Audio Introducing Brainwavz M2 -A hands-on preview.

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Sometime back I had reviewed a entry level IEM called Beta Brainwavz Pro from Mp4 nation's in-house brand Brainwavz.Recently MP4 came up with a new mid-segment IEM called the Brainwavz M2 .Unlike the Betas the M2 are targeted more towards the mid-segment buyers ,with a price tag of ~69$.

I was fortunate enough to get a chance to review the M2s before the launch and I was really surprised with the sound these IEMs could produce out of the box without much burn-in.Since the M2s are currently on a pre-order with discounted price of just 49$ shipped , I though of posting a hands on preview instead of full review later so that the guys on TE do not miss out on the great pre-order deal. ;)

I received only the OEM packaging therefore I won't be able to post snaps of the the retail box and complete accessories .Ive got limited accessories which consist of a small hard case similar to the Sound Magic along with 3 silicon tips and a pair of foam tips.

The retail packaging will consists of added accessories which are as follows :

> 3 pairs of different size silicon tips

> 3 pairs of different size foam tips

> pair of ear gliders for over the ear usage

> Round hardcase

> Extra Mofi soft case to carry player + IEMs

(option to chose your own size as well -(L / XL /3XL)

more info :Brainwavz M2 IEM Earphones PREORDER [Brainwavz_M2_PRE] - $49.50 : MP4 Nation!, :: Low Priced MP4, MP3 Players and the latest scoop on the newest MP4 Player

A hands-on preview on the M2s.

p10408031024x768.jpg

p10408091024x768.jpg

p10408171024x768.jpg

p10408201024x768.jpg

p10408221024x768.jpg

p10408241024x768.jpg

p10408321024x768.jpg

p10408121024x768.jpg

The IEMs are built of complete metal housing (no plastic used).A portion of the housing has a very thin rubberized coating in black.The overallbuild of the IEMs is lot more sturdier than their Brainwavz Pro as well as other IEMs in their segment.The design is a generic IEM design.Can be worn over the ear as well as straight down.I prefer wearing it over the ear for a better fit especially while traveling. ;)

The cable is fairly thicker than most cables and also has a braided sort of effect which I can't really explain by words but you can check it out in the snaps below .:ashamed: The cable feels a bit stiff but is really strong.Infact I feel it's the best cable Ive seen in a 50-60$ IEM. It does have a memory effect and the cable will retain its shape no matter what .eg : The cable remains curled up / rounded for sometime after removing it from the round hard case.

The most important part ,Sound :D

I had been told that the M2s don't really need a long burn-in and it turned out to be true. Out of the box these earphones produce a very pleasing sound .

The bass is heavy but in a good way .Bass quantity is greater than PL-50s ,RE-0,RE-1 or infact almost every other IEM Ive tried till date. It doesn't totally classify as a bassheads bass because it's not completely boomy or muddy all the time. It has a decent texture and adds a nice feel to the bass,in short with quantity there's quality as well.Though to be frank during heavy passages it does get boomy and out of control at times. There's slight lack of authority in the bass but to expect a very accurate, textured bass from these would be totally unfair.Its the 200$ RE-252 which get's near to perfect bass not a 50-60$ IEM.

Overall the Bass on the M2s are the best you can get for the money and one of the reasons to recommend a M2 to someone.

The midrange compliments the bass pretty well .Good detailing , upfront and well spaced instruments .It isn't smooth like the midrange in PL-50 but slightly more forward.

The soundstage is one segment where the M2s could've improved upon .Not that its bad but not the best either.It's got good depth but isn't as wide as that on the Head-Direct RE-1 or PL-50s. The soundstage is as good as my RE-0 though so I shouldn't really be complaining.Fairly wide and deep :)

Treble does get slightly overshadowed by the beautiful bass and mid range but the M2s don't sound recessed or treble lacking .Not too sibilant and not too laidback as well. While the Bass and midrange is more upfront , the treble is placed around the bass and midrange. It actually makes the overall sound signature lot more fun and musical instead of analytical or neutral. Overall a smooth moderately detailed treble. In comparison , not as good as the RE-0 which have the most detailed and clear treble but the treble on M2s is very well comparable to that of PL-50 by SoundMagic.Maybe slightly better (will have to do a A/B comparison for that )

Overall with the M2 you get an IEM with amazing but slightly heavy bass , good midrange and decent soundstage & treble extension .Needless to say the magic lies in the lower band of frequencies.

So do I recommend it ?

hmmm ..For the retail price of 60% , I would definitely recommend but at the same time also advice on spending more (if you can) 15-20$ and get something from an upper tier. At the pre-order price of just 49$ , I would say they are a complete steal .Highly recommend them :D

If you are one of those who've been waiting to get rid of your PL-30s, EP-630s etc and upgrade to a mid segment IEMs or incase you've always felt that the PL-30s lacked bass go ahead and buy the M2s before the pre-order ends.

FaH33m said:
It doesn't totally classify as a bassheads bass because it's not completely boomy or muddy all the time.

You just insulted bassheads here. :p

Anyways, these look to have great build quality.

Yeah, the build quality in those pics really stands out.

I guess that in a way psychologically puts you in a different state of mind.

$69 ? these look easily $100 or more.

Build quality wise , Yes they even give my 200$ RE-252 a run for its money but keeping that aside the Sound is perfectly suitable for the 70-100$ price range, nothing more.

It's just that at 49$ ,I find them to be a really amazing deal. 49$ is the current on-going pre-order offer price which will last only till Mp4Nation has it's stock ready and starts shipping out.Once them have the complete stock read to ship , the price will go to 69$ most probably.

MP4Nation.net sent one earphone to me as well.

Since Faheem has already posted quite a few nice pics I will add just one more.

My initial impressions is that as Faheem mentioned, this IEM doesn't require burn-in whatsoever. It sounded great out of the box and it still sounds great even now after using it for around 20 hours.

I will compare this IEM with my other 3 IEMS - VB, Woody 2 and RE1 which all more expensive than the Brainwavz M2.

From my initial impressions I like the M2 better than the VB and the Woody 2 and its pretty close to the RE1 when amped.

Will post once I do a more detailed comparison between the 4.

Other than the soundstage , does the M2 really come close to the RE-1 ? Wow that's a remarkable feat, especially since they don't need amping. *I haven't tried amping them yet. Did you try it with your P3 ?

Yes I did. :)

Amping (using the right OPAMPS) does tighten the bass to my liking and improves the highs (these are all small improvements).

So the bass on the M2 is better than the bass on the RE1.

Highs are again pretty close IMO as even the RE1 has poor highs.

But of course when you take into considering the soundstage then its the RE1 thats the winner all the way. However the M2 puts up a good fight as vocals sound sweet on the RE1. So its like this M2 > RE1 (bass), M2 = RE1 (treble), M2 >=RE1 (mids). RE1 >> M2 (soundstage and imaging).

So the M2 wins on 2 accounts and is equal to the RE1 on one account. And you have to consider that the RE1 was selling at $139 a few months back !

^ In that case the M2s are indeed a steal . Maybe I should try a comparison with the RE-0 as well, though I doubt it would give RE-0 a fight in terms od clarity,detailing and treble extension. The mids are ofcourse much more smoother on the M2 and bass is better ;).

BF1983 said:
Nah, the M2 is a complimentary earphone to the RE0 as they have very different sound signatures while its more of a competitor to the RE1 due to the similar sound signature.

On another note, ClieOS gave it a Sonic diamond on head-fi - :D

Multiple IEM Shootout v.3 - Head-Fi.org Community

I guess the M2s have a better treble extension than the RE-1 hence I thought of comparing it to the RE-0 as well. RE-1 is by far the most treble lacking IEM's Ive ever tried still I love its amazing soundstage and beautiful midrange ! :D

A Sonic Diamond ... hmmm it was given to a Eterna's as well and they turned out to be totally different after we tried it out , but this one for sure deserves it. Maybe we should have our own ratings,award and a single thread for all IEMs on TE.

viralbug said:
Interesting. Wish I had received a sample too.

Metalspree wishes for the same :rofl: .I will see if I can do something about it . ;).

Bump ..and an update. These are again available for ~49$. Grab it guys ..No other IEM under 4k can really match it's performance :D .

^ Almost same level .Completely different sound signature. ;). VB has better quality bass . M2 has smoother mids .Treble can't really recollect, but VB has lot of sibilance initially. :ashamed:. Soundstage also M2 is better from what I recollect .

VB is really good , give it some time(70-100hrs) to open up and the sibilance to go away.

Well with my RE1s dead, I have shifted back to the M2s and I am still amazed at how good they sound.

For $49 they are a real steal ! I had compared them with my $91 Crossroads Woodies and the Woodies are beaten hollow in detailing and mid range. The Woodies redeem themselves in the bass but considering they retail for twice the cost of the M2s they should have sounded much better. :p

@Xanthor - I had both the M2s and the VBs and IMHO, the VBs had probably the best bass available in an IEM for anything less than $150. It reached really really low and it never sounded bloated or muddy at any time.

That said the M2s have a much better mid range (probably the best that I have heard in an IEM) and its no slouch either in the bass dept but IMO not up to the standard of the VBs. The VBs ARE sibilant and if you listen to music with a lot of vocals then you will be disappointed at first. The VBs need a good burn-in of about 100 hours for the sibilance to reduce. Soundstage wise the VB is slightly better than the M2s.

Back