Need Wireless Modem Router Within Rs 3000

Suggest a good wireless modem router within Rs 3000. The important thing is it should not heat up after a few hours of usage making the connection unstable. Currently, I own a Netgear Wireless Modem Router DGN1000 and it heats up after a couple of hours of usage in summer and becomes unstable after that. Also, the range is not that good and a few websites including techenclave won't open whenever I use this router. I got this from the service centre in exchange for the Netgear Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router Model DG834G which had the same problem of heating. Though with it, I could access all the sites and its range was better.

In future go for just router not for dsl modem+router because every modem+router i saw came with some issues. I also own that piece of Netgear s**t i dumped that router after having similar heat and no internet over wifi issues.

Buy Asus rt n-13 or any linksys e series dual band router and install custom firmware and you will not have issue.Some Routers get heated such as my linksys e3200 duriing the summer but it won't give any issue when it gets heated.

I'd suggest TP Link 8968. I'm presently using that router. Last week I started my PC on Friday night after returning home from office. And it was continuously on till Monday morning, then I turned it off before going to office on monday.

Also it have EWAN and USB Support along with two 3dBi Antennas, which makes it future proof. You can upgrade it to 8dBi Antennas which are sold by TP Link seperately if you need more coverage.

I'd suggest TP Link 8968. I'm presently using that router. Last week I started my PC on Friday night after returning home from office. And it was continuously on till Monday morning, then I turned it off before going to office on monday.

Also it have EWAN and USB Support along with two 3dBi Antennas, which makes it future proof. You can upgrade it to 8dBi Antennas which are sold by TP Link seperately if you need more coverage.
Wrong. It has 2 5 dBi antaenna, i use the same one.

How's the range of the TP Link 8968?
Similar to the asus n13-b1. If you know what that is. In fact if you don't need the usb port you can go for the 8961. It has the same performance for cheaper. We can't answer the range question until you tell us how much range you need and what the intervening obstacles ie walls are.

Am beginning to think the heating issue might have to do more with the modem than the router. Seperating the modem component from the wifi component gives you more choice with either product. Modems are cheap to replace and wifi routers that don't have modems tend to be better supported as well as reviewed.

TP link 8968 covers 1200 sq feet house ,strong signal every corner of the house( the router is kept in a corner ,not in the middle)...8961 has weaker 3dBi antaenna....

Similar to the asus n13-b1. If you know what that is. In fact if you don't need the usb port you can go for the 8961. It has the same performance for cheaper. We can't answer the range question until you tell us how much range you need and what the intervening obstacles ie walls are.

Am beginning to think the heating issue might have to do more with the modem than the router. Seperating the modem component from the wifi component gives you more choice with either product. Modems are cheap to replace and wifi routers that don't have modems tend to be better supported as well as reviewed.

No , performance isnt the same in any way !

Last edited by a moderator:
TP link 8968 covers 1200 sq feet house ,strong signal every corner of the house( the router is kept in a corner ,not in the middle)...8961 has weaker 3dBi antaenna....

No , performance isnt the same in any way !
Am referring to wifi performance as the same wifi chipset (Ralink RT5392) is used in the 8961 as well as 8968. Whether the 8968 got better power amps i doubt but given the similar chipset i'd expect similar performance.

A 2 dB antenna difference is slight. Think about it, you lose anywhere from 5-10dB when crossing a wall. Walls in my case are 11 inches, you'll have less loss with 6 inch walls. To get a perceptible improvement you need at least 6dB antenna difference. 3db ->8 or 9dB will get you through an extra wall. In an open space you will see a more marked difference but with walls in between it will be slight.

Anyway, that's me affirming the positive. You're saying there is a difference can you tell us in what way and by how much ?

[DOUBLEPOST=1377641804][/DOUBLEPOST]
Range required is around 60 feet with 2 walls in between.
How thick are your walls ? 6 inches or 11 inches.

Do you have any existing wifi routers, or used one previously in that location or one you can borrow to do a test.

Last edited:
coming back to the original question, a router and modem are always preferred separately

however, i have used a tp link product and its been very decent. so i would suggest the tp link to be purchased as its within the budget....

The walls are 6 inches thick. And a correction, it needs to go through 3 walls. I do get a weak signal from my current router at a distance of approx. 30-35 feet with 3 walls in between.

You get a weak signal with your DGN1000 through 3 (6 inch) walls at a distance 30-35 feet.

The problems are it heats up and the signal isn't strong enough to open certain websites.

However the DG834G had better range & performance. This was acceptable.

So you're looking for something with similar performance to the DG834G but without the heating.

I think either the 8961 or 8968 will be good enough for range but i can't be sure about heating. Anyone with either of those models wants to comment about heating ?

What is the reason for the heating ? is it the modem. Would a g.dmt setting mean less heat.

I would like a little longer range than the DG834G and yes without the excessive heating. If I go for a separate router only, which one would be best option?

How much further is little longer ? How far away from the DG834G did you get acceptable performance ?

At this point i'd like to understand why your router was heating up in the first place. Any one got any ideas ?

My modem is on 24/7/365, it gets mildly warm. Same applies for the router as well.

Temperature in my room is around 25c, presently without any fan or ac.

I would love to get a router with a range of at least 45 feet. With the DG834G, I got acceptable performance at a distance of around 30 feet. I don't know why both my netgear routers heats up a lot after 2-3 hours of usage. When I took the DG834G to the service center, the engineer there after checking agreed with me that it was defective and told me that it has to be replaced.

I would love to get a router with a range of at least 45 feet. With the DG834G, I got acceptable performance at a distance of around 30 feet.
How many walls within that 30 feet ?

I don't know why both my netgear routers heats up a lot after 2-3 hours of usage. When I took the DG834G to the service center, the engineer there after checking agreed with me that it was defective and told me that it has to be replaced.
Right, defective product or power adapter. But what are the odds it happens twice in a row ? low i would think. Were you running the latest firmware on both of them.

See, i cannot promise you it won't happen again.

So your choice is either the 8961 or 8968. Either will give you better range than what you had and both have detachable antennas so you can always attach 8dBi antennas for more range. The 8968 has a usb port so you can attach USB HDDs to it as well as 3G usb modems (quite limited choice here)

Can't say anything about the heating though. Suggest you contact the tp-link service centre in your city to find out where they are in case you have a problem.

Last edited:
Back