Linux Wubi installation woes

Secondary master? OK that is definitely not "root (hd0,0)" I will need to search online since Im not sure what the first number should be...

Try "root (hd2,0)" (for both menu.lst files) and report back... in the mean time I will do some googling :)

Anish...could u tell me the steps u took to install via wubi and also the time take for the installation to complete.

Before i commit to the changes, guide me 1 last time :p

Is this correct ?

mini-DSC00463.JPG

mini-DSC00464.JPG

mini-DSC00465.JPG

MTG said:
Anish...could u tell me the steps u took to install via wubi and also the time take for the installation to complete.

Unfortunately, i could not finish the installation with Wubi, hence trying to installing in a straight forward manner. :|

Wow, 15 gb for / and 100+ gb for home, going to store lots of data in your user folders eh? Swap also looks good... I hope you installed it by now?

All installed and working great, thanks to you :)

Kubuntu sure is nice!

But i am not able to view all desktop effects and neither am i able to play mp3 files with amarock2.

When i move the windows, they have some kind of graphical glitch along the borders, infact sometimes there are mutiple colour patches all over the screen :S

:ashamed:

|Anish| said:
All installed and working great, thanks to you :)

Kubuntu sure is nice!

But i am not able to view all desktop effects and neither am i able to play mp3 files with amarock2.

When i move the windows, they have some kind of graphical glitch along the borders, infact sometimes there are mutiple colour patches all over the screen :S

:ashamed:

This is my fav part:p

First, Welcome to the Club:eek:hyeah:

1) For Mp3, simply CLICK HERE. this would installed basic packages which can't be installed by default. Just one click and relax.

2) For Graphics you need to install drivers as you do in windows. check this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI if you face any error reply back with output of lspci from terminal

3) Since you coming from windows, read these two guides, it would be handy in knowing your new linux system:

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/switching/index.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

Lastly, If you get stuck. ask for help here:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php don't to forget they do have a pretty extensive step-by-step Howtos available

me and my impatience :|

I tried to install the graphic drivers from Hardware Drivers > activate drivers > rebooted system.

Now, i can only see my mouse pointer and nothing else. I can see the restart|Logoff|shutdown screen when i press Ctrl+Alt+Del a couple of times.

help! :ashamed:

heh ubuntu and ati bhai bhai....

press ctrl+alt+f2 to get a console (hopefully that works) then login and run:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`

sudo insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile/fglrx.ko

Note the ` character is not a normal quote its the one with the tilde key to the left of the 1 key :eek:hyeah: (i learnt that the hard way)...

If that doesnt work then again go to console/terminal and run:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

It will ask for some options, select the defaults except for video mode select VESA and a proper resolution for your monitor...

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI for installing manually with latest ati fglrx drivers - hopefully that should work.

I got till Ctrl+Alt+F2

and tried the first 2 commands, and it didnt work.

Tried the 3rd command which is sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

it took me to the xorg configuration screen (Blue)

I began selecting the default selection but never came to the gfx part.

The last thing i saw was keyboard configuration and then came the command prompt underneath the bluescreen.

:(

Update 1 : now when i went back to GUI after rebooting.

this is what i see :O in other words, i am uncle Scrooged (screwed)?? :rofl:

mini-DSC00473.JPG

Update 2 : My impatience is a miracle...... sometimes :p

This is what i did.

Code:
sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh  # (if it exists)
  sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
  sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon 
  sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
  sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Restarted once, and voila, my desktop is Back To Existence :lol:

Source : https://wiki.kubuntu.org/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver

But i still cant enjoy the compiz effect :(

First Check if drivers is installed correctly or not

do

Code:
glxinfo | grep endering

it should say yes if you correctly enabled the ATI driver, else you need to troubleshoot graphics driver problems.

Lastly,You are on KDE4? KDE comes with own window manager called Kwin. in simple terms its a replacement for compiz. you use should kwin instead of compiz it has similar effects

Enable it via

K Menu --> Computer --> System Settings --> Desktop --> Desktop Effects.

I hope you click on that link for installing mp3,flash etc

Dark Star said:
^^

Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering

Actually I knowingly omitted the "r" because on some systems, r is capital like "R". this way the regex will fail and it would filter out everything.

so, both rendering and endering would give same results:)

Thanks for all the input you both :p

Now first things first. This is what i get when i type glxinfo | grep rendering

Code:
unknown chip id 0x9440, can't guess.

direct rendering: Yes

2ndly, I clicked on the link that Gaurish gave me for Mp3. It then asks me to Follow and Cancel. I clicked on Follow.

This is what i got :

Code:
Protocol not supported

Api

So, not sure what to do there.

I got this command from one of the wikis..

Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

this went on for alteast a half an hour on the terminal. It downloaded approximately 430mb of god-knows-what software :S

About Kwin, i did just that, but i cant seem to view those effects, i can only view some translucent windows when clicked here and there, but nothing 3D or spectacular :p

I still cannot play mp3 on amarok :(

Back