HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

RVK2488 said:
@techpal

I am extremely satisfied with the picture quality. HD Rips look awesome. Haven't tried any actual Blurays coz I have not purchased Bluray player yet...researching on that. The TV detects my 500GB HDD and plays most of the formats..even plays DTS audio which my previous LG LED TV didn't. It failed to play some 1080p mkv's or .ts files but that's ok. But the picture quality is extremely good considering the fact that it has only 1366*768 resolution on 51" TV. But reflection can be a deal breaker if you cannot have controlled lighting in room or have window right opposite of TV. So check that before you buy 43D490/51D490/51D550. Reflection is the ONLY issue I have faced till now but I was aware of it before buying the TV.
I have Tata Sky HD and the HD channels look great.. SD channels are ok but not at all bad considering its 51".

Regarding Burn In, I have read a lot about it and although modern plasmas don't have that much problem, I have toned down the contrast and brightness levels and will keep it that way for first 100-150 hours. Also I am avoiding videos that have vertical/horizontal black bars for longer periods.. all these are just precautionary measures but I don't think there is much worry about.

btw, I have seen 43D490 in showroom and it looks great especially since it has only 1024*768 resolution. It was right next to 51D550 which is Full HD 51" plasma..and standing at about 4-5 ft, you could see subtle differences in picture quality due to difference in resolution but it wasn't a deal breaker. And 43D490 was doing a great job considering that 51D550 is Full HD and almost 22-23k higher than 43D490. But as I said before, check if reflection is a major issue in your case (based on your room condition) or not. If not, 43D490 is VFM plasma in it's price category.

we want to buy plasma tv .. Can you please post some pics of Samsung 51D490 ?

also with reflection post some pics.

1. Budget.- 45,000

2. Viewing distance.- 8 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - cable and USB

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - LED TV

5. Preference for brands. - Samsung & Sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - Medium (Controllable)
8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - None

1. Budget. - 35,000 to 40,000(lower the better)

2. Viewing distance.10-18 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - cable/DVD player(RGB cable)/Occasional Laptop running XBMC/ Since the sound of the LCDs are not so good, I'm planning to couple it with my existing Philips hi-fi(It takes input as two red and white jacks).

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.- LED/LCD

5. Preference for brands. - No

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - two sets of 4 windows on adjacent walls.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. Nothing specific, more the merrier,

Important point to be noted here is I can get a Samsung LA40D550 for 37985/-, a samsung LA32D450 for 22069/- and a LG 42LK430 for 38197/- from Canteen. So I prefer something from them. My first choice is a 40" but can settle for a 32" if I'm out of money.. :ashamed:

P.S One more thing I want know is about the significance of the difference between 50 and 100Hz. Is it another marketing gimmick or it is worth paying the extra money.

Total price with 2 3d glasses +2yrs extended warranty+1k worth of free goodies from sonovision visakhapatnam AP

dlbLH.jpg

downloader said:
52K:hap2: ??????????? From Where.
Vat paid or basic Price?:huh:

1. Budget.: 30K

2. Viewing distance.: 7/8 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. : HD DTH(need suggestion too) + Xbox + HTPC (near future)

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. : LCD/LED

5. Preference for brands. : Samsung or Sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.: Decent room light. No sunlight. windows & door with dark curtains.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.: NA (good if anything come within budget)

My research/choice:

32" would be best within my budget as well as the room is concerned.

Found the best VFM as this Buy Samsung 32'' LCD TV LA32D550K1R at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

With some coupon it can further be reduced. And they are offering Reliance DTH HD.

So, is it a decent deal?

Or any other suggestion?

Hello guys,
I'm planning to buy an LCD TV for my living room (8-10 ft viewing distance).

I went to Inorbit (Hyderabad) to check out some LCD tv's, and here are my observations. Please note that my budget is strictly around 20-25k. I really wasn't able to see much difference between LED and LCD TVs. Is it really worth paying the extra 5k+ for LED?
Overall, I've noticed that Toshiba TVs and Panasonic TVs are pure VFM. And I loved the viewing angles of the Panasonic Viera line as well (178 degrees) - this matters to me in my current home setup.
1. Toshiba PB1 - liked the PQ on this, sells for 21k at Inorbit, I'm sure I can get it for less elsewhere (~17-18k). It seems this TV doesn't play much video from USB - a bit of a downer for me

2. Panasonic Viera HD LCD TH-L32U20 - sells for ~25.6k at Flipkart - Flipkart: Panasonic 32 Inches Full HD LCD TH-L32U20: Television - I'm leaning towards this since this is a really nice FHD IPS panel (I'm sure I can get this for ~24-25 at local stores) - and seems to be super VFM. Does anyone have any feedback on this one?
My requirements in summary are:

1. Decent PQ in both HD (1080i) and SD channels, and blue ray/SD/HD movie rips (upto 1080p)
2. Decent viewing angles (viera line seems to be king here)
3. Decent sound
4. Ability to play files from USB - most formats- I'm willing to let go of this if I buy Asus Oplay mini...

Finally, does anyone know good stores for best deals on LCDs in Hyderabad?

Merry christmas to everyone!

i have two Panasonic LCD.the color reproduction is bit washed out and USB supported formats are less when compared with lg.I do like their build quality though

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Oh.. in the showroom I could hardly make out differences w.r.t. the LG one (which also costed ~29k) - and the viewing angles at least seemed far superior. Do you guys think Panny L32U20 @ 24-25k is worth? Or do you have a better suggestion at the 25k price point?

LCD counsumes nearly Double power compare to LED... consider Power Counsumption factor also as day by day electricity price going up :(

Thanks but my usage isn't that much to worry about it (about 2hrs per day max) I just want to know the most vfm LCD TV (preferably FHD) within 25k max within about a couple of days :)

Vidy said:
Total price with 2 3d glasses +2yrs extended warranty+1k worth of free goodies from sonovision visakhapatnam AP

dlbLH.jpg

Hey,

Can you tell me where is the shop in dwarkanagar?

Sonovision - near the Diamond Park. If you are coming from Sangam-Sarat side, cross the SaiRam [parlor and turn right towards SriKanya. You will find it immediately on the right side - across the road.

Huh! Surprised to see so many members from Visakhapatnam :)

And BTW isnt this not a good time to buy a new tv, atleast the top end ones? Because the new models will release in CES 2012 Jan and we will have the option of choosing from the new ones at existing rates(approx) or old ones at heavily discounted rates.

Well i took advise from many wise TE members on this thread but never responded back with my purchase due to work schedule so pardon me for that and thanks to " ADDER " for his valuable inputs.

Here's my purchase of 4 sets with each of Samsung & Sony from Bangkok, Thailand.

I got 46EX520 and 46D5500 along with UA40D6400 in 4 different visit's there.

Now few will think why did i picked Sony & Samsung over LG or Panasonic?

Well to be honest i demo'ed all sets by all company, comparing every set with its evenly matched competitors which gave me clear indication about what to look for before discarding rest from crowded market which gave me my choice of Sony & Samsung.I was put on a hot seat with IPS/2' inch more and free goodies by local salesman and international ones but i kept my cool ( infact i kept my greed in check and went for best what i thought was for me ).

Why LED over Plasma or LCD

Greener is IN for me....

My views on both Sony EX520 & Samsung D5500 !

On SD/Cable/STB - EX520 has better color's and quality while watching SD stuffs than Samsung's D5500 which gives a bit glassy picture's on default settings but when settings of " contrast /brightness/colors with reduced backlit " are adjusted it matches Sony's EX520.

On 720p/1080p - Sony's EX520 gives good PQ but Samsung's D5500 marches ahead in motion related scenes as D5500 has motion rate of 100 in compare of 50's for Sony's .So watching sports and fast movies scenes has better viewing on Samsung.Rest almost all things are evenly matched up both.

Sound Quality - Sony's on this should have done better as its audio fails to match Samsung's D5500.So Samsung is having better audio.

Format and HDD Detection - Sony's EX520 does'nt play .mkv files,it had problems detecting some 1080p .avi files nor does it detects my 1TB NTFS HDD but Samsung has no problems as it plays everything and detects what ever format i throw at it.
I have seen many members asking for inputs and views on comparing Sony EX520 and Samsung D5000 sets but its unfair to compare Sony EX520 with Samsung D5000.....it should be either D5500 or D5900 because Sony's EX520 is at upper end of their LED TV range while Samsung's upper range is D5900.Samsung D5000 is entry level set on Series 5 LED TV's.

To even out it should be Sony's EX410 EX420 on match with Samsung's D5000 & D5500 and Sony's EX520 taking on Samsung D5900.
Now coming on to overall Picture Quality among Sony & Samsung .

Sony has better picture quality than Samsung but with proper settings Samsung LED's matches up with Sony EX520 and Samsung's D5900 has better PQ when i did my little demo in New Delhi due to better motion rate of Samsung's over Sony.

Sony does not play all formats nor its recognize few formatted HDD's but Samsung does.So keep in mind that while getting Sony cost will addup , as you will need a stand alone " Media Player " or HTPC to play all formats and all things....but if getting higher end LED TV is priority then this should not be inconsideration.
Sony has no panel lottery but Samsung has.But believe me circus is made out of all the panel lottery of Samsung.....no one is gonna look for every minute details while watching TV.So TV sets selections should not be hampered by thoughts of what panel prospective buyer is gonna end up while getting Samsung.

Now this one is for those who are looking at Sony EX720 or Samsung Series D6400 Smart TV.

Both are 3D models but again comparison is evenly matched till you come upto motion rate of both sets.Here also Samsung D6400 in my case has 400Hz than 200 of Sony's but PQ is almost same in both with default settings which Samsung 6400 leads due to its high motion rate which makes PQ clearer than Sony's.

Ohh by the way i can see myself on my Samsung Set's:eek:hyeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back