Watch Dogs - Discussion Thread

dovakhiin

Adept
Jan 17, 2012
Bangalore
Ubi has released a new patch for PC users. Game is better now, a lot lesser stuttering and more stable. Also there's a mod which unlocks hidden visual effects which Ubi had disabled on PC. No idea why they did this but some people claim they were paid off to make the console versions look better.

Game is looking really good after applying the mod. Some screenshots from today-

Watch_Dogs2014-6-21-11-4-48.jpg Watch_Dogs2014-6-21-11-37-14.jpg Watch_Dogs2014-6-21-11-46-17.jpg Watch_Dogs2014-6-21-12-37-48.jpg Watch_Dogs2014-6-21-13-0-30.jpg Watch_Dogs2014-6-21-13-13-27.jpg

Link to mod - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

This is what Ubi had to say regarding the accusations that they are downgrading quality on PC.

Watch Dogs PC Update
The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we’ve set out to achieve. We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they’re released, striving for the best possible quality. The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game’s visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.

Thanks for playing Watch Dogs and stay safe on the mean streets of Chicago.

-The Watch Dogs Team

Last edited:

dovakhiin

Adept
Jan 17, 2012
Bangalore
Hmm.. I would say for me, yes.

Gameplay wise there is a lot to do just like in AC or FarCry. I had a couple of online matches where you had to hack another player and he has to catch you before you complete the hack. It was a lot of fun, kind of like hide and seek.

Now that they've fixed the performance I feel it's worth it, but I had to spend some time tweaking it so be prepared for that. Also after patching it with the mod it finally feels next-gen(ish). Also I had to switch to gamepad instead of keyboard/mouse even though I generally prefer the latter for shooting games. Mouse control is not that smooth. Ubi has clearly done a sloppy job on the PC port, that is the only reason I wouldn't recommend.

jc36lect3r

Skilled
Sep 5, 2009
Also I had to switch to gamepad instead of keyboard/mouse even though I generally prefer the latter for shooting games. Mouse control is not that smooth.

Thanks, looks like I will wait a bit more. I absolutely suck at shooting with the gamepad, even with aim assist and what-not.

krugur

Gaming Freak
Skilled
Apr 27, 2010
Bangalore
I had a spin on this the weekend. As dovakhiin mentioned mouse controls are not at all smooth. The gameplay is not that great, i feels missing something (a soul maybe).
The open world is good. But the hacking feels a bit too easy ... i am there is no fun in hacking something.
It feels more like GTA with some environmental destruction. Which should be good, but something was amiss. I just cant put my finger on it.
Maybe coz i was only focusing on the story mode and there is just too many cutscenes or like which ruin the flow.
Anyways after 3 hours in i uninstalled and moved on.

P.s. Disclaimer : i am the guy who got bored with FC3.

dovakhiin

Adept
Jan 17, 2012
Bangalore
P.s. Disclaimer : i am the guy who got bored with FC3.

Well that explains why you uninstalled :)

Some people say Watch Dogs is like GTA with hacking, but it's more FarCry/AC in a city with hacking. IMHO, Ubi's open worlds don't come anywhere near Elder Scrolls or GTA.

The world is too generic and modular. They have a small variation of missions organized neatly in different regions. They try a few things to disguise this but you can see right through it most of the time. Too many repeating patterns. I wish they would work on fixing this and make a proper open world where things are more unpredicable.

Still the story mode is good and the game is pretty fun, like Ubi's other franchises I enjoy this as well :)

Aug 11, 2009
Austin,TX
Well, i got this game for free with my EVGA GTX 780 6GB version. This game runs smooth, however i kind of did not like this game as much as GTA.

Infact played it for a few hours and i never went back to it. No hard feeling as i got it for free :).

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
When I started this game a few days back the entire hacking and skill upgrade screen was overwhelming to be honest. But with a good few days of playing this game I must say I really am enjoying this. The entire hacking from camera to camera, planning to take down enemies and patrolling guards without even being in harm's way is really very gratifying when done perfectly.

I'm in midway into Act 2 and now doing a lot of the side missions. I owe a thanks to @Ethan_Hunt because when I was actually contemplating to leave the game because it seemed to involve way too many things for my liking, he told me to invest more time into this massive world the game depicts and with all seriousness it's been time well spent. Loving the game.

MrGhost

Adept
Dec 24, 2009
Gurgaon
Ubi has released a new patch for PC users. Game is better now, a lot lesser stuttering and more stable. Also there's a mod which unlocks hidden visual effects which Ubi had disabled on PC. No idea why they did this but some people claim they were paid off to make the console versions look better.

Game is looking really good after applying the mod. Some screenshots from today-

View attachment 41966 View attachment 41967 View attachment 41968 View attachment 41969 View attachment 41970 View attachment 41971

Link to mod - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

This is what Ubi had to say regarding the accusations that they are downgrading quality on PC.

That's explains a lot cause saw winds + fog etc. effects in that E3 2012 video and experience was different while playing

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Just completed the Bad Blood DLC. Quite good I'd say, nothing huge on the story front, but the missions were quite interesting. I somehow feel the difficulty is some of the side missions to be tad higher. Had enough of them in Aiden's storyline, so didn't complete much in T-Bone's. It offered a decent content in the short 3 ACT's but for completionists, the side missions would keep you busy for quite sometime.