Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

So I got a call from a lady posing to be from ICICI Bank.
I feel dumb that I gave up my CC number to that person and almost went along with his plan.
How does one come to know where the CC was used ??
Same thing had happened with me. Had posted the incident in this thread earlier. After he asked me for the OTP, I realized that it was a fraud and I shouldn't have given the CC number itself.

^^ Nothing can be done by knowing only the CC or even the expiry, for the most part. They need either the CVV/2 code. Even then in most cases, once the payment gateway re-directs to your bank (ICICI) if they have implemented password, nothing can be done. To use the card physically, they need the magnet tracks. With Chip enabled cards, its even more difficult.

^^ CC number and expiry date can be abused. Without CVV, you will not be able to make a transaction, but with last 4 digits of CC number, expiry date in conjunction with date of birth and name can be used used to authenticate yourself as a genuine customer to customer care of the bank and use it for mischief.. You can request for the card to be blocked, register for unnecessary paid services etc. Even more severe forms of abuse has been done in the past.

Also CVV2 is usually a 3 digit number, it takes under 1000 tries to crack it if you already know the full credit card number. You can use credit card number, expiry date and CVV2 to make transaction on many foreign websites.

Do not give full credit card number to anybody, genuine bank reps will only ask for last 4 digits of the CC number and date of birth for verification. Some might ask for registered address.

Also , never never provide information if the call is incoming (meaning, initiated by outsider), only if you are dialling the official customer care number for some request and they ask for verification detailos like 4 digits of CC number, date of birth, address etc (but not further details like full CC number/CVV) then it should be safe...

@djmykey i'm surprised you "almost" fell for this scam :D i would have thought at least us techie bunch of nerds will be well aware of such scam attempts :D when i was reading your post i thought you were playing with the scammers by giving random numbers...!

^^ CC number and expiry date can be abused. Without CVV, you will not be able to make a transaction, but with last 4 digits of CC number, expiry date in conjunction with date of birth and name can be used used to authenticate yourself as a genuine customer to customer care of the bank and use it for mischief.. You can request for the card to be blocked, register for unnecessary paid services etc. Even more severe forms of abuse has been done in the past.

Also CVV2 is usually a 3 digit number, it takes under 1000 tries to crack it if you already know the full credit card number. You can use credit card number, expiry date and CVV2 to make transaction on many foreign websites.

Do not give full credit card number to anybody, genuine bank reps will only ask for last 4 digits of the CC number and date of birth for verification. Some might ask for registered address.
Hence the "for the most part". If scammers were truly that sophisticated, there are many more things which can be done. There are pay merchants based out of former Soviet Bloc which can process payments even without CVV or pass false flags to pin based cards to process payments.

And no there are no "1000 tries". We are not talking an offline brute force attack which makes every CVV comically easy. All of those attempts will need to connect to a card provider or bank. No one worth their salt will allow that many failed CVV attempts.

That said, as explained by @vishalrao no one calling you should even ask you for 4 digit CC or date of birth cause they are not authorized to do that. In most cases if something is required from your end, they will tell you to call or walk in to the bank.

Same thing had happened with me. Had posted the incident in this thread earlier. After he asked me for the OTP, I realized that it was a fraud and I shouldn't have given the CC number itself.
Happened again. Again got a call from somewhere in Delhi whereby I was being offered a 20% discount card based on current CC. The MO was similar and the lady asked me to talk me to reveal my CC details. (Last time I had blurted out the details and then she asked me for the OTP which I had refused and it had ended at that). This time I wanted to see how far this goes and what other MO they can come up with.
This time I tried to be a bit reluctant about sharing my CC details and surprisingly the lady wasn't too bothered. She transferred the call to her senior who then took me to a website www.optimistmarketing.in
Well, this looked a proper functioning website where there were so called packages available for 7k, 8k etc. And this guy was trying to make me purchase one of these. I was surprised to see the extent to which these guys have gone and how elaborate the scam is.
That's when I told him how I am going to put this up consumer complaints, tech forums and inform the cyber crime cell. The guy was like 'Maine kya scam kiya, maine koi card details li kya' and hung up. He had earlier given up a number to cal in case of any queries 09899947761. Haven't tried this and not sure if it works.

P.S. : The lady had mentioned the name as some 'Saarthak Deals'. Searched and found some complaints about them online.

in mumbai local trians, there are far too many people dressed as college students & working for an NGO asking for donation for a cancer struck boy/girl.
the Frequency is so alarming , i feel it is a scam

A friend from my MBA days called 2 days ago and asked if i will be interested in investing in a e-commerce business. Since the guy was very decent and hardworking i agreed to meet him. Was called to CCD in CP, Delhi. When we met he refused to share anything and said a senior person from KPMG will come and explain the process to me. The whole thing turned out to be a pitch for Qnet. Was super pissed on him but I listened to everything to see where it will go. The senior person, a lady after her pitch asked me to become a member immediately and deposit 3.2 lakhs to join them. I made some excuses and came out from the meeting.

What i can not believe is that a person who is a CA and had been working for KPMG for last 5 years will fall for this kind of scam. I am more pissed on my friend who himself work for Indusind bank fell for this.

A friend from my MBA days called 2 days ago and asked if i will be interested in investing in a e-commerce business. Since the guy was very decent and hardworking i agreed to meet him. Was called to CCD in CP, Delhi. When we met he refused to share anything and said a senior person from KPMG will come and explain the process to me. The whole thing turned out to be a pitch for Qnet. Was super pissed on him but I listened to everything to see where it will go. The senior person, a lady after her pitch asked me to become a member immediately and deposit 3.2 lakhs to join them. I made some excuses and came out from the meeting.

What i can not believe is that a person who is a CA and had been working for KPMG for last 5 years will fall for this kind of scam. I am more pissed on my friend who himself work for Indusind bank fell for this.

does this scam scheme promises to double 3.2 lacs in a few months? coz i too have been pestered by a friend who promises to double the same amount but does not reveals anything unless i have invested in it. the worst part is that these people are totally brainwashed like the jihadis who are ready to blow themselves up.

Probably because he's looking for bakras. The more people join that pyramid scheme, the more money he makes through commissions.

^^ Personally I would say it its totally worth breaking friendship and all ties with such people. People who want to get friends involved in such scams do not do it out of ignorance or brainwashing. They know very well what they are doing and still go though to make a quick buck at the expense of their friends.

I use to get calls loans, credit cards, insurance...the lady use to explain the plans and shit and in the end asks "aapko kisme interest hai" and I flirtily reply "muje aapke kiss me intrest hai". The lady use to go mad and argument either would heat up a bit rarely or simply the lady hangs off!
At times they say "sir what are you saying" and me "why? You meet me and I will buy insurance, loans, cc from you. Tum mujhe khush Karo aur mai tumhe".
Poor gal..
Thus I never get calls from same no or same series or Co.

I was told this trick by one of my friend.

He even asks for kiss to guys who call.
In fact he has banged some gals as well in this process.

^^ More likely, they can file a police complaint against him for talking in an inappropriate manner. They may be unwanted calls from telemarketers, but the conversations are recorded any any abusive or inappropriate mode of conversation can easily be reported.

So far so good. And even after telling them many times that m not interested they keep asking for future dates and references. In fact they call again and say " sir pehchana kya etc" this is toooo much.

And these idiots will never approach police. How the hell they get our nos and keep troubling us for no reasons.

Have even replied to such emails as well which are sent by ladies and finally the real manager comes on emailing. I simply say that I"ll sue you and warn of any dire consequences.

^^ Personally I would say it its totally worth breaking friendship and all ties with such people. People who want to get friends involved in such scams do not do it out of ignorance or brainwashing. They know very well what they are doing and still go though to make a quick buck at the expense of their friends.
Yah i have stopped picking up his calls...just received a whatsapp from him telling me not to miss the opportunity :mad:

Back