Android Google Nexus 4 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
aradhakr84 No bro i have lesser background running apps compared to my friend who has facebook, whatsapp running. His ram usage was around 540mb while mine was around 440mb. Should I check the android development thread or the original android development thread.
PS: Can you help me with rooting my phone. I am not aware of adb and stuff. On my old galaxy used odin to root.

hareshr29
if you are getting more than one go for HopShopGo if you have PayPal account else try comgateway. And please direct your purchase queries in the purchase thread. This is a discussion thread about the phone by current users. Thanks for the cooperation.

aradhakr84 No bro i have lesser background running apps compared to my friend who has facebook, whatsapp running. His ram usage was around 540mb while mine was around 440mb. Should I check the android development thread or the original android development thread.
PS: Can you help me with rooting my phone. I am not aware of adb and stuff. On my old galaxy used odin to root.

Rooting is a long process, but not difficult... You can check Android development thread for ROMs and Original Android development thread for Kernels...

For rooting, follow this method:
[NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT V1.3.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Flash, Mods + MUCH MORE - xda-developers

- - - Updated - - -

If the question was for me then the screen sensitivity is perfect, skinomi doesn't hamper the performance, its just as smooth and clear as the gorilla glass.

I second this.... Skinomi gets the job done perfectly.... Screen sensitivity is decent....

The thread says root upto 4.2.1 whereas i am on 4.2.2. Is there a step by step guide for rooting?

What you do is still download the toolkit... According to one XDA member:
Literally just used the 1.3.0 version to one click my 4.2.2 Nexus 4 not even 3 minutes ago. If you install the updated fastboot/adb files, which are in this thread somewhere, you can continue to use the 1.3.0 version with your 4.2.2 device just fine...

You just need to download the toolkit and once downloaded, go to the folder which is present in C: and replace the fastboot/adb files to the newer one... That should be able to root your device fine in 4.2.2

Once done, let me know,,, I will send you the updated files to your mail ID... That way, you can replace it and continue rooting...

Ok. I saw one another thread on rooting which has a step by step guide. [Root] How to Root Nexus 4! [Windows + Mac][VIdeo] - xda-developers

The thread you mentioned above has adb_fastboot_files_for_4.2.2. Is that it?

Yeah... the one I have mentioned, you can just download the toolkit and I can send you the files you need to replace... that's all... once done, you can just open it and do the tweaks... the tool is much easier and straightforward...

Yeah... the one I have mentioned, you can just download the toolkit and I can send you the files you need to replace... that's all... once done, you can just open it and do the tweaks... the tool is much easier and straightforward...

I tried the toolkit, but it was outdated... Can u send me the new files?

@aradhakr84 Bro did you check my previous post? I downloaded a file from that thread is that the same one that you were gonna mail me?

Last edited by a moderator:
aradhakr84 Bro did you check my previous post? I downloaded a file from that thread is that the same one that you were gonna mail me?

Actually the toolkit u need to download from the thread.... Install it as per instruction.... That toolkit was to root for 4.2.1..... In order for the toolkit to work on 4.2.2 u just have to replace adb and fast boot files found inside toolkit to latest one.... The file is in that thread somewhere... If not able to find it, i can send the files which you copy over existing file inside the toolkit folder u installed.... Send me your email id in PM.....

prateekS same applies to what i said above.... I am unable to send replacement exe files thru gmail.... Will find a way to send it to you..... Just give me till Thursday.... Thx...

Download the latest Root Toolkit 1.6.3 it works with 4.2.2.

I used it to Root my device running 4.2.2.
Process is a Lil lengthy but the toolkit gives very specific instructions at each step. Follow them to the letter.

1. Install full drivers using the toolkit.
2. "Unlock" bootloader ( the will wipe the data, factory reset your device , you can make backup using the toolkit as well)
3. Root the device. (optionally install a custom recovery as well, I used TWRP)

When you install version 1.6.3 toolkit will automatically download the latest IMG files.

I upgraded from galaxy nexus. Before purchasing I had my doubts if it would be a worthy upgrade. I didn't care for allegedly fragile built of the phone.
All my doubts were quashed when I received my phone. I ordered it through SnS. It cost me around 23k.
Firstly, the phone is gorgeous. I like how they never use branding on the front. I would have preferred Google branding on back along with nexus though.
As far as build quality is concerned, in my opinion it is not as fragile. One minor issue is the power button does not stick out enough for my liking. It's no biggie cause I hardly ever use the power button. I use swipe2unlock apps.
One well known design issue is with the speaker. If you keep the phone flat, the speaker volume becomes way too weaker.
Performance wise this phone is fast, blazing fast. No lag whatsoever. Camera is obvious improvement over galaxy nexus. 16 gb (around 13 gb usable) storage is just not good enough. They should be launching nexus with 32gb storage option too. Overall I'm very happy with the device.

The wireless charging orb is a "cool" gadget but it is a bit costly for a charger. It holds the phone nicely and works as a desktop stand too. One issue though is after charging the phone to full, as soon as I pickup the phone, battery drops by 3-5%. The charger should come with a battery of its own so that we could use it while traveling too.

I also bought Poetic bumper and tried official bumper of a friend. Poetic bumper is thinner. Even then I did not like the extra bulk. I have decided I am never gonna use case with my phones unless they come up with something like galaxy s3/note2 covers.

IMG_20130119_140157_0.jpgIMG_20130119_1358371_0.jpgIMG_20130119_102804_0.jpgDSC00444_0.jpgDSC00451_0.jpg

I will try rooting my phone using the toolkit. In the meantime i also want to flash Paranoidandroid and franco.kernel.

Can someone tell me whats the difference between a rom and a kernel and which has to be flashed first?

I will try rooting my phone using the toolkit. In the meantime i also want to flash Paranoidandroid and franco.kernel.

Can someone tell me whats the difference between a rom and a kernel and which has to be flashed first?

This thread provides you with detailed info on ROM and Kernel difference

whats the difference between a ROM and a kernel - xda-developers

After rooting, you need to follow instructions:

1) Install ROM in SD card
2) Go to CWM Recovery menu
3) Do Wipe factory data
4) Do Wipe Cache
5) Go to advanced and do Wipe Dalvik Cache
6) Then come back and go to Install from SD card
7) Install ROM first
8) Then install Gapps
9) Do not install kernel now, reboot and make sure ROM is ported properly.... Kernel you can flash anytime.... Reason being the kernel might not be compatible with the ROM the first time....
10) Once you are sure that ROM is stable, then again reboot to recovery

11) Wipe Cache partition
12) Do Wipe Dalvik Cache
13) Flash Kernel from SD card (as you do with ROM)

Have fun flashing.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back