Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

recently went to Mirage cinema, for watching movie, Finding Nanny :D :D

during interval, ordered 2 coke and 2 cheese pop-corn basket, the boy charged me 420, and didn't gave me the bill even on requesting (saying no need) , i went back. complained to manager, got my 420 refunded :D , and free drinks + pop-corn :p

recently went to Mirage cinema, for watching movie, Finding Nanny :D :D

during interval, ordered 2 coke and 2 cheese pop-corn basket, the boy charged me 420, and didn't gave me the bill even on requesting (saying no need) , i went back. complained to manager, got my 420 refunded :D , and free drinks + pop-corn :p

You also managed to see a non-existent movie. :D:D

Just now got a call from 9211718654 . He was claiming that he called from my cc provider and asking the card details.
I asked which bank.. he read out 5 banks, I said I don't have that bank card.. immediately call was cut.[DOUBLEPOST=1411042091][/DOUBLEPOST]Bugger was even telling my name

Blood donation scam by the Cuttack blood bank, Govt. of Odisha. I did post this before in another thread. So it goes like this:
I donated blood twice in my 1st year in the college. The first time, they even did not give me donation card! I didn't knew much about blood donations at that time, so I didn't knew that I was supposed to get a card which guarantees me a free unit of blood whenever I need it for myself or friends.
The next time, I was given a card. One day a friend's father was in requirement of blood so I gave the card to my friend. He did take it but what he said, shocked me. They charge Rs. 350/- with the card for a unit of blood. So basically, they are selling what we donate for free thinking that it will help the needy and save lives.
I'm in the final year now, and haven't donated blood since.

Blood donation scam by the Cuttack blood bank, Govt. of Odisha. I did post this before in another thread. So it goes like this:
I donated blood twice in my 1st year in the college. The first time, they even did not give me donation card! I didn't knew much about blood donations at that time, so I didn't knew that I was supposed to get a card which guarantees me a free unit of blood whenever I need it for myself or friends.
The next time, I was given a card. One day a friend's father was in requirement of blood so I gave the card to my friend. He did take it but what he said, shocked me. They charge Rs. 350/- with the card for a unit of blood. So basically, they are selling what we donate for free thinking that it will help the needy and save lives.
I'm in the final year now, and haven't donated blood since.
Hey, I am not supporting the charge they made, but they too need to Collect, store and then distribute. It needs lots of funds to do it. Also, if you say free blood when you donate, people starts exploiting it for rare groups.

Just now got a call from 9211718654 . He was claiming that he called from my cc provider and asking the card details.
I asked which bank.. he read out 5 banks, I said I don't have that bank card.. immediately call was cut.[DOUBLEPOST=1411042091][/DOUBLEPOST]Bugger was even telling my name
Even I got a call about a month ago. The guy was talking in Hindi in a UP/Bihar accent and literally threatening me that my card will be blocked unless I give him details. He said that he called from Mumbai whereas TrueCaller showed it as Bihar. I told him to go fool someone else while I contact my bank branch. He disconnected the call.

A lady called me up today and told that she's calling from Airtel. She then asked whether I'm using an Idea SIM. Errr... What was that about?

Regarding blood donation and price of a pint of blood

Whenever you buy/purchase/reserve a pint of blood you are paying
1)minor fraction for the blood/blood product itself, infact nil . Many places will ask you infact for replacemnt if possible.
2)major fraction for the storage,packaging and the testing the blood goes through before reaching a desired patient.

Many hospitals follow a replacement policy .
For example, suppose your friend meets an accident, and the doctor requests you to arrange a pint(a 350 ml packet ) of blood. And suppose it is an emergency.
The blood bank will issue a pack of blood immediately but shortly you will have to replace the blood (any group) and in addition you will have to shell 350 to 600 bucks that varies from hospital to hospital. What you are paying is NOT for the blood itself. It is for the crossmatching and the Hiv/HbsAg/Hcv testing plus packaging and storage.
Also you may have noticed that they accept replacement regardless of the blood group. This is because blood banks function according to pooled criteria. Considering the paucity of voluntary donations in our country , there is no other way for the the most essential "banks" in the world to survive.

^ It does vary slightly from place to place, and also depends on the particular blood product.
But still varies from 400 to 700 at most places

i have been recently getting calls from life care india, saying they are baed in delhi and attached to hospitals like AIIMS and are collecting funds for helping poor kids for operating costs and medical bills etc, they even have got a website : www.lifecareindiatrust.org

dont fall for them

All the supermalls, malls in Maharashtra which charge from rs 2- rs 6 for plastic bags.

Bmc in 2011 had banned the usage of plastic bags, but these malls instead of providing eco- friendly brown paper bags like in abroad for free , are making a quick buck selling plastic bags

All the supermalls, malls in Maharashtra which charge from rs 2- rs 6 for plastic bags.

Bmc in 2011 had banned the usage of plastic bags, but these malls instead of providing eco- friendly brown paper bags like in abroad for free , are making a quick buck selling plastic bags
This has been a practice all across in India, especially under the LANDMARK Group (Lifestyle/Auchan/Max/Spalsh/Home Centre ...) even the RPG Group (Spencers)[DOUBLEPOST=1412282091][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh forgot to add almost any FMCG Chain does this

the ban was unsuccessful and so the rule was modified to charge money to buy bags. This is the only way we can force people to reuse bags and not throw them away in every nook and corner of India.

Considering that paper bags cannot carry that much weight - was never gonna work. I have seen plastic bags tearing - paper bags never stand a chance.

I think charging INR 4-6 is not enough - they should increase it to INR 10 per bag at least. I always carry my bags along.

charge money for plastic bags and people will stop using it - was never the plan.

ban on plastic bags is in force but on the ones that are thinner than certain microns. those bags are difficult to dispose off. check out the bags you get from branded stores, they clearly mention the thickness and probably they are already recycled.

so relax guys, those malls aren't scamming you but encouraging you to bring in your own (eco-friendly) carry bags. and this idea is borrowed from abroad.

Last edited:
Back