Common Scams happpening in India, list the ones you may know

Sanav3

Adept
Mar 16, 2005
Mumbai <--> Pune
Check if each item has been billed at MRP or lower after billing before leaving the store.
In case of discrepancy you would get your cash back from customer care, I have had same experience in Big bazaar and DMart.

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
How do you check the price vs. bill price if you are buying 30-40 entered items.? At times, more. You have so much time, post-billing.

Criminal

Adept
Jun 6, 2013
^^ stores encourage people to check the goods/bill before leaving... so, no issues in spending time on post-billing check.

a number of times, i was able to get exchange/store credits when i found some fault with the product/bill after reaching home.

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
Another 'fraud' from SaveTheDeals - They claim to be offering supermarket vouchers of 1700 for 50 INR only

upload_2014-9-11_19-8-8.png

rdst_1

Skilled
May 10, 2009
Doesn't work where I live. Never get any discount from local Kirana. But Dmart always has discounts.

It also helps in my case that we are their customer for the last 30 years. But since we moved, I have been buying in small quantities from the now 'local kariana' shops as our main shop is a few kms away and even they always charge lower than MRP.

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
And its just on one or two items, period. D'Mart has 2~5% off storewide on MRP, AFAIK.
I don't know about DMArt but I wonder why people talk about off and discounts (have a hard time understanding the rush on sabse sasta Wed in Big Bazar).

My joint family owns a chain of kirana stores at my hometown and we offer discount on more items than I have seen in any of the supermarkets. MRP is just a ruse, as the name states it is the Maximum Retail Price. Normally the CP in bulk is low enough that if one sells for 2-3% margin ie SP, they still make a good profit and give discounts to people. Prices of some of the items in these big brand stores are just atrocious - specially when it comes to local made products like plastic or household items. They sell it for near MRP or under the ruse of "heavy discount on MRP" when they actually cost very less. Obviously there are items like chocolates which are costly even in bulk and even sold on MRP is not enough.

Reactions: kippu

mrmash

Disciple
On a lighter note
Just a joke I got as a forward

BIG BAZAAR CAR PARK SCAM - BEWARE!

Please BE WARNED..!

Over the last month I have become a victim of a clever scam whilst out shopping.
Simply dropping into Big Bazaar for a bit of shopping turned out to be quite an experience. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends! Here's how the scam works:

Two very good-looking 20-21 year-old girls with big boobs and long legs come over to your car as you are packing your shopping into the boot.
They both start cleaning your windscreen, their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T- shirts. When you thank them and offer them a tip, they'll say 'No' and instead they ask you for a lift to another supermarket, in my case, D-Mart.

You agree and they both get in the back seat.
On the way there, they start undressing, until both are completely naked. Then, when you pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbs over into the front seat and starts crawling all over your lap, kissing you, touching you intimately and thrusting herself against you, while the other one steals your wallet..!

I had my wallet stolen on August 4th, 9th,10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th and 29th. Also on September 1st, 4th, 6th, 10th and twice yesterday. So please warn all the men you know to be on the lookout for this scam.

PS - The best times seem to be just before lunch and about 4:30 in the afternoon.

PPS - Big Bazaar has cheap wallets on sale for 100 each but wallets at D-Mart are 200 and look better..!!

Criminal

Adept
Jun 6, 2013
I don't know about DMArt but I wonder why people talk about off and discounts (have a hard time understanding the rush on sabse sasta Wed in Big Bazar).

local kirana stores can afford to give decent discounts but they don't always do that. most of them don't have to spend any money on safe storage of goods, baskets/trolleys, uniformed employees, billing system, advertisements, display racks, pricing/discount stickers, inventory maintenance, segregation of expiring/non-moving items, logistics, security, lockers, toilets, air-conditioning, and lots of other behind-the-scenes stuff.

i prefer to buy certain items at higher cost from branded stores because they keep stuff away from sunlight and mostly in air-conditioned, clean environment. and then i like to get back exact change or store credits instead of toffees. :p

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
The Dmart near my place in Pune has really good discounts I think. Some examples I can mention..

Brittania Toast (Rusk) - MRP is 35, they sell for 28 Rs or max 30 Rs.
Gowardhan Dahi 1 Kg - MRP 99 Rs, they sell for 79 Rs
Brown Rice - Mrp 145/150, Sold for 115 Rs
Unibic biscuits (one of the varieties) - MRP 20 Rs (1 on 1 free, effective price 10 Rs per packet).

Infact Reliance Mart is a rip off. Their prices are seldom less (like dmart).

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com

My joint family owns a chain of kirana stores at my hometown and we offer discount on more items than I have seen in any of the supermarkets. MRP is just a ruse, as the name states it is the Maximum Retail Price. Normally the CP in bulk is low enough that if one sells for 2-3% margin ie SP, they still make a good profit and give discounts to people. Prices of some of the items in these big brand stores are just atrocious - specially when it comes to local made products like plastic or household items. They sell it for near MRP or under the ruse of "heavy discount on MRP" when they actually cost very less. Obviously there are items like chocolates which are costly even in bulk and even sold on MRP is not enough.

Most of them do not offer any discounts. True experience. And the treatment is not great exactly.

As for Big Bazaar - its hype. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reliance is a mega rip off. And they keep expired stuff too.

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
The Dmart near my place in Pune has really good discounts I think. Some examples I can mention..

Brittania Toast (Rusk) - MRP is 35, they sell for 28 Rs or max 30 Rs.
Gowardhan Dahi 1 Kg - MRP 99 Rs, they sell for 79 Rs
Brown Rice - Mrp 145/150, Sold for 115 Rs
Unibic biscuits (one of the varieties) - MRP 20 Rs (1 on 1 free, effective price 10 Rs per packet).

Infact Reliance Mart is a rip off. Their prices are seldom less (like dmart).
They sell for it low cause even with CP + x% they still make a profit. MRP is just the upper limit which can be charged on a product and because many of the pre-mart kirana stores dint want to spend time calculating, they use MRP as a guideline for SP. Now it has become a norm and worse now it has become the guideline for %age discount.

Example the toast in bulk (complete box) will cost say 25, there is no need to sell for 35 and even with 20% markup you get good SP (30) but people go meh! and price it to 35 as per MRP.

Reliance is certainly the worst mart ever. Worst quality and even worse pricing.

Reactions: raksrules

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
local kirana stores can afford to give decent discounts but they don't always do that. most of them don't have to spend any money on safe storage of goods, baskets/trolleys, uniformed employees, billing system, advertisements, display racks, pricing/discount stickers, inventory maintenance, segregation of expiring/non-moving items, logistics, security, lockers, toilets, air-conditioning, and lots of other behind-the-scenes stuff.

i prefer to buy certain items at higher cost from branded stores because they keep stuff away from sunlight and mostly in air-conditioned, clean environment. and then i like to get back exact change or store credits instead of toffees. :p
Yes many kiranas can't offer the mart experience with storage, trolleys, uniformed employees, billing system etc but...... they do get paid by companies for advertisements (maybe not much but still), you ever see a hoarding with Rupa ads? Depending on how big a name you are, companies might pays the shop/gives extra discounts. They do get specialized display racks for specific products, like the ones you see in marts, even pricing/discount stickers, inventory maint, logistics etc. (no toilets or air conditioning though). It just depends on what kind of operation you are running.

rdst_1

Skilled
May 10, 2009
I guess to each his own. Nearly every Kirana wala over her im Chandigarh offers to take order over phone and deliver to the house free of cost. Also after a few years one develops a sort of a relationship and discounts become commonplace. Like I said, we have been buying our 'raashan' from the same shop for the last 30 years. Even when I moved to another city, I couldn't get myself to shop in these big marts. I guess I prefer handing over the list and taking the products than having to pick up products and then wait in line for billing.

bssunilreddy

Skilled
Mar 24, 2007
Anupuram
From the past 30 years my family buy from local kirana shop only. Its cheap and transparent and you give the list to the kirana wala & get the products delivered to your house and pay accordingly.