CPU/Mobo vista and cpuz show only 2 cores for q6600 : ( ??

Just FYI in case the proccy is not bad etc.. you guys might want to try these steps.

1. Start > Run > Msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced options > check the no. of processors (change if wrongly shown).

2. Possibility of corrupt HAL or a hungover HAL. (HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer)

Untitled.jpg

Steps to correct HAL issues in Windows Vista :

Start > Run > Msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced options > check Detect HAL option and reboot the system > check in device manager if the other 2 cores have been detected. Once detected, uncheck the Detect HAL option.

You can also check in Device manager if the Computer is showing Uniprocessor or Multiprocessor or ACPI x64...
I ve been through a similar situation when i had bought my Q9450 after running E8400 on the same motherboard. The HAL did not update itself to detect 2 more cores, hence it was only showing 2 cores instead of 4 cores in all the possible places.

We need to manually force the HAL to detect the 2 cores by checking Detect HAL at startup/reboot.

Suprisingly, even a fresh reinstall of Windows will not rectify this problem. It needs to be done manually.

I know the OP had a bad proccy, but this is for other people who face similar issue and that they could try this as a last resort before getting the processor replaced :)

Hope this helps !

|Anish| said:
Just FYI in case the proccy is not bad etc.. you guys might want to try these steps.

1. Start > Run > Msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced options > check the no. of processors (change if wrongly shown).

2. Possibility of corrupt HAL or a hungover HAL. (HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer)

Untitled.jpg

Steps to correct HAL issues in Windows Vista :

Start > Run > Msconfig > Boot tab > Advanced options > check Detect HAL option and reboot the system > check in device manager if the other 2 cores have been detected. Once detected, uncheck the Detect HAL option.

You can also check in Device manager if the Computer is showing Uniprocessor or Multiprocessor or ACPI x64...
I ve been through a similar situation when i had bought my Q9450 after running E8400 on the same motherboard. The HAL did not update itself to detect 2 more cores, hence it was only showing 2 cores instead of 4 cores in all the possible places.

We need to manually force the HAL to detect the 2 cores by checking Detect HAL at startup/reboot.

Suprisingly, even a fresh reinstall of Windows will not rectify this problem. It needs to be done manually.

I know the OP had a bad proccy, but this is for other people who face similar issue and that they could try this as a last resort before getting the processor replaced :)

Hope this helps !

thanks...good info:hap2:

stellarhopper said:
well no offence friend...:cool2:
but your tone/choice-of-words clearly shows you havent read the rest of the posts/date...:bleh:

im not against sharing info, but you colud have acknowledged the fact that you did not read the posts, instead of posting a prudish reply!:no:

happy gaming!
i hope my reply will help others too...so i posted that one...i ve read all those old posts before yaar .....i didnt find any info about power options....so i posted it....wat to do??? huh :S

happy gaming..:eek:hyeah:

Back