Audio Guitar Discussion Thread

Re: Guitar Discussion Thread 2008

spynic said:
was a fan of digitech.. until line 6

boss is good.. n id recommend zoom for beginners..

keeping aside multi's

setting up the individual effects/amps.. is a pain in d a$$

need lots of exp.. and time to throw on experimenting;)

Not really a pain to set up... it's actually a lot simpler if you know what tone you're going after. People seem to prefer multi-effects units for their cost and versatility, especially in India. Another reason multi-effects are popular is because bands do a lot of covers and it's the easiest way to sound like any guitarist without buying signature gear :)

It's basically quality versus quantity, and we get to pick what's more important to us. I started out with individual pedals because my dad had a good vintage collection, but once they all died nobody could repair them, and I couldn't afford pedals let alone finding good ones in the 90's. Multi-effects bailed me out but as much as I used them I hated that every guitarist sounded the same (yes they do lol). I used to have 6 patches only - clean, chorus, rock rhythm, rock solo, metal rhythm, metal solo.

A few months ago I moved back to stomp boxes and I have no clue how I played without them for so long. It's working out well for me because I'm not trying to sound like my favorite musicians, even though I could with my current setup, but yeah it's not as easy as plugging in an XT Live and dialing in the heaviest settings (which most guitarists tend to do).

Almost 3 months and I'm still testing pedals, not because I haven't found my tone or I'm not happy with it but I'm always looking to improve on it and if I find something better, great. It reassures me that what I have is probably the best I can use to achieve my tone. Although, I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the Satchurator next month to see if it can replace my modded DS-1.

---

@sangram, hah saved your 1000th post for this thread? Nice! :D

^^well actually it was 1000, then the server didn't respond, so I must've pressed the button twice. Then I edited it to allow a mod to come along and delete.

So yeah, 1000th, 1001st and 1002nd all in this thread. And this one, so 4 posts in a row on the same thread...

Totally by coincidence, I must add. I noticed I was unsubscribed and wasn't getting thread updates once this new thread was formed by the mods, so logged in and saw the 999 number.

The rest, as they say, is history. Now I'm going OT, so I'll just shut up.

btw, does this mean that those lessons I posted on last year's thread are going to drop into oblivion?

They're over in the older 2007 thread but they were lost among those pages anyhow, so maybe it's a good idea to start a guitar lessons/theory thread and separate it from this general discussion. I'll leave the honors to you :)

Customized Ibanez RG2550E....

Took some time off this weekend to make changes to my RG2550E - new smoked gray mirror pickguard, H-H pickup configuration, VLX91 super-switch and locking studs for the Edge Pro trem.

Current pickups are Evo neck and Breed bridge, but I'll be switching back to the Tone Zone soon until I get an Evo bridge. At first the missing mid pickup looked a bit odd but now I like the new look.

More than the looks though, I'm enjoying the new coil-tapped pickup positions: neck, neck parallel, outer coils, inner coils, bridge :)

RG2550E stock pickguard with DiMarzios (Evo, Blue Velvet & Tone Zone):

New pickguard installed:

Ank1t said:
why did you remove the pickup tho?

Couple reasons:

1. I prefer humbuckers for the music I play, the mid position was used very rarely and I kept it in there because I didn't want a gaping hole. I ordered a custom pickguard without the mid cavity just so I could run dual humbuckers instead.

2. I wanted to experiment with exotic coil-tapping and I have found some awesome tones. Switching positions 2 (neck parallel) and 4 (inner coils, series) are now my favorites.

RiO said:
Couple reasons:

1. I prefer humbuckers for the music I play, the mid position was used very rarely and I kept it in there because I didn't want a gaping hole. I ordered a custom pickguard without the mid cavity just so I could run dual humbuckers instead.

Got it :)

2. I wanted to experiment with exotic coil-tapping and I have found some awesome tones. Switching positions 2 (neck parallel) and 4 (inner coils, series) are now my favorites.

Didn't get this :S

Humbuckers are basically 2 separate coils running in series. In switching position 2, I'm running the 2 coils in the neck humbucker in parallel - in position 4, the inner coil of the neck humbucker AND the inner coil of the bridge humbucker are active and running in series. Position 3 I eliminated today, but previously it would activate the outer coils of each humbucker resulting in a tele sound.

Oooh.. Makes sense.. Cool :) Always wondered what *really* happened when the position are changed.

RiO said:
Humbuckers are basically 2 separate coils running in series. In switching position 2, I'm running the 2 coils in the neck humbucker in parallel - in position 4, the inner coil of the neck humbucker AND the inner coil of the bridge humbucker are active and running in series. Position 3 I eliminated today, but previously it would activate the outer coils of each humbucker resulting in a tele sound.

While running the S-S-S setup. There are 2 positions to select 2 pups. (Either Neck+Mid or Bridge + Mid) How do they run ? In series or in parallel? :S

All strat-style guitars with 3 single-coils come with a 5-way switch, not sure why yours is only fitted with a 2-way. Most stock switches can only run pickups/coils in series, one of the reasons I changed my switch.

RiO said:
All strat-style guitars with 3 single-coils come with a 5-way switch, not sure why yours is only fitted with a 2-way. Most stock switches can only run pickups/coils in series, one of the reasons I changed my switch.

No no.It has a 5 way switch. The thing is that, I've noticed that with high OD the Humming reduces if you run 2 pickups together. On a single pickup it hums more..

samrulez said:
No no.It has a 5 way switch. The thing is that, I've noticed that with high OD the Humming reduces if you run 2 pickups together. On a single pickup it hums more..

ofcourse it will hum more, a humbucker is esentially 2 singlecoil pickups with opposite polarites

so, i.e whn you select position 2 on your pickup selector switch, basically the neck and the middle pickup form a sort of a humbucker, same applies for position 4, when the middle pickup and the bridge pickup shall form a humbucker.

Another little experiment over the weekend - replaced the CVR2 actives in my JS30 with DiMarzios, and the guitar has got a warm, bluesy tone now... these DiMarzios sound better in the Jackson's alder body than it did in a basswood body. Retained the stock 3-way switch, but added a coil tap in the mid position:

Plan to keep this setup until I test it live this weekend, at a much louder volume.

samrulez said:

All standard single-coils are noisy, but some of that noise is reduced when you run 2 in series (as powersurge pointed out). You can alleviate some of that noise, however, by shielding the pickup and electronics cavities. Then there are hum-canceling strat pickups but I've only seen guitars with an H-S-H config come fitted with them. For real strat tone, standard strat pickups are essential but you can reduce all noise/hum if you include a noise gate in your signal chain.

I tried some "thiner" to clean my maple fretboard, I guess it works same as lighter fluid...And it WORKED!!

Btw..Does it mess up the oil balance of the fretboard? If yes..which oil should i use to restore it.?

Back