HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

RVK2488 said:
I have purchased Samsung 51D490 - 51" 3D HD Ready plasma few days ago and am extremely happy with the picture quality. The only problem is with reflection but it's not a deal breaker. 3D is also nice..saw IMAX Dolphins and Whales 3D yesterday...it was awesome :O
Bought it for 56k with 2 3D glasses free. If anyone wants any info regarding this model, let me know...
Congrats:) I m also looking for Plasma TV but m concerned about Image Burn-in . Do we need to take any specific precaution to prevent it?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

RVK2488 said:
I have purchased Samsung 51D490 - 51" 3D HD Ready plasma few days ago and am extremely happy with the picture quality. The only problem is with reflection but it's not a deal breaker. 3D is also nice..saw IMAX Dolphins and Whales 3D yesterday...it was awesome :O

Bought it for 56k with 2 3D glasses free. If anyone wants any info regarding this model, let me know...

So hows the TV? i m planning to get 43" D490 plasma. S u r overall satisfied playing HD contents on it?

@techpal

I am extremely satisfied with the picture quality. HD Rips look awesome. Haven't tried any actual Blurays coz I have not purchased Bluray player yet...researching on that. The TV detects my 500GB HDD and plays most of the formats..even plays DTS audio which my previous LG LED TV didn't. It failed to play some 1080p mkv's or .ts files but that's ok. But the picture quality is extremely good considering the fact that it has only 1366*768 resolution on 51" TV. But reflection can be a deal breaker if you cannot have controlled lighting in room or have window right opposite of TV. So check that before you buy 43D490/51D490/51D550. Reflection is the ONLY issue I have faced till now but I was aware of it before buying the TV.

I have Tata Sky HD and the HD channels look great.. SD channels are ok but not at all bad considering its 51".

Regarding Burn In, I have read a lot about it and although modern plasmas don't have that much problem, I have toned down the contrast and brightness levels and will keep it that way for first 100-150 hours. Also I am avoiding videos that have vertical/horizontal black bars for longer periods.. all these are just precautionary measures but I don't think there is much worry about.

btw, I have seen 43D490 in showroom and it looks great especially since it has only 1024*768 resolution. It was right next to 51D550 which is Full HD 51" plasma..and standing at about 4-5 ft, you could see subtle differences in picture quality due to difference in resolution but it wasn't a deal breaker. And 43D490 was doing a great job considering that 51D550 is Full HD and almost 22-23k higher than 43D490. But as I said before, check if reflection is a major issue in your case (based on your room condition) or not. If not, 43D490 is VFM plasma in it's price category.

Thanks man that was well detailed. Was earlier concerned about image burn-in but now i think no need to worry about it. So u made my decision easier ,earlier i was confused between panny 42X30D and sammy 43D490 but in showroom i found pic quality on sammy better so got inclined towards it and u made my decision easier. Thanks again.:)

I have ordered Samsung Blu ray player D5100 for 4990 ,is it good at that price?

1. Budget.~35,000 to 40,000(lower the better)

2. Viewing distance.~10feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.~cable

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.~LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.~samsung/onida/sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?will be going to chennai soon will consider buying if its good deal

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room~.there is lighting from side and opp to TV any tips are appreciated

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.~dlna ,need support for multiple video formats

Is the version no. printed on the outerbox of samsung tv's?

Got myself a samsung 40D550During diwali.
Looks awesome and playback for all blue ray RIP is awesome too.
And as suspected my cousin bro who has a sony bravia too acknowledged it :D
now which stabilizer should i opt for ? Any specific model ?
What about using a spike guard?
Where can i get one and what would be the costs?
Also i asked about the stabilizer to the sales person and then to the samsung demo guy both of them mentioned that in borivali there is no power outages you do not need a stabilizer :S

MX spike guards are cheap and works well. I am using one that has 4 ports and costed me 250 INR. Belkin models are slightly expensive; performs as good as MX models.

You can go with a V-Guard stabiliser. VG Crystal and Crystal Plus models seem to fit your requirements. Stabilizer - Volt Stabilizer | Voltage Stabilizers :: V-Guard

PS: Congrats on the display. What was the price paid? What panel is it btw?

Not sure about the panel.
Do not want to check on that since nothing can be done now :p.
I got it for 41.5k from vijay sales. They were offering a dvd player which i refused so they Gave Me a discount of 800 bucks on that.
Also exchanged it with an aiwa 21 inch tv which too gave Me a 1k discount.

ggt said:
Do not want to check on that since nothing can be done now :p

How hard would it be to take a peek at that sticker at the right side of the panel? :p

Very hard.:p
dont want to be disappointed thats it.
Had seen the SQ in only one showroom that i had gone all others were the HN versions.

I have budget of strictly 40k, so I have chose following TVs , please suggest which one to go for. Requirement is screen size should be minimum 42".

1. Samsung PS43D450 Plasma- 37k

2. Samsung PS43D490 3D Plasma-41k

3. LG 42LK450 LCD TV- 39k

4. LG 42LK430 LCD TV- 41K

Wanted to have Samsung 40D550 in the list but its 2" less screen area going against it. I m upgrading from 32" so want to see the difference in size.:)

^ i would still suggest you see a side by side comparison with the 40D550 and cx420 to notice that 40" inch is worth much more than that of the LG 42" LCD range of similar price band.

BTW seems 1080p scorp releases are not supported playback in 40D550 :( :S

should i be worried?

sasikanth8 said:
1. Budget.~35,000 to 40,000(lower the better)

2. Viewing distance.~10feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.~cable

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.~LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.~samsung/onida/sony

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?will be going to chennai soon will consider buying if its good deal

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room~.there is lighting from side and opp to TV any tips are appreciated

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.~dlna ,need support for multiple video formats
Is the version no. printed on the outerbox of samsung tv's?

give suggestions for me too:huh:

Hello,

We are looking to buy an HDTV for our living room. Right now, we have a 32" Samsung, which we plan to move into my parents' bedroom. Here are some details -

Budget = 70K-80K, although some flexibility is permitted

Viewing distance = ~13 feet

Things to be connected = HD set top box (Tata Sky), PC CPU (via HDMI), 5.1 multimedia speakers (which are right now plugged into the PC via a sound card).

Screen type preference = I can't state for sure because I'm not that well-versed in this. Our primary usage will be watching Tata Sky HD and HD movies via the PC or the TV's USB connectivity (if any). So...which screen type would you guys recommend? Right now, we are looking at LED models.

Brand preference = No overriding brand loyalty, although we have had quite a nice experience with our present Samsung. Don't let brand overrule any other genuine factors.

Willing to purchase it from the grey market? = Nope.

Ambient lighting conditions of the room = Double doors opening into the balcony (which are closed most of the time). They do let quite some sunlight in even when closed though. There are 2 windows in the room, 14ft away from where the TV will be. They are right behind the sofa.

Any other feature = Well, the Smart TVs seem quite attractive.

We live in Nagpur by the way, it that's any help.

For online content the samsung smart tv series will suffice.
Though i dont know what content is present in its smart tv range.
For usb playback feature samsung covers the maximum formats.
You can look for the 40D5000 or the 40D5500.
Alternatively you can get a non smart tv and use a device like wd tv live or likes .

1. Budget. 65k

2. Viewing distance. 12ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. DTH/XBox360

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. LCD/LED

5. Preference for brands. No

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. 3 sides Windows with curtains

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. DLNA not interested in 3D

Right now struck between Samsung LED 40'D5500 and LCD 46'D550..

and Sony 40EX520 worth the extra money ?? will the samsung LED guarantees better SPVA panel ??

1. Budget

2. Viewing distance.
6-8ft min

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
analogue tv,pc

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
nil

5. Preference for brands.
nil

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
NO

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

32 inch preferred,usb support is not important,but would be nice to have.pic quality importand

or 30k budget to buy a lcd tv and ps3. got one offer of 24inch toshiba lcd and ps3 for 27200. 1hdmi and composite in only if my memory correct,no vga.my pc connection got hdmi

1. Budget - 10k to 16k

2. Viewing distance - 6ft to 8ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - Standard DTH/Console (PS3)

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - LCD

5. Preference for brands. - No

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. 2 Windows . 1st to the extreme right with curtains. 2nd a bit to the left on the same wall were the TV will be placed with curtains.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - None

TV is meant for my bedroom and would like to hook up a PS3 to it and existing speakers that have AV In hence would like a 24 inch or 26 inch. The TV will be mostly used for playing on the PS3 but might watch BD DVDs so is HD ready going to make a difference as most 24/26 inches are HD ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back