Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

You travel by train even after the hundreds of mishaps this year?

Way lower than road. Way higher than flights. But the risk % is still low enough for me to choose that option.[DOUBLEPOST=1508237105][/DOUBLEPOST]
As if the number of deaths due to road are not lesser. And flights dont go to all destinations :p

For me, the travel to source and destination airports itself, plus the added pre check-in and waiting times make train a more convenient and comfortable option even though the total travel time is more. Just relax with a book and enjoy the trip. Flights are all stress.

Even though i've never been to Guj, i'm just waiting for the bullet so i can go to ahd for weekend daaru parties...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another scam I came to know after my friend got duped recently.

He has an old Electrolux refrigerator which recently stopped working and he had raised a Service Call with Electrolux.
After few hours he got a call from service engineer about the issue. When the person came, he wasn't from Electrolux and told that Electrolux has outsourced the servicing of out of warranty products to their company. He said he'll charge Rs 350 for basic servicing, and if any parts needed to be changed will be charged accordingly after customer agrees. He said everything quite convincingly, with authenticity. So my friend went ahead and ask him to service the fridge.
And that guy changed some 4 parts with a total bill amounting to Rs 6.5K. He even gave them a bill of the stuffs he had changed, machine was working.

But after just 1 day, the fridge stopped working and on the same day he received a call from the actual Electrolux Service Engineer. Talking to the 'new' guy he came to know that he's being duped. The first guy isn't picking his calls now.

The electrolux engineer charged 2.5K (for some part changed by the first guy, but of different company) to make the thing working again.

Last edited:
^^ if this was a civilized country, he should sue the hell out of electrolux, because how the heck did the 'fake' technician get his contact details?

Another scam I came to know after my friend got duped recently.

He has an old Electrolux refrigerator which recently stopped working and he had raised a Service Call with Electrolux.
After few hours he got a call from service engineer about the issue. When the person came, he wasn't from Electrolux and Electrolux have outsourced the servicing of out of warranty products to their company. He said he'll charge Rs 350 for basic servicing, and if any parts needed to be changed will be charged accordingly after customer agrees. He said everything quite convincingly, with authenticity. So my friend went ahead and ask him to service the fridge.
And that guy changed some 4 parts with a total bill amounting to Rs 6.5K. He even gave them a bill of the stuffs he had changed, machine was working.

But after just 1 day, the fridge stopped working and on the same day he received a call from the actual Electrolux Service Engineer. Talking to the 'new' guy he came to know that he's being duped. The first guy isn't picking his calls now.

The electrolux engineer charged 2.5K (for some part changed by the first guy, but of different company) to make the thing working again.
Now your friend has to worry more on his house, than the fridge. So when he gave the 6.5k bill, it had any company name?

A recent common scam that I can think of is that of Flipkart and it's sales -

I, @vyral_143, @SayantanGuhaRoy & @premiumseller saw WD Passport Ultra 4 TB listed for 5499/- during the Navratri Sale. It was brought to our notice later that the seller has a bad reputation and @vyral_143 bailed out by cancelling his order. I and the others waited hoping that it will be delivered.

On the final day of delivery the order got cancelled. This is a common trick I see both Flipkart and Amazon use to get hits to their websites during such sales.

A recent common scam that I can think of is that of Flipkart and it's sales -

I, @vyral_143, @SayantanGuhaRoy & @premiumseller saw WD Passport Ultra 4 TB listed for 5499/- during the Navratri Sale. It was brought to our notice later that the seller has a bad reputation and @vyral_143 bailed out by cancelling his order. I and the others waited hoping that it will be delivered.

On the final day of delivery the order got cancelled. This is a common trick I see both Flipkart and Amazon use to get hits to their websites during such sales.

Actually, its much more than that - even I had ordered in spite of not being a prime seller. My order was cancelled, and I was thinking its a loss.

Then the seller then dispatched on COD - fakes - USB lights. Luckily, I was there to accept the parcel, and found it to be very lightweight, and knew something was up.

Actually, its much more than that - even I had ordered in spite of not being a prime seller. My order was cancelled, and I was thinking its a loss.

Then the seller then dispatched on COD - fakes - USB lights. Luckily, I was there to accept the parcel, and found it to be very lightweight, and knew something was up.

Eh? How come you didn't tell me about it? I knew the seller was not a premium seller but this? How can flipkart allow such sellers to continue?

Eh? How come you didn't tell me about it? I knew the seller was not a premium seller but this? How can flipkart allow such sellers to continue?

This happened with Amazon, the seller was Cloudfair I guess, and I got the OLAMARTESHOP SMS saying out for delivery.

Hi,

This is regarding cancelled order XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Although the product has been cancelled, I got a call saying it's out for delivery, and when I got the product, it was too light for a my passport ultra (I have a similar device)

I have attached a copy of the photo I have taken of the box.

Additionally, I think that the seller is cheating both Amazon and the customers, and your credibility is being lost as a result. Please take action on this.

Amazon quickly called back, and even offered to give me equivalent Amazon Pay balance, assuming I paid for the HDD. I quickly appraised them of the situation.

After this, I am extremely reluctant to buy from non Prime sellers, and even more so on COD.

Its but obvious that the seller is getting the address from Amazon and FK.

Another scam. Though I assume Its a common one.

Scam:
Few years ago, I used to use my sister's debit card because I didn't have one. I used it everywhere and even on chinese sites too. Few days back, I get a call from a lady asking me by my name. When I answered, she said sir, you used HDFC debit card with so and so number right? she had my whole debit card number. I said yes. Then she said I'm calling from adhaar department and I will need to verify that its your card. So, you'll get an otp within few mins. I'll call you again. You should then tell me the otp. If otp matches, government will clear your card or else it'll be blocked. I was in gym so I got down the threadmill and waited for her call. Then I get an otp for 23k transaction. Within 2 seconds I get her call again asking for otp. I started abusing her and she started abusing me saying "adhaar department" will come and arrest me. Wonder how many people fell into her scam

Here's something you don't see everyday. Someone you don't know pays you to join something.
dcb7cee9c52d65d8dd6fe90b4a01e2a3.jpg

Back