Movie Critics Thread

chiron said:
^^ how dare they criticize something that took so much effort to make. And that too in 3d... we should at least refrain from criticizing 3d movies.

Also, If we don't, remember me.

tumblr_lg1ke9NgY61qe0eclo1_r7_500.gif
criticism is as crucial as gratification.

are we just watching the quality animation or a story ?

same way, criticizing story does not necessarily speak for quality of animation and vice versa . same can be said about different aspects of any art form.

just being objective to the product than sentimental to the process.

Searched gunda on to download and title read it as
"bollywood cult classic gunda"
guess that sums up the movie.
On a side note i did not find any source with better resolution so had to watch it on my mobile.
Even then i enjoyed it :eek:hyeah:

Calling Gunda epic is an understatement. Seriously Oscar level stuff. Especially Bulla for his rhyming skills, Lambu aata for his expressions and the dialogue and script writers for making all that possible.

There was another Kanti shah movie around the same time with Mithun which was just as awesome, cant recall the name now.

boogeyman said:
Are you jealous that you didn't get the same response for Matrix? :p
naah... what i meant was that this thread is for criticism :) :p gunda can not be criticized... it is beyond perfection. period.

madnav said:
naah... what i meant was that this thread is for criticism :) :p gunda can not be criticized... it is beyond perfection. period.
Absolutely true... but the fact that we're praising a movie like Gunda in this thread should be criticism enough for the normal movies :p

imo yarukku yaro was a more enjoyable experience than gunda (which starts to drag once mithun makes his appearence) though both are genius.

Another film i like to mention
ghajini
many thought it was loosely based on the memento.
That movie was lying with me for quite a while.
So watched it, loved it , expected something similar or better but was hugely disappointed.
My reasons.
Too much drama.
I felt the villian was an honest and good guy and was repenting the loss of the hero's girlfriend. :gap:
because earlier he used to be heavily armed with all the latest guns prior to the first attack to him .
Then when he learns that there is some enemy wanting to kill him he drains his stock of bullets and guns :lol:
he does a free of cost tattoo removal surgery for the hero.
And in the climax defends himself with a scrap metal and wooden logs.
If he had to kill the hero he could have just got a gun and shot him but no a high profile gangster moves along with his security with wooden logs.

chiron said:
Its in Tamil but I think it transcends language and acting quite well.
it transcends human comprehension. This is the movie that showed me watching bad movie may not be a bad experience. Sam anderson is the real Mr. Anderson. He is the Anomaly and the One

agantuk said:
Agree with @intacto. A lot of effort goes into making films. It is all easy to say it is crap, or like our very intelligent Masand would like to say, 'the filmmaker was lazy', but it ain't easy work. Try managing a company with different people running amok and it is akin to that. This is in fact even less organised. Khaled Mohammed and Kunal Kohli learnt it the hard way. One stopped being a critic after that, and the other stopped making films

A simple 'I liked it' or 'I didn't like it' is much better IMO.

Agree to disagree.

Film making and managing people might be a tough job but that's what one is setting out to do, then do it properly, or atleast make an effort.

Our Movie Industry is a joke. You like a song, start humming it and the total dumb chick in your group would name the original song and ask you.. So you are singing the song by that american/english/spanish/australian aboriginal singer eh? Nice song.

And you are the personification of total social pariah if you dare say what u were doing.

I always say that Andaz apna apna is a good movie but not a classic in the true sense.

Sad thing being that it had everything needed to churn out a classic comedy so cheesy, that you would love to watch it for every thing from direction to goofy acting to every thing you see in credits. But the story remains that the direction was really not that high level. There were far too many dips in the tempo to really keep watching it the moment somebody told me it was coming on xyz channel.

Say something like Ducktales.. if that thing is on air right now, i ll drop everything and watch that. Even though i have seen every single ep countless times but the thing is Awesome in every sense of the word. No wonder even Sr members would go to any length to get the Ducktales on a coaster in any format atm. Ditto for Talespin.

If you set out to do a job, atleast use past experience and churn out something good. Or atleast try.

Our 'artist' just know how to create hype and ride the wave till their pockets go empty again.

James Bond movie 18 - Tomorrow never dies

1:50:20 - T-1min

1:51:00 - Chinese agent is dropped into the water

1:51:10 - T-40sec

Dhishum Dhishum

Bong dives into the water and gives mouth to mouth resuscitation to the drowned chinese agent

1:53:09 - 3

1:53:11 - 2

1:53:13 - 1

Boom..

The resuscitation appears like a kiss now...

1:53:58 - Both out of the Water..

Moral of the Story: Don't rely on things made in china..They can not stay for even 3mins under water....anything else?

similar things in most Bond movies with bombs with timers...

Spacescreamer said:
Agree to disagree.

Film making and managing people might be a tough job but that's what one is setting out to do, then do it properly, or atleast make an effort.

Our Movie Industry is a joke. You like a song, start humming it and the total dumb chick in your group would name the original song and ask you.. So you are singing the song by that american/english/spanish/australian aboriginal singer eh? Nice song.

And you are the personification of total social pariah if you dare say what u were doing.

I always say that Andaz apna apna is a good movie but not a classic in the true sense.

Sad thing being that it had everything needed to churn out a classic comedy so cheesy, that you would love to watch it for every thing from direction to goofy acting to every thing you see in credits. But the story remains that the direction was really not that high level. There were far too many dips in the tempo to really keep watching it the moment somebody told me it was coming on xyz channel.

Say something like Ducktales.. if that thing is on air right now, i ll drop everything and watch that. Even though i have seen every single ep countless times but the thing is Awesome in every sense of the word. No wonder even Sr members would go to any length to get the Ducktales on a coaster in any format atm. Ditto for Talespin.

If you set out to do a job, atleast use past experience and churn out something good. Or atleast try.

Our 'artist' just know how to create hype and ride the wave till their pockets go empty again.
Agree on Ducktales part.

Back