Movie Critics Thread

Something I wrote sometime back :p Just to lighten the mood of the thread

Movie Review
Name : wth I forgot the name ..... ahh hmmm yes it was 'The Proposal' as if you couldn't get a more obvious name for a romantic movie.

theproposalposter.jpg

But Sandra Bullock is a major romantic comedy star of Hollywood with estimated fortune of 85 mill (source wiki) who is what I would call an expert in these kind of movies and I have to admit are pretty good time pass movies with a happy endings. Awesome to relax after office or an hectic day for that matter. Today wasn't hectic so it was just time pass.

Spoiler alert here
The movie has a simple plot about a major book publishing company editor who is considered a b**ch in office who is so busy that she forgets to follow up on her immigration process and is about to be deported back so she blackmails her assistant to agree to marry her in order to get a citizenship. Immigration officer threatens to find the truth- they take a vacation to Alaska to know more about each other - she sees his family - finds out he is rich - he has prob with dad and comes home in 3 years yet he seems so connected to his family :p - dad says take care of business I have money you are my only son - he goes angry as his dad doesn't understand him- wants to be a writer blah blah New York elite - rich little kid is angry goes ballistic on a boat - mom angry at dad - 2nd day family asks if they can marry tomorrow (are u kidding me 3 days and you get married) - 90 year old grandma says I have had 89 birthdays I wants to see a grandson get married -they say yes - some preparation and Alaska (trivia : Its not Alaska its Rockport Massachusetts) is shown as a beautiful place with dial up internet one stripper cum general store attendant cum priest. Bullock loses her strong woman image and cries and stuff - falls off a boat - dad comes to know of the reality asks his son to confess - Ryan's character the hero says no - But at the altar bullock's character Margaret has a sudden moral awakening - confesses and leaves him at the alter - needs to go to Canada next day - Guy realises he loves her - Goes after but misses plane - reaches office - proposes - they kiss - the end.

Hollywood Cliches used
1) Cute dog
2) Cool grandma
3) Naked guy and girl accidentally bumping
4) Rich guy who lives separately to pursue dream
5) Workaholic emotion less girl who actually is a softie
6) A psychotic Indian guy who gets fired and goes ballistic
7) A govt officer who acts like an idiot
8) A tough dad who softens up
9) Mom who is so good and understanding
10) A ex hot girlfriend at the wedding
11) A non native American with a foreign accent who has an idiosyncratic behaviour
12) Happy ending with hero coming and kissing the girl in the end
13) Credits with some funny dialogues which made the audience stay and block my path as I tried to exit the hall.

What I liked about the movie
1) The camera work - Awesome depth of field in most scenes
2) Natural scenery
3) Sandra Bullock
4) The boats used :) Loved the boats
5) Keeping it simple and not trying to experiment with something which is nothing more than a simple romantic movie

All in all a simple romantic feel good movie.

movies are an art form , there is never bad or good , it is upto your personal perception , i have personally come across several " bad " films which i have liked and enjoyed and i am sure my"bad " films that others have enjoyed immensely ....if you wanted a specific example , i gnawed my eyes and banged my head for trying to watch pather pachali , but then its hailed as a great movie ,

so yea try to read up about the movie ,if you like it , great and if you dont , shut it and move on .... why do you have follow someone else's opinion?

eternoMind said:
An Intex PSU is bad, even if i like it with all my heart. There is nothing relative about its badness so to say. Can you say the same about a movie where it is a matter of tastes. So bad movies will have their own set of supporters vis-a-vis good movies, its subjective here.
I follow movie reviews occasionally but have to admit their biggest advantage is you get to hear about excellent films like Udaan, DevD, Do Dooni Chaar which get their due attention/publicity through these reviews.
i agree with the bad movies and their supporters.
Therefore i Gave an example for the intex psu :p.
Because even i had an iball psu which took great care of my p4 pc with an nvidia tnt2 for about for 8 years before calling it quits.
So in all i try to Say is that this can be used by us members to mention what they expected from the movie from the promos and what they felt after watching the movie.

kippu said:
movies are an art form , there is never bad or good , it is upto your personal perception , i have personally come across several " bad " films which i have liked and enjoyed and i am sure my"bad " films that others have enjoyed immensely ....if you wanted a specific example , i gnawed my eyes and banged my head for trying to watch pather pachali , but then its hailed as a great movie ,
so yea try to read up about the movie ,if you like it , great and if you dont , shut it and move on .... why do you have follow someone else's opinion?
if you find some critic who matches your taste in movies then isn't it better to watch the movies they recommend of finding out the hard way?

madnav said:
@aman

try to be descriptive...

like...what according to you was stupid?

so that people will have something to judge your opinion too!! :) ;)
boogeyman said:
If we're gonna submit one-liner reviews then I really don't see the point of this thread as compared to the "Rate the last movie you saw" thread
I'll just quote.

This movie was disappointing. Disturbing. It got under my skin, and failed at becoming the wonderful film I wished it to be.

For those who have suffered experiences of abuse, my sympathy is genuine, and my heart really goes out to the pain and difficulties that must be endured in an attempt to overcome that. I also understand that Ms. Winfrey and Mr. Perry, as victims of molestation, really felt that the story of Clareece "Precious" Jones really needed to be shared.

Yes, some stories are important for audiences to see and understand. Yes, it's important that not every movie is a fairy tale, and that reality is portrayed to the fullest. But damn. I couldn't blame the people in front of me at the theatre that walked out about 30 minutes into it. It was TOUGH to watch Mo'Nique's character cuss and beat and demean her daughter. It was tough to hear the internal defeated dialogue of the main character, played by Gabby Sidibe.

chiron said:
if you find some critic who matches your taste in movies then isn't it better to watch the movies they recommend of finding out the hard way?

Exactly. Honestly there is not even a single good critique blog. I think we TEians should start one. Writing a paragraph or two won't hurt. :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

OT: ggt's siggy: It takes one amitabh bachhan to sell a diamond but 3 abhishek bachhans to sell a sim card. - Hahaha! :p

kippu said:

because we are jobless and I would find it more amusing and helpful than talking about a proper shampoo for growing hair, how much to spend on wedding etc etc.

Jaani Dushman - Ek Anokhi Kahani.....err what else am i supposed to say for this ??

Btw GUNDA is one EPIC movie of all time, Ibu Hatela, Lamboo Aata, Pote, Ch*tiya and yes Bulla...karta hoon sab Khulla

raksrules said:
Jaani Dushman - Ek Anokhi Kahani.....err what else am i supposed to say for this ??

Btw GUNDA is one EPIC movie of all time, Ibu Hatela, Lamboo Aata, Pote, Ch*tiya and yes Bulla...karta hoon sab Khulla
OMG!!! I thought I won't find anyone else who found this movie epic.

“Mera naam Ibu Hatela, Ma meri chudail ki beti, baap mera shaitan ka chela, khayega kela?”

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Main hoon jurm se nafrat karne waala, shareefon ke liye jyoti, goondon ke liye jwaala

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

after so much hype from friends..I finally decided to watch 'The Matrix'

for a movie made in that time, it may have been great; but it was too melodramatic and would fit as a bollywood movie.

Neo: What is The Matrix?
Morpheus: It can be explained in less than 2 hours but i'm gonna make you listen to my crap 1st... Then make you eat the Red Pill...then Sodomize and dominate you (coz u r then one..yeah, everyone on the ship is gay for you Neo..)

IF you can understand the matrix in 2hrs, a 2hr movie then i suppose it would have been easy for morpheus to just explain.. I would have taken the blue pill, he totally tricked him n abused him.

Technical and Logical difficulties:

If you bleed outside the matrix for being hit in a combat inside the matrix then how come you do not bleed for being shot?

If people copulate inside the matrix... does the woman gets pregnant outside the matrix too?
If yes, then that is a damn good spermy software.
If no, then does the born software baby insid the matrix have any emotion?

Agents shown in the matrix were supposed to be softwares, yet they exhibit emotion, they have sense of existence. Pretty advanced coding it must be.

Neo: If we die inside the matrix then do we die? (outside the matrix too)
Morpheus: The Body can not live without a mind.
...coma anybody ?

I felt like I have wasted my time. Not for the technical/logical faults. But i simply could not enjoy it the way it was made..which intern led me to find technical/logical faults.

The movie was hyped within itself by the actors.... like when there is training fight within the simulation where morpheus and neo fights.. and the crew members are overjoyed about it vocally... That was just lame.

Okay, I've had sort of a revelation as to why I hate Salman's movies so much when I seem to absolutely love things like Gunda. Its similar to comparing those loud indian comedy shows to amazing US sitcoms that are available. The normal public gets excited with them coz they don't know the high levels that others have reached. For them, mediocrity is the best they have access to and they are satisfied, even happy & content with it.

This was the same story some years ago when remix videos with skimpily clad women like Chadhti Jawani, Kaanta Laga, Kaliyon ka Chaman etc.(Forgive me for not mentioning better examples as I'm not in touch with them :ashamed:) had come out. People went ga-ga over it to no end. I knew how to get "stuff" from torrents and failed to understand what the big deal was :p.

Same is the case with Salman's movies. People don't know that better things exist. He says one dialogue with Cheddi Singh and then makes a joke about multiple holes in the body with the puchword being "Paadh" (fart). This makes the crowd go nuts and they clap and whistle and speak the dialogue as if they were Salman themselves. Lets compare that to Gunda. Every dialogue is painstakingly thought to put sidey-ness into it. If that was not enough VFM they made the dialogues rhyme!!! Any dialogue which rhymes increases its punchline effect by at least 10 times in my book :D. And boss what an effect. This is what I call pure entertainment. No stupid excuses saying that this movie is "ok for a one-time watch". This masterpiece can be watched multiple times, again and again. The dialogues become funnier, the conflict more thrilling, the characters more vicious and of-course, Mithunda, more... er... Mithun-like (there aren't adjectives to describing actors like Mithunda. Their names are adjectives in itself :D).

If you guys have doubts about my judgement of the dialogues, I'll let you decide for yourselves. Apart from the absolute gems mentioned 2-3 posts above, here are some more:

(The intros come at 3:45)
Bulla introduction:
Mera naam hai Bulla,
Rakhta hoon main Khulla

Ch*tiya (the hair kind) introduction:
Mera naam hai Ch*tiya,
Achon-achon ki main khadi karta hoon khatiya

Pote (po-tay) introduction:
Mera naam hai Pote
Jo apne baap ke bhi nahin hotay.

Ibu-Hatela Introduction:
Mera naam hai Ibu Hatela,
Maa meri chudail ke beti,
Baap mera shaitan ka chela,
(pointing downwards) Khayega kela?
Pote to Bulla and Ch*tiya:
Zalzala jaag chuka hai,
sab ko pata chalega ki gang-war start hone waala hai,
Laashein is tarah se tapkegi
jaise nanhe munne bacche ke nunni se pishaab tapakti hai
Tup tup !!

Here is drama. Bulla's sister has been raped and killed and this incident is responsible for planting the seed of evil inside the man

Did you say you want action? Well here is Mithun putting all Bollywood + Hollywood action heroes to shame.

I'll leave you to discover the rest of this magnum opus yourself. There has never been a movie like this before. Trust me. There never will be one like this again.

[video=google;4533128454129747129]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4533128454129747129#[/video]

XTechManiac said:
Exactly. Honestly there is not even a single good critique blog. I think we TEians should start one. Writing a paragraph or two won't hurt. :)

Have you tried Sahil Rizwan's "The Vigil Idiot" blog? Also Greatbong is good when he gets to reviewing movies. Both have reviewed "Haunted" recently, I have read greatbong's review and its hilarious and am about to read Sahil's. Here are the links.
The Vigil Idiot: Unintentionally Funny, Must-Watch Bollywood Movies: Haunted

GreatBong : Haunted 3D—The Review

And to all the people debating whether movies should be criticized, Please stop taking movies and yourself so seriously! Chill its just fun :peace:

Back