim , I prefer the 5$ way

I have a BSNL 3G SIM to try on first and then only will try on the Tmobile SIM. In worst case, if the Tmobile SIM goes bust, i can always go and ask for another SIM from them.

It is just that before using the Tmobile SIM, i wanted to use some other Indian SIM which works on Tmobile here (like i have airtel and vodafone).

Let me go ahead and order the SIM cutter from ebay. Will come here after 20 days since it will ship from HK.

^^Thanks for the links. I ordered before checking this thread. Any ways i got it for 4.58$ from ebay.com But yes it will take time to arrive as usual.

Metalspree said:
You will get it in 1 week.

Not really. Have ordered other things like car charger, GPS mount from ebay HK sellers and take at least 15 days to arrive.

I created apple id and when i tried to install an app from the app store on the iPhone, it asked me to verify and all, which i did.

Then it told me to REVIEW the information and also insisted on me filling the credit card details and it told that i will be charged only if i download any paid apps. Do i have to give the credit card details here ? Is there no way to bypass this ?

There is a way to create an account for the appstore without providing your credit-card details and it is supported by Apple. I remember there was a Support article on this on Apple's website (I created an account for a relative few weeks back)!

Few of queries related to Redsn0w and jailbreaking in general

1. The below link from iclarified lists all the versions of Redsn0w, what is the difference between these and what is it that a version X might have as against X-1, or should i just pickup the latest version and get along with jailbreaking ?

iClarified - iPhone - Where to Download RedSn0w From

2. In the redsn0w tutorial, it involves connecting the phone to pc and such things. Is it necessary for me to install iTunes in my PC before i do the jailbreaking ? Please be informed that my iPhone already has iOS 5 and hence i will be not be installing the (custom ??) firmware, just doing the jailbreak.

3. What am i supposed to expect if i connect my phone to laptop without iTunes installed in my laptop ??

Bump for my above query :)

One more query...

The installation files for apps on iPhone are supposed to be .IPA files right ??

I was just browsing through apps (at non app store sources) and found them to be .IPA but for things like sygic navigation etc, i found setup files of like 1.5GB.

In iPhone, will just installing this 1.5GB file, install sygic and all its maps etc (assuming that ipa is of say USA) ? Like in Android we make folders for maps / voices etc and then manually put the maps there, nothing such to do in iPhone ??

My iPhone 4 has been having severe network issues since the past few months.

If I can be more precise, maybe since iOS4.2 or 4.3.

It's around that time when I also started Vodafone Mobile Connect on the iPhone.

It was fine initially but since I enabled 3G, it's been acting up.

It keeps searching / shows No Service constantly.

Disabled 3G / Edge. Still no good.

Changed Sim twice.

Reset the phone. Full restore. Upgraded to iOS 5. Still no good.

All issues persist.

Got a new IDEA sim today. Same issues.

All these sims run fine with full network on regular nokia phones like 1110.

Spoke to an informed technician who also mods xbox'x / ps3's and other high end stuff.

He asked me to try an Airtel sim saying that it works on a different frequency / band.

He said that if the iPhone worked fine with the Airtel sim, then the IC in my phone which works with the other bands has gone bad.

If the Airtel sim also does'nt work properly, then the main baseband IC has gone bad and it's quite complex to fix.

Any technician around here, who can help me ?

Metalspree said:
Is it factory unlocked phone? If it has local warranty then RMA it.

Factory unlocked. Singapore purchase. No local warranty and more than a year old.

But is there an Apple Service center in Mumbai where I can get it checked ?

^ If it s a Singapore purchase , Apple India won't touch the phone . I tried it for my home button issue . Best way is to get it replaced from Singapore if in warranty or pay and repair it locally .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back