Fraud happened please suggest

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Guys my little brother got cheated just now.

He got no idea and innocently was cheated.

He received a call from SBI Cr. card dept. 7291008775 and said some 4900 reward points are accumulated in your account and it can be encashed or used for shopping. HE asked for transfer to his a/c. And yes he did has some 4-5k points in his sbi a/c.

He asked for details and when bro gave his debit card maestro details they said its not for maestro. Then he gave icici visa card debit card details after processing they said no transactions has been made on this card since past 2 months so we need active card. Finally bro gave his axis card details and immediately instead of credit 4902 rs got debited from his a/c.

Now he called immediately to the same no. the no. is getting busy. And at same time we other people are dialing its ringing but no a$$h)## is answering the call.

Finally we rang Axis cust. care and got the card blocked and they asked to register FIR and submit the copy to nearest axis branch and get new card.
But no guarantee for the money refund.

Now we have to block icici as well but it got just 100 bucks bal. so we dont care as the card isnt used at all.

So guys is there even a 50% guarantee for money refund.

7291008775 is the no. from where he got the call.

4902 rs got debited from his a/c.
this amount must've been spent on some website. did you find out about it? usually it's eWallets like paytm, freecharge etc.

and did your brother give them the OTP as well?

you need to be quick with filing FIR and submitting the details to those websites and as they can reverse the transaction.

With the kind of awareness campaigns being run through TV Ads and SMS about these kind of fraud, there is no excuse for anybody to give out their bank details to an unknown person on phone. So, ask your brother to consider this a small fee (considering how expensive that it can usually be) that he paid for an exclusive private session teaching him an important life lesson.

Also, squash any false hopes of getting the money back. There is no obligation for the bank or which ever online service the money was spent at to reverse the transaction considering that it was all done in a legit manner. The best result that you can hope for is that the culprit is caught. That still does not mean that you will get your money back.

and did your brother give them the OTP as well?

If he did do that then I am with LN on this and think that he deserves a lesson like this.

Some days ago someone had contacted my father with something similar and I got a chance to confront her. She started shouting at me instead and even dared calling again asking me to do whatever I can do. I just blocked the number. But sometimes I wish I should have enabled automatic call recording as then one can go to cyber cell and file an official complaint.

I went to apply for FIR and they asked to submit application for fir which we did there itself. Now they said we will get a call within 7 days and will be called to the police station and then will get fir copy.

So late???? 7 days is to much.

They say every day they get atleast 3-4 cases and they cant keep issuing firs freely so they transfer our application to cyber cell first.

Go to higher authorities. They cant pick and chose when to file FIR afaik. If you're in Mumbai, you can buzz mumbai police on twitter too. Hope they get the money back, but more importantly I hope the criminal gets a good long jail time.

It's also possible that the card might have been used without the OTP on non Indian websites. You should email the higher authorities in Police by checking your local police departments website. They will have to respond to it.
But consider it a lesson learnt by paying a high cost.

A distant relative I know got scammed similarly for 40k last month. consider your brother lucky :)

But seriously, don't ever tell your card numbers to anyone on phone. Also, RBI doesn't call, they send a letter if they have something to communicate with you.

It's also possible that the card might have been used without the OTP on non Indian websites. You should email the higher authorities in Police by checking your local police departments website. They will have to respond to it.
But consider it a lesson learnt by paying a high cost.
Same thing happened with my credit card once. I called them up immediately and filled the required form and that was it. Money was credited back in the same billing cycle.
If such a thing happens to someone, I would suggest not to let the bank authorities know of your blunder. I think that will help you get a better response from the banks. I didn't have to file any FIR or run around for my money.
Also it would help to disable international spending on your debit cards as then no one can use it without OTP.

And one other thing to note: reward points in SBI (or maybe all credit cards in general) cannot be encashed. You can buy stuff, or adjust it against annual fee, but I don't think it can be encashed. Further, if at all they can be encashed, I think the credit card company will just credit it in your card account rather than transfer to your SB a/c; especially one in some other bank.

Same thing happened with my credit card once. I called them up immediately and filled the required form and that was it. Money was credited back in the same billing cycle.
If such a thing happens to someone, I would suggest not to let the bank authorities know of your blunder. I think that will help you get a better response from the banks. I didn't have to file any FIR or run around for my money.
Also it would help to disable international spending on your debit cards as then no one can use it without OTP.
That was with credit card, Things for credit card are very different u can file charge back till 90days and u will 100%get ur money back. But for DC nothing if its gone then its gone.
And one other thing to note: reward points in SBI (or maybe all credit cards in general) cannot be encashed. You can buy stuff, or adjust it against annual fee, but I don't think it can be encashed. Further, if at all they can be encashed, I think the credit card company will just credit it in your card account rather than transfer to your SB a/c; especially one in some other bank.
U can encash ur rewards points on credit card for cash with some banks.

Lot of lessons and theories here. Thanks appreciate that.

Do we need to file fir even if our debit card is lost ?[DOUBLEPOST=1456640955][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, shall we block netbanking as well but no details like login pw/un were revealed. Only the card details and the card was instantly blocked.
What you guys say??

Last edited:
I actually received a similar call just hours ago. He said he was calling on behalf of VISA/MAESTRO when I asked which bank he was calling from.
He started asking me about my card no and I told him to go and cheat someone else and cut the call.

You won't need to change netbanking details as they weren't compromised.

I too received such call last month.
I started by telling 4 digits of my debit card, which was wrong.
I told him I have six SBI debit cards issued from 3 different branches.
Talked to him for about 20mins about process of verification and so on.
When he finally got convinced that he won't be able to extract any useful info from me, he started badmouthing loudly.
I couldn't hold my laughter at that time.
Finally he disconnected with some threats.
In evening I played that call recording to all my family members and advised them about such fraud incidents.

Last edited:
One of my friends mentioned today that he and almost 12 of his colleagues received a similar call from some number. Unfortunately, one of them gave out his debit card number and CVV, and instantly got 40K wiped off from his account. He was a doc, BTW. Goes to show that even well educated people fall easy prey.

I faced the same situation, they were very smart, one day got call from a female claiming to calling from SBI, I'm currently working in night shift so was not alert and she asked me for my SBI debit card number, my card is very old and thought they were replacing it, and I gave the card number and that was all, she hung up after that, next week I get a call from the same female, she asked me me to again give her the debit card number, I remember that you are not supposed to give your number, so I tell her the last 4 digits wrong, then she tells me she is transferring my call and I need to enter some details, she was not able to do so, so she tells me that she is sending the details, I did not receive any details, so she sent again, I got a OTP sms from Amazon

VM-SBIACS
To Pay Rs. 15099.00 to AMAZON, from your Card XX...XXXX, use OTP. BEWARE!ONLY fraudsters ask OTP on phone.OTP is 504754.Don't share with anyone.

She asks me to give her the details in the SMS, I saw the OTP and understood and told her to get lost and told her I was not a fool, after a month I sometimes do get a call asking for card details and I tell them to get lost at just the mention of card number

The numbers are Priyanka +917042585912/+918051228348/+917210590437

you won't get much help from police because they know how frequently banks/CC companies etc warn their customers against sharing any details over phone/emails. but in order to get back your money and to prevent the fraudster from deceiving more people, you'll have to approach police and file a formal complaint.

police won't catch the culprits for you but they keep a track of their activities as most of them are associated with naxals and police do not want to risk their lives for such paltry sums and over the stupidity of virtual-money-generation.

however, police will take your complaint and give you a file number which you need to submit to the websites where your card was used. because it's virtual-money, they can easily reverse the charges if they are intimated of the fraud immediately.

i was able to get back all the money for two people in separate incidents within a time span of 24~48 hours. the key is to act quickly and i guess OP has lost his case.

If he did do that then I am with LN on this and think that he deserves a lesson like this.
yes, i am all for teaching a lesson to youngsters :p

Now I think for no reasons I blocked my brothers atm card as:

1) Even if she has his car dno and cvv she wont be able to transact at any malls/shops as now a day they ask us to enter ATM PIN which she doesnt have.
2) And for every online transaction we get an OTP on our cell so here as well no luck

Further you guys suggest on above thoughts.

** We gave application on Saturday and yet didnt received any call from police for verification and issue of FIR. SO dont know how loooooong have to wait.

My good friends suggested these trick:
1) As we have the physical card which is blocked, so we can approach Axis bank directly and tell that we though the card was lost so immediately blocked it. Later on we found it so no question of any police case.

But the thing is when we called their CC we clearly mentioned that fraud occurred hence blocking the card. So my point is does the CC guy put these relevant comments as a reason stating for the card block?

2) If he put such comments, then we have another story that one of our niece played a prank with us as she had all the details and we warned her and dont wish to register any police case.

What you guys say??

You don't know that your card can be used on sites abroad without OTP.
Plus what's the problem in waiting for a few days for a new card.

Back