Need Wireless Modem Router Within Rs 3000

8dbi wont help much, its also the transmitted power that matters. Beyond 5dbi, omnidirectional seldom help, you will need directional antenna to boost the coverage but that has limitation of very low angle of coverage as dbi increases.

Was thinking about directional but that will work only if his apartment is like train coaches.

Best would be to try default and if it does not work then go with the 8dBi. Since he's coming from single anenna models, he will be moving to two antenna models. So it should be better than what he had, whether it will be enough i don't know.

let him try it out and let us know.

Asus N13, but it will be similar to the tp-links. Reason to recommend those particular tp-links is because they have a chipset from the same company as the n13. And the tp-links have a slight edge here because their antennas can be upgraded whereas the n13's cannot.

if you got acceptable performance through 3 walls at 30 feet with your previous single antenna netgear model (2dBi antenna?) then i think the tp-links should manage 40 feet with default. The 8961 should do it. Otherwise you can get the 8dBi antennas. Bear in mind with 8dBi you get a better focused beam, so if you're looking for coverage on a top floor it will be weaker, this is strictly for the same floor only.

See this

5dBi->8dBi is a a smaller boost (+3dB)than 3dBi->8dBi (+5dB) or more range than the 8968 for the same price.

Last edited:
Asus N13, but it will be similar to the tp-links. Reason to recommend those particular tp-links is because they have a chipset from the same company as the n13.
Asus N13U vs Engenius ESR7750. Ralink RT3052 wireless chipset used in both.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...erver/961-300mbps-dual-band-wireless-n-router

(There's also a possibility that the N13U results aren't accurate since it has unusually high speeds in Location F even versus its elder sibling the N16 and even matches routers with RF power amps.)

Sometimes changing the wireless channel in your router helps too with packet loss, this is especially true if there are multiple wi-fi networks around you. Good channels normally are 1, 6 and 11, but try with others too. If you have an android phone, there is app called wi-fi analyser which can help you decide on better channel.

Also if you are facing heating problems, try to change the router orientation and let it stand on its legs vertically. Wall mounting the router or letting it sit horizontally on a desk restricts airflow and cause heat up.

Asus N13U vs Engenius ESR7750. Ralink RT3052 wireless chipset used in both.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...erver/961-300mbps-dual-band-wireless-n-router
Chipset by the same company. Not the same chipset.

N13 has RT3052.
8961V2 has RT5392 (duno about V3 but expect its similar and is the one available currently)

So the more appropriate comparison would be with the ESR750H rather than than ESR7750 as discussed earlier.

This matches the accounts of people with both the N13 & 8961 having a tough time deciding which was better.

(There's also a possibility that the N13U results aren't accurate since it has unusually high speeds in Location F even versus its elder sibling the N16 and even matches routers with RF power amps.)
The N16 can handle more load (gigabit ethernet ports so better wired performance with RAM to match) but it does not do as well with range. Internal antenna design of the N13 does better than the external of the N16. I think Tim's results are good.

Last edited:
8961V2 has RT5392 (duno about V3 but expect its similar and is the one available currently)

So the more appropriate comparison would be with the ESR750H rather than than ESR7750 as discussed earlier.
My point exactly. You cannot simply compare routers just because they use the same chipset.
If you say its alright to substitute the ESR750H for the 8961 in benchmarks, would it be alright to substitute the 7750 for the N13U in the benchmarks?

I'm not even sure what to say about chipsets performing the same if they're from the same company :confused:

My point exactly. You cannot simply compare routers just because they use the same chipset.
Went with what guest_999 said about it.

tp-link is as good as asus & sometimes even better as per some users who have used both asus rt-n13u b1 & tp-link 300mbps wifi router as far as range is concerned
The data matches that. Don't know whether guest_999 is referring to the 8961v2 or 8961 v3. Maybe v2.

If you say its alright to substitute the ESR750H for the 8961 in benchmarks, would it be alright to substitute the 7750 for the N13U in the benchmarks?
Not saying its alright to substitute, but with empircal evidence a case can be made.

In this case its fortunate we can actually see the difference.

I'm not even sure what to say about chipsets performing the same if they're from the same company :confused:
Ralinks have been doing quite well. Cannot find any definite comfirmation whether the 8961v3 has a ralink though. My comments above apply to 8961v2. Thing is ralink has acquired Mediatek, so unless a positive confirmation can be made as to the v3 chipset, maybe its safer to go with the 8968 or N13. Given the unresolved heating issue better to seperate out modem from router and go with N13.

[DOUBLEPOST=1378116520][/DOUBLEPOST]
TP link 8968 covers 1200 sq feet house ,strong signal every corner of the house( the router is kept in a corner ,not in the middle)...
Any chance for you to compare the 8968 with an N13 ?

Last edited:
The important thing is it should not heat up after a few hours of usage making the connection unstable.
Want to go to town with this heating business.

The simple reason your device heats up is that it cannot cool itself adequately. As to why that happens there are a number of reasons.

- the design of the device itself, does not allow adequate ventilation, uses cheaper CPU that just run hot
- the ambient temperature in your room
- where you position the device, is it next to other hot devices in a poorly ventilated area.

Currently, I own a Netgear Wireless Modem Router DGN1000 and it heats up after a couple of hours of usage in summer and becomes unstable after that. Also, the range is not that good and a few websites including techenclave won't open whenever I use this router. I got this from the service centre in exchange for the Netgear Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router Model DG834G which had the same problem of heating. Though with it, I could access all the sites and its range was better.
What happens here is the device gets hot and cannot maintain a stable connection. Extended overheating like this affects the tolerances of the components leading to their failure over time. The product isn't defective per se rather the design is and its not suitable for your environment.

Check out these videos by people that have this model

Netgear DG834Gv5 Modem: Burning Up
Netgear DG834Gv5 ADSL2+ Modem Router Cooling Mod
SpoonyFix: DG834Gv1 Cooling Solution
NetGear modem/router Cooling mod

Evidently this is a model with a design problem (easy bake) if people have to go to the extent of making mods just to keep it working. Looking around for overheating and tp-link or asus i don't see any videos.

Initially i thought the combo of modeml+router is too much to handle in our hot climate. But there are models out there that maybe don't have the same problem to this extent. Will start a thread so that we get a better idea.

I followed this discussion and since i too want to buy a wireless router with modem for my multistorey home. If we compare TP-Link W8968 and Belkin N300 ADSL2 Router Modem. Which one wins the race ?

flipkart will deliver to you but if you need service you may have to courier to other cities.
That is why I am searching for a local dealer. Saves me the hassle of couriering the modem. The TP Link sales guy said that he will get back to me with the name of a local dealer but no calls from him so far.

Back