Movie Critics Thread

madnav

Skilled
Alright, we have all come across movies which make no sense or are so stupid...stupidly overhyped for no reasons unknown to the mankind. :mad:

I have very low tolerance to stupidity thus im starting this thread,..and im very sure this is the right place :p

Spread the awareness by criticizing the movies...save your brothers on the forum from undergoing that stupidity.. :ashamed:

well ppl can criticize movies..i have no problem with that but the so called movie critics in our country are hypocrites...i dont trust them at all....and i have no idea wht they expect in a movie and neways most of the movies depend on individual tastes and every single person will have a different opinion.

yes, there are pathetic movies but even for these pathetic movies there goes a lot of handwork to make a movie.lot time, money goes into making a movie...a movie takes months to years to complete and struggle to make a movie release...

so i usually don't criticize any movies but give my opinion as i liked it or not.

Agree with @intacto. A lot of effort goes into making films. It is all easy to say it is crap, or like our very intelligent Masand would like to say, 'the filmmaker was lazy', but it ain't easy work. Try managing a company with different people running amok and it is akin to that. This is in fact even less organised. Khaled Mohammed and Kunal Kohli learnt it the hard way. One stopped being a critic after that, and the other stopped making films

A simple 'I liked it' or 'I didn't like it' is much better IMO.

@agantuk true..kahlid mohammad was a good writer(zubeida,sardari begum)...and when he made his first movie i remember other critics slammed his movie left and right...and now a days critics like mayank shekar,rajeev masand force their opinion that the movie was 'bad' repeatedly. in this aspect taran adarsh is much better.

intacto said:
so i usually don't criticize any movies but give my opinion as i liked it or not.
that may sound a lil bit diplomatic.

It is not like they are doing some charity work. Everything takes efforts and things are not judged on the basis of the efforts.

intacto said:
@agantuk true..kahlid mohammad was a good writer(zubeida,sardari begum)...and when he made his first movie i remember other critics slammed his movie left and right...and now a days critics like mayank shekar,rajeev masand force their opinion that the movie was 'bad' repeatedly. in this aspect taran adarsh is much better.
Yes. Taran used to be even better earlier, but has now started bending according to his ties. He also does not consider himself a critic, and he is right, because he is a trade analyst and speaks mostly from the aam junta's POV.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

madnav said:
Everything takes efforts and things are not judged on the basis of the efforts.
I don't quite agree. Someone puts in a lot of effort and comes up with an application lets say. Being the creator, he obviously has an attachment to it and thinks its pretty good - quite natural. Now he puts it out in the open for comments, and he gets reviews like 'this is crap', 'you know sh1t about coding', 'who on earth told you to be a programmer', or so on. This is just an example. It can be anyone, a photographer, an architect, heck a driver who takes the utmost care on bad roads. There are subtler ways of saying the same thing with the same effect

You have to be critical about the movies now.
Because a ticket to a movie hall aint cheap now.
People spend more than 1k for a couple ticket over a weekend so they ought to know whether it is worth that value.
Also if you put the "effort" into perspective then why do we do reviews on our forum.
Is it not to educate the people about the value each item brings along with it.
So then do you buy an intex psu for a gtx 580 because apparently intex people have put in their efforts in making their psu?

Gripe# 1 - Action paced Hindi movies have too much Slow motion.

I do not like Hindi Action movies. Not comparing budget/tech skill w/ Hollywood but Action sequences are supposed to be "Fast Paced", there are many exceptions to this.

But each and every Hindi movie has "Super Slo-Mo" fight sequences which is such a buzzkill, no wonder Hindi movies are 3 hours long.

^ Haha. I guess one reason for that is Indian films are yet to witness fast paced action sequences. The slomos are actually intended to convey that it is a super fast scene and is being slowed down so one can catch it right :D

Slow motion is the reason they can pass off any action sequence as believeable.
Those dabanng and wanted action scenes imagine their impact had it been done in realtime.

agantuk said:
Yes. Taran used to be even better earlier, but has now started bending according to his ties. He also does not consider himself a critic, and he is right, because he is a trade analyst and speaks mostly from the aam junta's POV.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I don't quite agree. Someone puts in a lot of effort and comes up with an application lets say. Being the creator, he obviously has an attachment to it and thinks its pretty good - quite natural. Now he puts it out in the open for comments, and he gets reviews like 'this is crap', 'you know sh1t about coding', 'who on earth told you to be a programmer', or so on. This is just an example. It can be anyone, a photographer, an architect, heck a driver who takes the utmost care on bad roads. There are subtler ways of saying the same thing with the same effect
Not really. Microsoft, Ubisoft, google, symantec if i can list a few...all get criticized and derailed.

Do you think they do not put efforts?

Even Free and opensource linux distros get criticized.

You can not improvise if you put a happy face on everything.

and as ggt mentioned, if you are paying for a ticket worth that much then you do have a right to be critical about it.

Art is to be appreciated, i understand. But it is not just art when it is commercial.

Let us not discuss whether it is to be criticized or not in this thread. Let us keep it about what it is. You may request a mod to split and part the discussion to a new thread if you wish to debate, i dont not mind debating at all.

Aman27deep said:
Precious (English movie) - Utterly stupid movie, very depressing too.
If we're gonna submit one-liner reviews then I really don't see the point of this thread as compared to the "Rate the last movie you saw" thread

@aman

try to be descriptive...

like...what according to you was stupid?

so that people will have something to judge your opinion too!! :) ;)

madnav said:
Alright, we have all come across movies which make no sense or are so stupid...stupidly overhyped for no reasons unknown to the mankind. :mad:

I have very low tolerance to stupidity thus im starting this thread,..and im very sure this is the right place :p

Spread the awareness by criticizing the movies...save your brothers on the forum from undergoing that stupidity.. :ashamed:

What might be stupid to you is certainly the source of incessant humour for most of the movie going public judging by hits like the Golmaal series, Anees Bamzee flicks and may be some David Dhawan ones too (most of them hammered by critics). I share your aversion to this stupidity but i am pretty sure people like us know beforehand what a movie is going to be like. Dont think any one needs to be warned or saved as such. Expressing views, well that is certainly welcome.

And stupid is not always off-putting, Andaz Apna Apna is a cult classic today but was pretty much derided for its looneyness back then when it was released.

ggt said:
You have to be critical about the movies now.

Because a ticket to a movie hall aint cheap now.

People spend more than 1k for a couple ticket over a weekend so they ought to know whether it is worth that value.

Also if you put the "effort" into perspective then why do we do reviews on our forum.

Is it not to educate the people about the value each item brings along with it.

So then do you buy an intex psu for a gtx 580 because apparently intex people have put in their efforts in making their psu?

An Intex PSU is bad, even if i like it with all my heart. There is nothing relative about its badness so to say. Can you say the same about a movie where it is a matter of tastes. So bad movies will have their own set of supporters vis-a-vis good movies, its subjective here.

I follow movie reviews occasionally but have to admit their biggest advantage is you get to hear about excellent films like Udaan, DevD, Do Dooni Chaar which get their due attention/publicity through these reviews.

Back