Linux Wubi installation woes

so now that you have uninstalled, see if any leftover folders like "C:\ubuntu" delete the whole thing

then reinstall ubuntu with the newly downloaded wubi and try to boot into linux...

report the exact error you get and also tell what folders are available under C:\ubuntu and again post the menu.lst...

im not sure here, but i think no need to move it (unless you put it inside the ubuntu folder itself which we should delete) then move it to some place like C:\downloads or C:\wubi :)

Alright, moved to C:/wubi and ran the new Wubi installer. Got the reboot option.

Rebooted the system and i had to wait for a couple of minutes before i finally saw the same error :(

==============================
Garbled Text
==============================
Error 15 : File not found

Press any key to continue..._

And when i actually press any key, it takes me back to the same thing, as in the screenshot in the OP.

ok now, is there a C:\ubuntu created? what are the other folders inside this? post the menu.lst again :)

btw, are you installing to C: only? do you have multiple disks and partitions? if you have other disks/partitions make sure there are no left-over ubuntu folders/files from older wubi attempts (delete them if so)...

No, there are no leftovers in other drives, checked as well.

Now this is what i see..

C.jpg

c2.jpg

and the 2 menu.lst file locations as well below :)

C3.jpg

C4.jpg

Which one do you need ?

can you post both menu.lst files (rename one to menu.lst.winboot.txt from the winboot folder and the other rename menu.lst.install.txt from the install folder)... i hope we are close to a solution now...

checking the files.. in the mean time can you post if there is yet another menu.lst in ubuntu/disks/boot/grub folders?

OK...

1. If you had renamed the menu.lst files in the local disk then rename them both back to just menu.lst in the ubuntu/winboot and ubuntu/install/boot/grub folders.

2. Make a backup copy of menu.lst named menu.lst.original or something for each of them in their own folders.

3. Edit the menu.lst in ubuntu/winboot and make the following edit in bold in the correct location (section where there is "fallback 2"):

Code:
title find /ubuntu/install/boot/grub/menu.lst

fallback 2

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /ubuntu/install/boot/grub/menu.lst

[b]root (hd0,0)[/b]

configfile /ubuntu/install/boot/grub/menu.lst

4. Also edit the other menu.lst in the ubuntu/install/boot/grub location with the following bold addition in the correct area:

Code:
title Normal mode

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /ubuntu/install/boot/vmlinuz

[b]root (hd0,0)[/b]

kernel /ubuntu/install/boot/vmlinuz debian-installer/custom-installation=/ubuntu/install/custom-installation iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu/install/installation.iso automatic-ubiquity noprompt quiet splash  boot=casper ro debian-installer/locale=en_US.UTF-8 console-setup/layoutcode=us console-setup/variantcode= -- 

initrd /ubuntu/install/boot/initrd.gz

boot

Then try booting again... if this doesnt work then I think I am lost as to what to try next... :( Might as well either install Ubuntu in VirtualBox in Vista or repartition to install it directly...

Vishal, thanks for all the help :) I will make the changes above and report back.

If it still does not work, I dont mind giving repartioning a chance.

I hope thats a simple task :p

ok, if that last attempt for wubi does not work then post following 3 bits of info:

1. How many hard disks are connected to your PC?

2. How many partitions in each of them (mention them each)?

3. What are the drive letters in Windows for each partition?

Then we can do the following steps after choosing the right windows partition to work on:

1. Defragment.

2. Use Vista shrink-drive option in ControlPanel->administrator tools->disk management. to get at least about 10 gb of unpartitioned free space in which to install :)

btw, i just booted into win7 and installed kubuntu 9.04 amd64 with wubi rev134 on my C: too (i also have a D: second partition on my only disk along with existing linux partitions) and it worked with no hitches :)

hey i am back. First let me try to edit the menu.lst files and see if that works.

If not then we move ourselves to repartioning ;)

Update : Vishal, the editing of menu.lst files with root (hd0,0) did not work. :(
My windows explorer looks like this :

1. 2 Internal & 1 External USB. (160 GB Hitachi, 500GB Seagate (S.M.A.R.T error : bad) and 320GB external)

2. 4 partitions for each internal hard drives and 3 for the External. (4x3 hdds)

3. Screenshot would be easier than explaining. :p

My%20computer.jpg

Now, the 500GB drive is currently the primary hard drive. I have installed Windows 7 on the 160GB drive, hence it would be better if we can use any one of the empty partitions of the Seagate 500GB viz. G: or H: drives.

Will make it even more simpler :

C,E,G,H > Seagate 500GB (internal)
D,F,I,J > Hitachi 160GB (Internal)
L,M,N > Simpletech 320GB (External)

BOOM! hahahaha, no wonder poor wubi is suffering... even my head is spinning look at all those drives :eek:hyeah:

OK, one last try before either installing in virtualbox or repartitioning:

That line which I asked to add "root (hd0,0)" the first zero means first drive and second zero means first partition on that drive...

Now we can try to set those numbers to try to get the right partition in wubi...

Can you go into the bios and try to figure out which location your C: hard disk is (primary master, primary slave, secondary master etc).... if not sure and if we know C: is the first partition on that disk then we can try "root (hdX,0)" where X goes from 1, 2, 3 and so on till it boots :)

I read on forums to try booting into Live CD then downloading a bootinfo script and running it and posting the output here... download and run this script from a live CD booted session console: Download Boot Info Script from SourceForge.net

Since you have empty partitions G and H you can just delete them (or shrink them to get about 12gb unpartitioned space) in Windows then boot the live CD and start the installation, then select manual partitioning and use that to create about 2 gb swap and about 10 gb for "ext4" filesystem mounted to root/slash " / " location...

the Seagate drive which is currently the C: drive is the Secondary Master as shown on the S.M.A.R.T error.

Since you have empty partitions G and H you can just delete them (or shrink them to get about 12gb unpartitioned space) in Windows then boot the live CD and start the installation, then select manual partitioning and use that to create about 2 gb swap and about 10 gb for "ext4" filesystem mounted to root/slash " / " location...

:ashamed: This went on top of my head :p

Back