Audio Guitar Discussion Thread

Is this going to be your first guitar?
If yes, consider an acoustic guitar as they help in developing finger strength and better evaluation of your skills in the beginning.
Yamaha F310 is a good acoustic guitar. If you are willing to shell out some more, yamaha fg800 can be had for 18k and it is a great guitar for its price.

Some good electric guitars are fender squire, yamaha pacifica 012. For an amp you can go for boss katana mk 2 50 w for nearly 20k.
I am only looking for acoustic electric one. looking it as a one time investment as will not be able guy another just like this :tearsofjoy::sweat:

For a starter / beginner, I actually recommend getting any guitar within your budget, the reason being most of the guitars < 7-10k are crap anyways.

HOWEVER

Once you start playing guitar, you will understand what to look out for, like ex. The neck, the fretboard, the action, awareness to any buzzing / intonation, tuners and their mechanisms, the gauge of strings that you prefer, the shape of body, the tones of guitar, etc. For a beginner you would be relying on others opinions, but with experience you will know what you want and don't like. So, get a cheapo electric / acoustic from amazon (which are all chinese guitars anyways) and play that Givson or Sender to hell and back lol

For a starter / beginner, I actually recommend getting any guitar within your budget, the reason being most of the guitars < 7-10k are crap anyways.

HOWEVER

Once you start playing guitar, you will understand what to look out for, like ex. The neck, the fretboard, the action, awareness to any buzzing / intonation, tuners and their mechanisms, the gauge of strings that you prefer, the shape of body, the tones of guitar, etc. For a beginner you would be relying on others opinions, but with experience you will know what you want and don't like. So, get a cheapo electric / acoustic from amazon (which are all chinese guitars anyways) and play that Givson or Sender to hell and back lol
Yamaha's F310 is a great guitar under 10k. Much better than other offerings under 10k.
It has fuller sound than other guitars(knock offs) and having a guitar which is easier to play and sounds good plays a crucial role in whether one is going to continue the hobby or not.
Of course, if you are not very serious to begin with and would just like to test the waters then any 2.5k guitar will do.

Of course, if you are not very serious to begin
The way I see it, seriousness in the beginning practically amounts to nothing. Its by the end / middle of the process that they will get properly invested. Buying a guitar is the easy part. If the person is not interested they could easily sell it off. Selling a cheaper guitar at 20-40% loss is way more pocketable than selling an expensive guitar at similar loss. The mid range used market has some pretty good deals, many come from people who start out with good gear without knowing if they are going to invest time into it.

If you join a class (esp from someone who you know / are recommended cuz of your contacts) the teacher will usually hook you up with a good guitar or might let you rent for a month or two, which should be sufficient to know if you want to get another better guitar.

Also, please note this is the way I learnt to play guitar. I started with a crappy black Givson, then even played a black Yamaha acoustic worth 10k (I don't remember the model, but it could very well be F310) but eventually settled with electric guitar as setting up acoustic guitars need expertise, esp with intonation. The expensive acoustics are intonated fairly well, hence their price (At least thats what my guitarist friends tell me). A friend of mine also showed me a chinese knock off guitar which sounded insanely good, tho I admit it was a case of RNGesus smiling on him lol.

Right now I'm not playing my guitar (have to restring and set it up again, also need to fix the neck of my bass guitar). I bought my electric guitar used for 5k and used bass for 4k, if I do indeed abandon playing guitar I'm fairly certain I could sell it without any depreciation. But, to tap into the potential of used market, one does need to spend time not just playing the guitar, but also learning about what makes it tick.

I am yet to get invested. trying to setup my time schedule first. then only I will buy a guitar as I wish to atleast invest 1 hr daily for this activity.

The way I see it, seriousness in the beginning practically amounts to nothing. Its by the end / middle of the process that they will get properly invested. Buying a guitar is the easy part. If the person is not interested they could easily sell it off. Selling a cheaper guitar at 20-40% loss is way more pocketable than selling an expensive guitar at similar loss. The mid range used market has some pretty good deals, many come from people who start out with good gear without knowing if they are going to invest time into it.

If you join a class (esp from someone who you know / are recommended cuz of your contacts) the teacher will usually hook you up with a good guitar or might let you rent for a month or two, which should be sufficient to know if you want to get another better guitar.

Also, please note this is the way I learnt to play guitar. I started with a crappy black Givson, then even played a black Yamaha acoustic worth 10k (I don't remember the model, but it could very well be F310) but eventually settled with electric guitar as setting up acoustic guitars need expertise, esp with intonation. The expensive acoustics are intonated fairly well, hence their price (At least thats what my guitarist friends tell me). A friend of mine also showed me a chinese knock off guitar which sounded insanely good, tho I admit it was a case of RNGesus smiling on him lol.

Right now I'm not playing my guitar (have to restring and set it up again, also need to fix the neck of my bass guitar). I bought my electric guitar used for 5k and used bass for 4k, if I do indeed abandon playing guitar I'm fairly certain I could sell it without any depreciation. But, to tap into the potential of used market, one does need to spend time not just playing the guitar, but also learning about what makes it tick.
True indeed. What you are suggesting is very wise financially. For me it is a combination of different things, the 2.5k guitar I first bought was an instrument straight from hell, I sucked big time, and the travel on strings made it even worse. I got rid of it, got a yamaha later and I still suck but less, the guitar sounds fuller and all in all I'm happy with it. I have few friends who started with 2.5k guitars and still play on them and in my inexperienced eyes and ears they are nothing less than maestros. They manage to make even those guitars sound wonderful.
Again, if one is not sure about whether they are going to continue the hobby or not, invest money less and time more in the hobby and see if they like it. Play guitar is an insanely rewarding hobby and I do hope people stick with it more. But still, if one can afford a decent beginner guitar they should go for it, as it makes the barrier to creating good music lower(keeping all other factors same).
Also, which electric and bass guitar do you have, I'm being nosy but I'd like to get them some day, hence asking :)
I am yet to get invested. trying to setup my time schedule first. then only I will buy a guitar as I wish to atleast invest 1 hr daily for this activity.
That'd be so cool. The more guitar playing people we have here on te the better! I am noob but
@kvn95ss could help you along the way, with me giving full moral support!

Any rocksmith players here? I feel I am the only one who started learning with an electric guitar, a cheap 5k one but still an electric.

Any rocksmith players here? I feel I am the only one who started learning with an electric guitar, a cheap 5k one but still an electric.

Always better to start learning with an acoustic. The action is higher than an electric so it can be tricky at first but once you get a hold of it its much easier to shift to an electric. Also with an electric the pickup will amplify any mistakes you make, especially on distortion. A beginner shouldnt be thinking about how to mute all the strings properly while learning to play. Anywho, how was your experience with rocksmith?

Back